Can my tank survive a couple of days without a filter?

Melinda P

So the motor unit on my AquaClear died. I don’t have a back up filter (I know shame on me) to use while the Co-Op order with a sponge filter comes in (To replace the motor was $20-30 plus shipping, while the sponge filter was $7.....you can do the math)

Will my tank/fish be okay for the couple days without a filter? What should I do to tide it over until my order arrives?

It’s a 20g long with 15 neon tetras, 6 ember tetras, and a school of panda corys. Fully cycled and partially planted. 

It should be fine but you should leave water ffilter media you had in the aquarium to help with beneficial bacteria. I would do 20% water changes every other day. 7 dollars for a sponge filter? Did you make sure to buy everything else you need with one. The whole setup cost me 30

2 minutes ago, Dwayne Brown said:

It should be fine but you should leave water ffilter media you had in the aquarium to help with beneficial bacteria. I would do 20% water changes every other day. 7 dollars for a sponge filter? Did you make sure to buy everything else you need with one. The whole setup cost me 30

Thanks! I have everything else I need for a sponge filter (airline tubing, air pump, air stone, etc), just not the filter itself 🙃

My aquariums went almost 9 days with zero filtration from the Texas storm. If you want you could always disturb the water yourself like say, use a cup, pull some water and pour it back in a few times. I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. The co-op's shipping is usually pretty fast. Like @ererer said, if you have an airstone just use that for water circulation. You should be fine. 

5 hours ago, FishyJames said:

Just test your water and do a water change if necessary.  You should be fine.

Make sure and keep an eye on your ammonia levels even after the sponge arrives, it may take a little time for the new filter to catch up and establish bacteria on it.

Edited by awymorePDX

13 hours ago, ererer said:

I'd run the air stone for water circulation and to encourage gas exchange, even if you don't have a sponge yet.

That's a good idea.  You need it all set up for the sponge filter anyway.  When the sponge filter arrives remove the end of the air line from the air stone and plug it into the sponge filter.