Fluval 3.0 partial customization.

FishyMike

Hello everyone,

Wanted to share my minor customization to my fluval 3.0. I wanted to get risers so I would get better dispersed light but couldn’t come across any that looked good and weren’t a million dollars. I searched near and far and found an L bracket at petco in the reptile section for 12 dollars so I got 2 and 3D printed a new base “where it clips to my tank” and an attachment/ adapter I could use the fluval clip mounts(by the way I emailed Fluval and they were nice enough to just send me a set!!! So all in all it cost me 25 dollars + 1 dollar in plastic for the 3D printer.... let me know what you think/ if anyone is interested In my STL file I can send you the file.....

Exo-Terra Light Bracket Light Dome Support Fixture, 6.5" L X 18.75" H - Carousel image #1

image.jpeg.a40327b3e57804292783df0c2fdd3707.jpeg

57D268CC-34F9-4E5F-9336-203CA6E1037C.jpeg

3D4DDC56-0CE7-42D7-97A5-B2809F245DED.jpeg

FCA67E70-8D0B-4309-A0B1-81C01A0EDDD2.jpeg

436C935A-75DC-40B4-85F2-BE55EEF440C3.jpeg

DFF3534A-48A5-4097-A7C9-DBE060DC4BB3.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

My only suggestion would be to swap those screw to the back so they aren't in the tank, or switching to a nylon or acrylic screw. Even high corosion resistant steel will rust under aquarium conditions.

Overall it looks really good. Nice work.

Edited by Ryan F
  • Thanks 1

Ooh this is different take to what I did with my riser. I simply recreated the end hooks and made it so they friction fit onto the old ones.
Approximately a 1' Lift and Printed with PETG because you have to flex one of the hooks to get it over the metal bar. Maybe we should start a 'Fluval 3.0 Light Mod' Thread? Here are some pictures of my risers.IMG_0919.jpg.5ab03c615125597225ea0e915e76d8fd.jpgIMG_0918.jpg.629a0605b25478057c36d50f9cb2e06e.jpg

I need to try your solution since it does get a bit annoying to constantly lift my light to take the lid off.

Edited by Mattyzz
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Wanted to share my minor customization to my fluval 3.0. I wanted to get risers so I would get better dispersed light but couldn’t come across any that looked good and weren’t a million dollars. I searched near and far and found an L bracket at petco in the reptile section for 12 dollars so I got 2 and 3D printed a new base “where it clips to my tank” and an attachment/ adapter I could use the fluval clip mounts(by the way I emailed Fluval and they were nice enough to just send me a set!!! So all in all it cost me 25 dollars + 1 dollar in plastic for the 3D printer.... let me know what you think/ if anyone is interested In my STL file I can send you the file.....

Bravo @Mikeo! Aquarium accessories can be ridiculously expensive. Your solution is practical and elegant.  3D printers are truly amazing, aren't they? 🤩 OK, I gotta do it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nicely done! Especially considering what the going rate for mounting arms are these days. Mounting arms for the Kessil lights are $79 a pop, and even the goosenecks I use are still $35 each. A very elegant, and very affordable solution, very nice.

I'll really have to get a 3D printer seeing all the different ways it can be used.

• Thanks 1