Reducing fx4 flow

Chewyrat77

I think putting it inside the nozzle would cause a problem sooner or later. The pump might not work as well if you put the sponge there. I would try to maybe put something like a decoration in front of the output in order to disperse the flow. You could try to put a sponge or coarse filter pad in the output but there might be a problem with the sponge or filter pad staying in the output. 

I've been running my fx4 with pre filters on the intake and output for about a year now. Cuts the harsh flow to almost nothing. My betta swims around the sponge and picks stuff off of it. I put an amp clamp on the motor and no increased amperage with the sponges on. 

20210110_133503.jpg

20210110_133653.jpg

Since it's not really intuitive, I'll mention it here that reducing a pump's flow actually reduces it's power draw and load, not the other way around. Don't worry about using restrictions to reduce flow on your filters, it won't damage them.

1 hour ago, PatrickB said:

Since it's not really intuitive, I'll mention it here that reducing a pump's flow actually reduces it's power draw and load, not the other way around. Don't worry about using restrictions to reduce flow on your filters, it won't damage them.

It may reduce the velocity of the water coming out of the outlets but it won't reduce the pumps flow. With out slowing the motor down it's still trying to pump as much as it did before. So in theory you could cause restriction which could over amp the motor.