That one fish....

morphy1701

Anyone else have that one breed of fish they love but simply can't keep alive? Mine is Gouramis. I love them, but I have failed every time I try to keep them. No clue why. I guess just bad luck. I can keep them a few months and then something always happens. Everything else I am fine with, but not them. So I have given up. Sticking with South American fish now because I seem to do well with them.

Anyone else have this issue?

One of my favorites, that i just seem to have bad luck with is pygmy hatchet fish. I love watching those shiny fat bellies dart around the water surface. It’s never any consistent issue with them, i just have had multiple cascading problems over and over. A couple to very bad ich cases, 1 to a hob intake (why i love pre filters so much), 2 of them to stress from a bad tank mate ( a white skirt tetra, go figure), a few mystery deaths. 

Not really anything so far. I only keep really hardy fish like corydoras, endlers, snails, and gouramis. Though I would say anything from PetSmart I can't keep alive for very long. Stuff from my local stores never have any disease and are always very healthy though.

So my choice is not a fish, but a plant. I never can keep Cabomba from slowly disintegrating.

Oddly, my kid has had the worst luck with Bettas of all things. One got velvet (or came in with it?) One seemed to have some kind of wasting parasite that the med trio didn't touch. One came in with fin rot, stress stripes, and was not eating from the start. Some from LFS, some from Big Box, doesn't seem to matter where they are from. Honestly, I think the kid picks sick fish--they look needy. These fish have heated 10gallon planted tanks and get fed premium food, so they are living the betta high life. I supervised the most recent purchase, so fingers crossed...

Tetras were my nemesis for a while, until I found the med trio. If there ever was a fish that needed to be treated...

• Like 1

Guppies. For some reason I can't keep them going, even though I have mollies in that tank and they do just fine.

I can do stem plants and moss just fine in my 20 gallon, but can't get them to grow to save my life in the 60 gallon. They melt like crazy.