Any online fish clubs?

Kirsten

So, now that I've fallen super hard for this hobby, I would love to get more involved, swap fish and plants with others, learn more about breeding programs. I have some local groups, but I think they're having trouble meeting thanks to COVID and they have super old websites that haven't been updated in a long time and don't seem to respond to emails.

Any ideas about groups that are comfortable meeting online?

Honestly, I just wish I had the same awesome group I've found here of open-minded and inclusive planted tank enthusiasts, but that we could swap floating plants and snails and livebearer fry mutts 🙂

• Like 2

I feel the same way! Some of the old forums are sometimes a decade old and the community went inactive long ago. I don't know about groups meeting online, but after the pandemic there will probably be a lot of groups reforming. Now I don't know where you're looking for, but in the PNW there is the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society, and on aquarium co op's website they have other clubs listed ( https://www.aquariumcoop.com/apps/store-locator ) all over North America and Europe. Hope this helps. 

PS. I can relate to the mutts 😂😂

• Like 2

Most clubs are doing online activities instead of in person meetings now. I am a member of three clubs and all have done several online things. There are also several larger clubs that have advertised on Facebook and had online webinars and programs that anyone can join in on. I have been on for a talk that @Dean’s Fishroom did with one of the Chicago clubs, and have taken part in programs with several other well known fish keepers. 

8 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

Most clubs are doing online activities instead of in person meetings now. I am a member of three clubs and all have done several online things. There are also several larger clubs that have advertised on Facebook and had online webinars and programs that anyone can join in on. I have been on for a talk that @Dean’s Fishroom did with one of the Chicago clubs, and have taken part in programs with several other well known fish keepers. 

That's awesome! I'll keep an eye out for the larger clubs. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

There's the New England Council of Aquarium Societies: https://www.northeastcouncil.org/

Our local club, the Tropical Fish Club of Burlington, is a member. We've been doing monthly online meetings with presentations from either local club members or guest speakers, we had Scott Feldman from Tannin Aquatics this month. We did an auction in October, and met in a parking lot (with masks) to exchange fish/items. We're doing an online auction with PVAS, the Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society, in the beginning of March. One of our members is going to drive down to exchange fish and plants and then drive back. Your profile says you're in Western Mass, PVAS is based out of Springfield.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I joined the Potomac Valley AS in January and got to see @Dean’s Fishroomat the virtual meeting in February. They're having a tailgate sale in a church parking lot in April, with appropriate social distancing and masks. I can't wait!!

• Like 1

In its own way, this forum is an online fish club. You are an honorary 'nerm' now.🙂

This!!

I would love to have the ability to exchange plants/fish/inverts with you all. I totally understand why it’s against the rules, plus the shipping would be a huge pain. (Unless you have a fish portal connection like @Brandy and I do.) Not advocating for a change, just dreaming.

With our powers combined, we would be the best fish club EVER!

• Like 3