Litter without tannins

keddre

Hey y'all, I want to do a slightly more natural aquarium for my neons and shrimp with leaf litter and debri as you would find in nature, but I am already growing some high-light cabombas so I wanted to try and restrict tannins. Any ideas, or am I shooting for the stars? I am already getting a decent amount of tannins from my driftwood.

Thanks in advance,

keddre

6 minutes ago, David W said:

use Purigen in a hob filter. It does a great job removing tannins.

I agree with David on this one. Pound for pound purigen is much more aggressive at removing tannins than activated carbon. If purigen is too aggressive for you and you want to keep some tannins then activated carbon might be better. Lastly if you want moderate amount of tannins filter floss is the weakest of the 3. Those methods will reduce tannins after releasing into your water column, and as mentioned above boiling will pre release the tannins before entering your water column. I personally like tannins in my water and find that over time through water changes, it is a bit more difficult to keep tannins in my water column, than it is to remove them. But that may just be my experience, someone else may have a contrary experience. 

Purigen. Scott has written a bunch on “Clearwater botanicals” in his blog, like so https://tanninaquatics.com/blogs/the-tint-1/on-the-tint

Carbon doesn’t remove a meaningful amount of fertilizer btw, though the number is non zero. Otherwise we’d all just run carbon rather than removing nitrate with water changes 

Edited by AdamTill