Fisk keep dying

Neil

I set up a planted aquarium in early November 2020 .   

Added 5 guppies in early January 2021 which died one by one.

Bought 3 more guppies from a different pet store and they also died one by one.  I just tested my water no ammonia at all (test tube was clear as could be).  Very high PH like almost 8.0.   Any thoughts?

Thank You

Edited by Neil
mistake

Ok, walk us through your water change routine. include where your water comes from...well? municipal? Give us any symptoms the guppies showed. Let us know your tank temp. And I don't understand "completely clear" in the nitrate and ammonia tubes, as mine (API tests) are yellow when they read zero, so just to double check, what kit are you using? If it is API, and the tube isn't yellow, double check your directions.

• Like 1

Typically guppies can have parasites, but are tolerant to a wide range of water parameters and conditions. Guppies are sometimes imported from countries that use salt/brackish water in their production, and that can put them in shock when they come back to fresh water here.  Usually those are the more expensive strains, but not always.

• Like 1

Never did a water change because never had any ammonia. Only added 5 guppies about 3 weeks ago so I guess ammonia never had time to develop?  I use city water and yes I am using the API kit.  Ammonia test (add 8 drops to tube and every time completely clear).   Temperture 75 degrees.   Guppies very lively and alert at first but a few days later  sluggish and hanging out near surface of water and the next day, dead.  

Two quick (possibly ridiculous) questions:

1. You said you add 8 drops of the Ammonia test. But did you mean 8 drops from each bottle?  The API test kit has 2 separate Ammonia bottles that you have to use to test for ammonia.

2. Do you use a dechlorinator? You mention that you have city water, but nothing about using a dechlorinator. I realize this may be a ridiculous question, but wanted to cover the bases. 

What size aquarium do you have, and were you using any sort of fertilizers for the plants?

• Like 1

That is a zero ammonia test.

You have to read the instructions for the API test carefully. They are all different and won't work uless they are carried out exactly. You have never done a water change in 3 months. This is likely your problem.

Yep! @Brandy is correct. The ammonia and nitrate tests both have two different bottles and you have to use both of them, in the correct order, following the correct directions about shaking, for each test. Basically you have to play scientist. 😉

If you’d rather not bother with all those steps, you might consider getting test strips. No shaking or adding drops from multiple bottles.

As a backup, you can also take your water to a fish store and they’ll usually test it for you.

I would also still recommend getting an air stone. Having more oxygen in the tank will help no matter what. 👍

Years ago I just remember using one bottle however it was an individual ammonia test kit.    Another question, this reading seems to b at the low end of the ammonia scale.   A high level of ammonia would b like a greenish color, right?

Ammonia in a partially cycled tank could spike quite high on one day, then be a nitrite spike the second or 3rd day, then become nitrate. I have seen guppies handle the initial ammonia spike, show some flashing and distress over the nitrite spike, and continue flashing as the nitrate climbs past 40ppm. Higher pH means lower levels of ammonia are more toxic, my water is low pH so my fish are insulated from ammonia problems slightly.

How long did it take them to die "one by one"? Days, weeks, or hours? If it took weeks I would suspect some disease. If it were days or hours, I would say water quality.

In my experience the liquid test kit results are most reliable when used exactly as directed. The nitrates test especially is very to get a false reading without shaking the bottle vigorously for a minute or two. Also, I had a terrible time with guppies and platys until I paid closer attention to my gh and kh water hardness. I had a high ph out of the tap but zero hardness or buffering. If you have softer water it may not be killing your guppies, but raising the hardness could help them overcome and fight through other ailments 

The Nitrate test is also the same as ammonia (except 10 drops of each instead of 8). Both need to be used together in the same vial. Be sure to vigorously shake bottle #2. It would be helpful to determine if you have some small level of Nitrates in the tank, as that would indicate that it is cycled.

Also, in regards to livebearers like Guppies, they tend to thrive in harder water. (Higher GH). GH and KH parameters would also be very helpful. That would be an additional test, not in the API kit, but very worth purchasing. The Tetra strips are great for those.

When you are ready to try again, take your water to a fish store and ask them to compare it to theirs. Do check GH and KH, particularly relative to theirs. If it is dramatically different fix that first. Then, keep testing for ammonia and nitrite daily, and if you see a spike take steps to lower that--ask how if you are not sure. 

Finally, consider premptively treating your guppies with API General Cure or Fritz Paraclense. Parasites are a thing, and they can develop slowly before reaching critical mass. Hopefully with a better water change schedule you will be in the clear.

• Like 1

Also guppies like hard water. I know your pH is high but so is mine but my GH and KH are both very moderate. These things can also be affected somewhat by the contents of your tank. It is likely a combo of all the things. Also there are things that we don’t or can’t measure which may affect things as well. Some people may be able to keep the most finicky fish in the world alive and can’t keep what many would say are easy fish alive for no good reason. 

As others have mentioned I have to say that quarantining fish and treating with the med trio has also made a huge difference in my fish survival. 

Edited by AquaAggie
  • Like 1

Did you notice anything different about the guppies as they died?  Were they bloated (could be organ failure due to lack of minerals in the water)? Did they lose their color. Did they shimmy/shake? Or did they hang out at the top of the tank occasionally breaking the top of the water. Also what is the water temperature?

Guppies enjoy minerals in the water. Since you have a planted tank I would recommend a wondershell being added over adding salts.