Good floating plants......

Ramie

In my experience, frogbit's roots get too long for a 5 gallon - unless you want to keep on top of trimming them to give your betta swimming space, which is completely doable. I have duckweed in all of my tanks and I love it, but it does get EVERYWHERE... it's the glitter of aquariums. I've found it on my feet, on the doorknobs, in my hair and on my clothes. There is a giant version of duckweed that is nano enough for 5 gallons, but big enough not to be as spreadable; "Salvinia minima."

• Haha 1

I've currently got duckweed, red root floaters, salvia minima, frogbit, and water sprite spread out in my tanks. The red root floaters won't be red under less intense light, but should still grow well under less light. The water sprite would likely overwhelm a five gallon tank pretty quickly. The duckweed/glitter comparison is very apt. You can't go too far wrong with any of them. The salvia minima in one of my tanks is growing much like duckweed and taking over that tank but behaving itself elsewhere. I've grown azolla in my water garden in the past, but never in an aquarium, but I may look to pick some up to try inside.

how much light in the room? Tank lights are cheap on amazon, but if you have NONE, and don't want them, I would say "bright indirect light" from  a window like you might grow a house plant in will probably grow duckweed nicely. The trick with duckweed is to throw away some every week or two. It is removing fish waste from your tank that way, but nicer than scooping up poop.

• Thanks 1

Low light but some from a window a good part of the day...and i put a "not very well fitting but will do for now" glass top on it so it gets some light from an overhead light in the evening but the light is pretty high up. The lid/light the tank came with causes him to see his reflection too much..even with matte backgrounds etc. I actually have a fluval plant nano light to go on an upgrade but we have to do some renovations/repairs near where that tank is going to be set up first so he is still in the 5..i suppose i could see if it would fit on my 5 gallon and not cause a reflection problem. But id have to take it off the tank every night because i switch lids as i worry the glass lets out too much heat at night.

I received duck weed free on plants I ordered from someone other than the Co-Op. I'm not a fan of the small variety, but the giant variety of duck weed is much more manageable.  I find that it grows well in low light. I also got the giant duck weed for free in a bag with some shrimp I bought at a local swap. Here are some pics for size comparison and the amount of light I have on my giant duck weed.

1790171809_ZomboMeme11012021130312.jpg.c334bb361fbdd50bff1c310f33609114.jpg

20210111_130438.jpg.880cdbca0eb90afe45d90ab7a288b14a.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brandy said:

Duckweed is practically free for the asking. You need to find someone local who has it and they will generally happily give you a handful. Check sites like craigslist and offerup, whatever your local version is.

I will check...but idk anyone in my area who keeps fish...and we only have a petsmart. The closest actual fish store is 2 hours away. But maybe craigslist or fb marketplace. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aubrey said:

I received duck weed free on plants I ordered from someone other than the Co-Op. I'm not a fan of the small variety, but the giant variety of duck weed is much more manageable.  I find that it grows well in low light. I also got the giant duck weed for free in a bag with some shrimp I bought at a local swap. Here are some pics for size comparison and the amount of light I have on my giant duck weed.

1790171809_ZomboMeme11012021130312.jpg.c334bb361fbdd50bff1c310f33609114.jpg

20210111_130438.jpg.880cdbca0eb90afe45d90ab7a288b14a.jpg

Im kinda digging the frogbit

1 minute ago, Ramie said:

I will check...but idk anyone in my area who keeps fish...and we only have a petsmart. The closest actual fish store is 2 hours away. But maybe craigslist or fb marketplace. 

You can of course order off eBay and the like. Just don't pay much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

You can of course order off eBay and the like. Just don't pay much.

And don't buy a lot. If any of the floaters do well in your conditions you'll have more than you know what to do with in a very short period of time. I bought a mix of red root floaters, frogbit, and salvinia minima from eBay with six of each, and I've got dozens/hundreds of each now and I'm throwing away excess plants. There are a few sellers offering a mix of floating plants at a fair price (I think I paid $6.99 shipping included) and that's a good way to experiment. Some people want to sell you a cup of duckweed. That's way more than you need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you have a HOB filter or other filter type with a bit of a waterfall, just keep in mind smaller floating plants (salivinia, duckweed) will get shot under water, that can clog up the filter intake (a pre-filter sponge can help with that) and in the case of salivinia, it'll make it grumpy, it likes to stay dry on top.  You can use airline tubing or a feeding ring to make a space that stays free of them so they don't go under.  An airline in the tank can make enough bubbles that pop and get the salivinia wet on top too.  For salivinia an internal filter where the output is under the water surface gives the best results of all the tanks I have it in.

A light as simple as a desk lamp (I have a planted tank lit with an idea clip-on desk lamp that is growing moneywort, brazilian pennywort, cabomba and floaters) can work well, and would only likely need to be on a few hours a day just to keep your floaters going.

Other plants that can be grown floating but aren't really floaters technically - anything that isn't a heavy root feeder.  Pennywort, water ferns, guppy grass, wisteria, hornwort.  Java moss doesn't have to be planted, it'll settle on the bottom or you can attach it to a rock or decor item and it's a low light plant.

Edited by CanadaAmanda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ramie said:

What are some plants that arent "floating plants" but could be grown/kept floating?

Lots of stem plants will grow fine as floating plants. Hornwort is probably the most common recommendation, but any stem plant that primarily gathers nutrients through the water column will grow well floating at the surface. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll second the recommendation of red root floaters, they're sorta the goldilocks floating plant. They don't grow crazy like duckweed, grow nice looking roots that don't get too long and have to be trimmed, and can withstand high moisture and do fine with an aquarium with a lid that traps humidity and sheds condensation. 

• Thanks 1