Sponge filters

Chiclid addict

There is probably a way to "hot rod" your HOB but I would add a sponge anyway.  Air stone are good and if you have one it might as well be in a sponge.  Plus you should have an intake spindle on the HOB.  Post the one you have, I am sure there are ways to make it better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JettsPapa said:

What HOB do you have, and can you clarify "just not doing it"?

Yeah I have a aqueon 75 that is supposed to be just over 400gph but it if loud and doesn’t keep the tank as clean as I’d like even with water changes and my other tank that I used this on was with a couple angels so I want to replace it and was looking at sponge filters but if I would have to have other filters I will probably buy a canister and supplement it with sponge filters because I am using it as a permanent tank for a couple discus and have had good experience with canister filters before 

Edited by Angelfishlover

Sponge filters would be enough from a biological filtration perspective. But if your HOB is "not keeping the tank as clean as you would like" it probably means you want to see more mechanical filtration. Personally I am happy with the sponges because I have low current tanks, so witthout the added current caused by the other filters it seems the particulates settle and get vacuumed out. They are still there, but I see them less.

• Like 1

Our 55 gal Amazon tank runs on 2x large sponge filters, one in either side back corner, and an additional airline down the center-back for flow. Has been going strong for 1x year. No problems. 

This video below (made to explain how we keep discus simple and happy) shows the set up.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 12.30.47 PM.png

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Sponge filters would be enough from a biological filtration perspective. But if your HOB is "not keeping the tank as clean as you would like" it probably means you want to see more mechanical filtration. Personally I am happy with the sponges because I have low current tanks, so witthout the added current caused by the other filters it seems the particulates settle and get vacuumed out. They are still there, but I see them less.

Yeah I think my biggest problem with the hob it that it’s loud it doesn’t suck at cleaning as much as I think,I think I am just frustrated with it because with the amount that of noise it makes you would think it’s doing like 700gph at least

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Angelfishlover said:

Yeah I think my biggest problem with the hob it that it’s loud it doesn’t suck at cleaning as much as I think,I think I am just frustrated with it because with the amount that of noise it makes you would think it’s doing like 700gph at least

Try tapping on the lid and see if that helps.  Sometimes they can vibrate and create noise.  If the noise that's bothering you is from the water falling into the tank then raising the water level can help.

8 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

Try tapping on the lid and see if that helps.  Sometimes they can vibrate and create noise.  If the noise that's bothering you is from the water falling into the tank then raising the water level can help.

Thank you for the advice the noise that is bothering me is a rattling I believe it is completely from the impeller witch I have cleaned multiple times but taping on the lid helped partly