Texas Cichlids (Rio Grande Cichlid)

Art Vandelay

Texas Cichlid (Rio Grande Cichlid)

I'm just curious if anyone has heard of these fish, or owned any, and if they are still seen in the hobby, how rare are they, etc..

Before taking a 25 year break from the hobby, I had a pair of these from a fish store in Texas. I think they're the only cichlids from the Americas, or North America at least. They come from the Rio Grande River here and they're stunning looking, as you can see.

Green-Texas-Cichlid-Rio-Grande-Cichlid.jpg

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Like 2

Texas Cichlids are beautiful fish.  My LFS had some in about 6 months ago. They are the only cichlid native to the United States,  but I believe there are several species native to Mexico. Are you getting back into cichlids? Welcome back! 😊

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lynze said:

Texas Cichlids are beautiful fish.  My LFS had some in about 6 months ago. They are the only cichlid native to the United States,  but I believe there are several species native to Mexico. Are you getting back into cichlids? Welcome back! 😊

Thanks. Don't know if I'm getting cichlids again. I've been cooped up at home because of the pandemic, stumbled onto an aquascaping video on youtube, and fell down the rabbit hole, haha. I want to plan and build a "scape", and let it grow a while, and consider what fish to get while its cycling and aging.

Now is definitely the best time to jump back in! 👍 Admittedly, my cichlid tanks are usually my worst scaped tanks. My cichlids and plants don't do well long term. If they're not eating them, they're digging them up, or playing with them. Caught an Electric Blue Acara detaching some super glued java fern the other day by repeatedly shaking his head like a dog with a chew toy, and then parading it around the tank with it in his mouth like a trophy. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Edited by Lynze
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2022 at 12:37 PM, Ender97 said:

I am trying to get some Texas Cichlids and am finding them impossible to source. Does anyone know any breeders? Is that something that is a void in the market? I live on the lower Pecos river and know that some verities used to be found here....

@Art Vandelay I figured Art is in the import-export business already and can import them as needed....

I have some escondido carpintis which depending on who you ask are Texas or closely related. I have about 75 fry but they are not even a 1/2 an inch yet. I can try to get some pictures of the parents for you, but if might take a few days. You are welcome to some if you want some. eBay does have some as well. I got mine from a breeder in the Miami area. They are supposed to be from an area in Guatemala that’s way I didn’t say they were Texas. If you put escondido carpintis in google likely Texas will come up. 

Edited by rockfisher