Fritz or Seachem

Patrick S.

• Administrators

Oh man, I've got opinions on this lol. I feel that each company makes certain products well, but not all. I like Seachem's fertilizer options, I've used Flourish and Flourish Advance in the past with good success. Still prefer Easy green though for simplicity. Also - Seachem Purigen is a superior filtration media for organics, nothing like it. However, I hate their Prime dechlorinator. It's so. dang. concentrated. I always feel like I'm dosing too much.

For Fritz - I personally find it confusing to dose Fritz meds. That being said, Cory has tested a bunch of different ways to administer Paracleanse and Maracyn which I actually have had success with. I also quite like Fritz's dechlorinator options. Particularly ACCR, Complete (with pump from Co-Op) and Fritz Guard as it has aloe in it. I am also mildly skeptical of the bacteria/turbo start products and I don't rely on them 100% without water testing to make sure the cycle took. But, I do believe they help speed the process along by establishing a colony of viable bacteria. I use Zyme 7 when setting up tanks.

In summary, I pick and choose from each and don't stick with one brand in particular. 🙂 (sorry this was long, it could have been longer, I have strong opinions about hobbyist products haha)

11 minutes ago, Lynze said:

I'm with @StephenP2003 on being loyal to neither brand and grabbing what I have on hand. I do like the pump though. 

I just bought my own pump tops and keep a few old seachem bottles on hand. The size 24-410 pump tops fit the seachem bottles, so I buy what I can in bulk and fill up. I use them for my custom mixed ferts (low nitrate, 0 phosphate), Mineralize (dissolved calcium and magnesium), and prime/whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lizzie Block said:

Oh man, I've got opinions on this lol. I feel that each company makes certain products well, but not all. I like Seachem's fertilizer options, I've used Flourish and Flourish Advance in the past with good success. Still prefer Easy green though for simplicity. Also - Seachem Purigen is a superior filtration media for organics, nothing like it. However, I hate their Prime dechlorinator. It's so. dang. concentrated. I always feel like I'm dosing too much.

For Fritz - I personally find it confusing to dose Fritz meds. That being said, Cory has tested a bunch of different ways to administer Paracleanse and Maracyn which I actually have had success with. I also quite like Fritz's dechlorinator options. Particularly ACCR, Complete (with pump from Co-Op) and Fritz Guard as it has aloe in it. I am also mildly skeptical of the bacteria/turbo start products and I don't rely on them 100% without water testing to make sure the cycle took. But, I do believe they help speed the process along by establishing a colony of viable bacteria. I use Zyme 7 when setting up tanks.

In summary, I pick and choose from each and don't stick with one brand in particular. 🙂 (sorry this was long, it could have been longer, I have strong opinions about hobbyist products haha)

This is so helpful! I’d love to know what else you have to share!

I've been using ACCR and it's great, does it's job well. Been dosing straight to the tank and putting tap water with a garden hose at the same time. Haven't had any problem and fish don't seem stressed! Definitely works, plus, it's real easy to dose with regular kitchen measuring spoons, or co-op's very own measuring spoon. It also has no smell.

1 hour ago, Ken said:

That is gold. Have you measured how much is dispensed per pump?

Depends on where you get them. The first batch I bought dispensed a half milliliter per pump -- great for nano tanks. Another set I bought dispenses 5ml every 3 pumps, which I prefer. I imagine there's many variations including the common 1ml/pump.  I wouldn't mind a 5ml/pump option to fertilize my "high tech" tanks.

• Thanks 1