Need exp faster

Novabound

I have a hard time figuring out what i want to do with my tanks. I feel like i have instagram envy syndrome because it seems like no matter what i do, I'm never satisfied with my tanks. And then i watch videos and read posts and they're accompanied by gorgeous aquascapes that feel like they went out to a lake, assembled a glass box in a section of it, and then placed it in their home a la minecraft. 

I then stare at all the hours i put into my tanks and it just feels super amature hour. Sometimes i rearrange some things in hope that I'll enjoy it more but i feel like constantly moving plants is hindering growth, which in turn makes things take longer to get to the "filled in" look...only to get the itch to rearrange it a month later.

I've only been in the hobby for a year, is restlessness common at this stage of experience? It feels like being able to picture a painting of your own creation in your head vividly in great detail, but not having the artistic ability to be able to actually paint it.

Would it be weird to ask for people to criticize my tanks?

45 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Not sure how many tanks you have but maybe consider one or two "test" or "in work" tanks.  Play in the test tanks and let your display tanks mature. Your display tanks will thank you.

This is a good idea. I have a 75g, 10g, a 10g hospital, and a 7.5g. The hospital houses plants as well since it helps reduce stress in fish and acts as a holding cell for trimmings/plants recouping from shipping. 

I have had some trouble with this too--I have resisted full rescaping and gone the propagation route mostly. That has helped keep me "busy" and let things go. I also happily have a few things attached to movable hardscape--Anubis and java fern and moss attached to pebbles and bits of cholla. I find that can also help fill a gap while something else is growing in.

Mostly my tanks are very much a work in progress, but I think lots of us would be happy to see pics of any tank, so if you want to show and tell, I say go for it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is normal even for professional artists. I don’t know of a single aesthetic skill where anyone is satisfied with their own work long term. Whether it’s a plant arrangement, an aquarium, a painting, a website, or woodworking, the minute you’re “done” you will always see what could be improved in your own work. 

The journey, iteration, and experimentation is also where the most fun is. Would you really enjoy it as much if you set up tanks to perfection the first time every time? You’d run out of space three times as quick at least! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Novabound said:

I have a hard time figuring out what i want to do with my tanks. I feel like i have instagram envy syndrome because it seems like no matter what i do, I'm never satisfied with my tanks. And then i watch videos and read posts and they're accompanied by gorgeous aquascapes that feel like they went out to a lake, assembled a glass box in a section of it, and then placed it in their home a la minecraft. 

I then stare at all the hours i put into my tanks and it just feels super amature hour. Sometimes i rearrange some things in hope that I'll enjoy it more but i feel like constantly moving plants is hindering growth, which in turn makes things take longer to get to the "filled in" look...only to get the itch to rearrange it a month later.

I've only been in the hobby for a year, is restlessness common at this stage of experience? It feels like being able to picture a painting of your own creation in your head vividly in great detail, but not having the artistic ability to be able to actually paint it.

Would it be weird to ask for people to criticize my tanks?

I've felt the same way about some tanks I keep.  I try to create a masterpiece and then algae ruins it, and it becomes a constant struggle.  I have had success with some tanks though focusing on low light plants and going for the "jungle" look.  lol  Now I just try to do the best I can, and enjoy the fish and their health.  Look forward to seeing your posts and maybe folks can help!  Nice that you're open to critic!  cheers!

You could build up the substrate in the back of the tank to give the illusion of more depth in the tank. Also there's a really good picture showing various composition theories in this thread that you can use the help place your hardscape and plants. 

• Like 1