Help with Amazon Sword

Caleb20

Ive had this sword for about a month and a half. It started to melt back, which was expected. The new growth leaves were sprouting out and growing extremely well, until about 2 weeks ago (1 month in tank). I suspected it had already eaten all of the root tabs (2) I placed underneath it. So, I added to more directly under it. 

Now the plants leaves are looking black, but it doesn't look like the black beard algea I have seen. I also watched all of the nutrient deficiency videos, and this doesn't seem like any of it unless I'm missing something. l

I use API root tabs, dose 3 ml of seachem flourish every 3 days, and api c02 booster 4 ml every day. Water is 76-77 degrees, GH ~75 ppm, PH 7.0, near 0 Nitrates/nitrites. 36 gallon tank. 

I have a 27 w led about 9 inches above the tank, assuming each light is 1 watt?? 18 inch deep tank.

it was likely grown out of water.  the old leaves are dying off, because they arent used to being submersed. if it stays healthy the new leaves will take over, and the old ones will die off. perfectly normal imo. if the new leaves at the bottom start to suddenly die off or melt back, then its time to be concerned.

3 hours ago, Caleb20 said:

Those are new leaves at the bottom with black all over them. Thats why I'm concerned. The stems going up are the old leaves that are melting. Expected that to happen.

I am having trouble seeing the black all over them. It looks like they are just coming in slightly darker. I have a plant that does something similar, new growth is sort of dark grayish, and then as it grows it greens up. almost like how some terrestrial plants will have reddish new growth and then shift to green as the leaves mature. I believe there are even red sword varieties that do that.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tami said:

mine did the exact same thing, then the leaves went translucent and all came off when I stirred the water around it! planted it Oct 15 and it looks terrible

Don't lose hope, The roots are the important part. Mine were slow to pick up, root tabs may help.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

Do swords have rhizomes?  Are you maybe thinking of ferns?

Rhizome is a technical term for a thickened, usually horizontal, plant stem. You could make the case that an Amazon sword has a stubby rhizome, but you could just as easily call it a stem. It is a pretty fuzzy area.

Amazon swords often propagate from runners. Where do the runners originate from? The leaves, the roots, the stems, the rhizome? But still this isn't the same sort of rhizome you have in an Anubias or Cryptocoryne. And yes ferns have rhizomes too, but rhizomes are not restricted to ferns.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Rhizome is a technical term for a thickened, usually horizontal, plant stem. You could make the case that an Amazon sword has a stubby rhizome, but you could just as easily call it a stem. It is a pretty fuzzy area.

Amazon swords often propagate from runners. Where do the runners originate from? The leaves, the roots, the stems, the rhizome? But still this isn't the same sort of rhizome you have in an Anubias or Cryptocoryne. And yes ferns have rhizomes too, but rhizomes are not restricted to ferns.

Now I'm even more confused.  Crypts have rhizomes?

I think it is commonly referred to as the “crown”. Basically where the transition to roots takes place. Gently pull the plant so the roots are covered but the crown is sitting in the gravel. 

Also, root tabs. Amazon swords eat root tabs. Every other week. It stops growing start putting two every other week. It begins to yellow do it weekly. They are monsters that are never fed well enough. Haha. 

• Like 1

You plant looks to be coming back healthy. The black you are seeing is likely algae of some sort, but does not look like BBA. I would not be concerned. Mine swords did something similar with the dark algae. The algae cleared up on its own. I would recommend cutting the old larger leaves/stems off so the plant and focus on providing nutrients to the new growth. Swords eat a lot of fertilizer. Make sure to fertilize heavily (root tabs) and just be patient, it takes a while for the plant to adapt from being grown out of the water. Once it takes hold, it will take off. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - I have had root tabs around my sword since day 1 - added more and continued to get worse (actually faster) - did trim old leaves but was afraid to take them all off since all my new leaves died - the crown is above the gravel i can see where the roots are coming off it - also I see some new roots above the gravel line

Should I take off the last 3 "leaves" if thats what you call them at this point

I've found some varieties of swords are slow to take off when they are converting from emersed growth to submerged. I have a "Kleiner prinz" one that was partially converted when I got it in September that is still not fully converted, and I'm giving it plenty of root tabs. Just make sure you got a root tab or two under it, good lighting and it will grow, Leave it alone, don't move or mess with it and it will come back. 

• Like 1