Subwassertang ideas

shkote

Has anyone done anything interesting with Subwassertang? I have a big clump of it and I'd like to take half of it and attach to something. I have to leave the other half in my Betta tank, because he uses it as a big fluffy pillow.

Anyone have any creative ideas or photos of their Subwassertang?

1 hour ago, Lynze said:

Has anyone done anything interesting with Subwassertang? I have a big clump of it and I'd like to take half of it and attach to something. I have to leave the other half in my Betta tank, because he uses it as a big fluffy pillow.

Anyone have any creative ideas or photos of their Subwassertang?

I had some awhile back.  It really likes low light.  Mine was basically free floating, but did place some on a log in one of my aquariums.  It is very hardy.  Hope this helps. 😊

38 minutes ago, Lynze said:

That looks great @StephenP2003. I thought about finding a nice Manzanita branch and attaching it for a little tree. Did you tie yours on? 

Yes, I found the easiest way to keep it attached was to take small bunches and tie fishing line around them, then cover tips of branches with the individually tied bunches. Doing it this way involved a LOT of subwassertang. I have a spray bar across the top of my tank, and the current is too strong to just set it loosely or wedge loose bunches between branches, or even to tie the whole bit of it to the tree at once.

I don't have the best luck with moss, so now I'm just waiting to see if this will survive, grow a little, or die.

I first tried christmas moss. I chopped up the moss really well and spread superglue on black foam, then tried to rub the moss all over the glue (saw it on youtube). Then I waited a couple months, and it devolved to this:

Moss 6 1 2020 (2).jpg

I may get away with tucking or loosely tying it down. It's a low flow tank so I don't think it will be disturbed much. Now I just need to find the perfect piece of driftwood. 😁 I've got a pretty big ball of Subwassertang to play with, so hopefully it's enough. 

I've never heard of chopping up moss and gluing it to foam, that's a pretty good idea actually. And I thought I had played with moss every way possible. Neat! I hope it pulls through for you. It will look really nice if it does. 

I took all the foam pieces off the tree and am trying to grow them in three different places. Some in my living room tank, some in my live-bearer tank, and some in a Mason jar on a south facing window sill. So far the guppy tank is doing slightly better than the window, and the living room moss (high light) is nearly a lost cause. 

Ever thought about a moss wall?

I haven't done it with subwasserstang but it worked nicely with phoenix moss or stringy moss so perhaps it could also work with this.

Basic idea is take one of those 'plastic mesh canvas sheets' and lay out the moss on the sheet. Doesn't need to be thick, leave some space for it to grow and fill in. Then take a second sheet of the plastic mesh canvas sheet and lay it on top of the other, like you're basically making a plastic sheet and subwassarstang sandwich. Then take some fishing line and stitch the two sheets together with the moss in the middle. You don't have to go through every square. I just usually go around the perimeter every third or fourth square. And a couple  squares in the middle of the sheets to keep the moss from all sliding to the bottom. 

Secure this to this inside of a tank with suction cups and give it a couple months. It tends to fill in to a beautiful solid wall of moss, which is lovely to watch sway in the flow and fry also tend to love hiding in it.

• Thanks 1

I've done moss walls, bare bottom moss carpets, I've attached it to everything I could think of (and it has attached itself to everything I didn't want it to) But for some reason I've never really thought to play with Subwassertang or do anything special with it other than just let it sit there. 

It would definitely take longer than a couple months to fill in, but I think it could look nice! It's going in one of my side by side 10 gallons, so it would only need to be a small wall. 🤔 I might have to try it!

15 minutes ago, Nataku said:

Basic idea is take one of those 'plastic mesh canvas sheets' and lay out the moss on the sheet. Doesn't need to be thick, leave some space for it to grow and fill in. Then take a second sheet of the plastic mesh canvas sheet and lay it on top of the other, like you're basically making a plastic sheet and subwassarstang sandwich. Then take some fishing line and stitch the two sheets together with the moss in the middle. You don't have to go through every square. I just usually go around the perimeter every third or fourth square. And a couple  squares in the middle of the sheets to keep the moss from all sliding to the bottom. 

D'oh! I actually sewed christmas moss to mesh once, a square inch at a time. Why didn't I ever think of a sandwich?! 

Edited by Brandy

Sandwiching it and spreading it very thin works quite well. When I did bare bottom (doesn't have to be bare bottom) carpets with it, I used the same sandwich method and just super glued plant weights along the bottom edges and that worked great to hold it down in place. 

I've shared this photo on another thread, but this was the result of one of the "moss sandwiches"

20200330_203408.jpg.331fdccebf39e84117a937f76441ac42.jpg

I have not kept it, but the details of classifying it are interesting. From Wikipedia:

Süsswassertang (German spelling: Süßwassertang; see ß) is a type of aquarium plant. It was long considered to be a liverwort, which it strongly resembles, but in 2009, a molecular phylogenetic study determined that it is, in fact, a fern gametophyte. Further, it is a species of Lomariopsis.[1] It is closest to Lomariopsis lineata, but may be a new, unnamed species. Many reference sources on the web describe it as L. lineata, but its inclusion in that species has not been validly determined. Efforts to induce the plant to form a sporophyte have failed, which may indicate status as a new species. This plant was first mis-identified as Pellia endiviifolia before the analysis that determined its true status.

Edited by Streetwise
Formatting
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

One of the cool thing about plants is they have this alternation of generations where one generation has 2 sets of chromosomes (diploid) that gives rise to next generation which only has one set of chromosomes (haploid - side note, did you know all male honey bees are haploid as they arise from unfertilized eggs?).

In regular (vascular) plants the dominant/visible generation is the diploid generation with flowers and such. But in algae the dominant/visible form is the gametophyte phase. I see the gametophytes of Christmas ferns back in my woods in moist areas and these Christmas fern gametophytes look like a piece of spinach that might be caught between your teeth. These gametophytes produce sperm and eggs and ultimately give rise to the sporophyte Christmas ferns, which produce spores, which give rise to more gametophytes, etc. and hence the cycle of life. Umm, I thinking at this point a picture might help.

image.png.43d4c88a1481128f9154dee80c6a6b54.png

What's cool about süßwassertang is that instead of looking like a fleck sized piece of spinach like most gametophytes, it gets huge! That is really cool and different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I am experimenting with:

On 11/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, Daniel said:

süßwassertang

As well, (can’t figure out how to get the correct font).  It is very cool looking and I am hoping that the little bit I was able to get will grow so I can create something with it.  So green and useful for everything that a moss can do but maybe it will endure better?

19 hours ago, Lifeisgood said:

I am experimenting with:

As well, (can’t figure out how to get the correct font).  It is very cool looking and I am hoping that the little bit I was able to get will grow so I can create something with it.  So green and useful for everything that a moss can do but maybe it will endure better?

I can't get moss to grow very well, but the subwassertang is doing well. This is my tree now (see before pic in early post above) 

IMG_20210324_194508.jpg

8 minutes ago, MDoc said:

@StephenP2003Does your subwassertang actually attach to your tree, or is is just kept on purely via fishing line?

Kind of not really lol. I tied fishing line around clumps of it initially, and it grows out and around the branches and stays on pretty well. But I have rainbows and a pearl gourami constantly picking at it to pull out trapped food, so pieces of it get all over the tank. I don't mind it, because it allows it to propagate in multiple places, so I can accumulate and sell the excess. 

• Like 1