HOB filter media

Chandra

For an aquaclear I'd pretty much just use what they give you, I'd trade the carbon for more sponge though and add a pre filter

Nothing against carbon really but I'd rather just save it than use it all the time

Edited by Frost

In all my aquaclears, I run the included sponge, some bulk filter pad media (https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Filter-Pad-Premium-Density/dp/B01AHIOM8A), co-op pre-filter sponge, and seachem matrix. I only replaced the included fluval bio media because I falsely believed the seachem matrix was some magical nitrate reducer (it isn't, at least not in a filter with high flow). In some where my driftwood is still slowly leaching tannins, I use a bag of purigen

From the bottom-up, I use a cut-to-size piece of blue & white floss pad (blue side up), followed by a couple layers of AC coarse foam, and topped off with the white foam block. This ensures the water flow goes from coarse to fine on its way back into the tank. No rings, no carbon.

I replace the piece of floss every week or so, and rinse the rest in tank water.. I can get over 30 such pieces by cutting up a foam pad I picked up at PetSmart for $7.

It's a 3- to 5-minute operation to keep this filter clean. 🙂

Edited by Bill Smith

I use 2 layers of the Co-Op's black coarse foam, cut to size for the bottom.  The included foam block is next, followed by a piece of the Co-Op's fine poly pad that sits on top.  No carbon or bio-rings.  Outside the filter is a pre-filter sponge on the intake.  This configuration seems to work for me quite well.  One thing to remember is don't pack or jam too much media inside the filter, because it can potentially flood.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 5:19 PM, StephenP2003 said:

In all my aquaclears, I run the included sponge, some bulk filter pad media (https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Filter-Pad-Premium-Density/dp/B01AHIOM8A), co-op pre-filter sponge, and seachem matrix. I only replaced the included fluval bio media because I falsely believed the seachem matrix was some magical nitrate reducer (it isn't, at least not in a filter with high flow). In some where my driftwood is still slowly leaching tannins, I use a bag of purigen. 

Do you put bulk filter media at the top or bottom?

On AquaClears the only modification I've ever made was adding a prefilter sponge  + removing the carbon and replacing it with biological media. For me carbon is only really necessary if there are meds in the water that I want to filter out, and that usually won't happen in my main tank. Some people use carbon for improving water clarity or reducing odor.

If you want to you can add a floss/polishing pad on top of the first sponge in your media basket but it's may going to make a significant difference.

20200903_203426.jpg.6192da0ad2a698f69bf41f595d109d7d.jpg

I turned my AC110 into a glorified sponge filter the bottom half is for mechanical filtration consisting of 20ppi, 30ppi and 45ppi  (corse, medium, fine) sponge then the top block is the original aquaclear sponge for bio. The top sponge never clogs because it all gets caught up is the bottom. The whole thing takes a few minutes to clean.

20200903_202908.jpg.b41e661cf2dd33026149c3557e8a98ce.jpg