Self priming HOB

I need a new self priming HOB for one of my 20 long aquariums. The tank is stocked with a female Betta, CPDs, Golden white clouds, and Corys. Is the Tidal 35 my best bet? I'm tired of finding the current HOB stays off whenever there's any outage in my area. 

• Like 1

If your water level isnt lower than the Aquaclear basket are where the motor is, it self primes after a power out anyway.

All I do is never let the tank water level go lower than the AC basket. All 5 of mine self primes this way in case of a power out. The only time I have to fill it before running it again is during water changes, as water level goes low and it empties itself 

I would buy AC50 if you are interested in ACs for that tank size

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 6:38 PM, lefty o said:

the newer marinelands with the pump in the water self prime also.

Have one on a 55 gallon I really like it. Was loyal to Aquaclear but I don't fill my aquariums all the way so no self priming. 

• Like 1

I’ve switched nearly all of my HOB’s to the Marineland Pro style since the pump is inside the tank and they restart very reliably.  I may or may not use the biowheel depending on if I have emergent plants growing in the filter box.  I replace the cartridges with blocks of filter sponge and add an ACO prefilter.  The Pro line has been MUCH more reliable than the original line with the pump outside the tank.  The only downsides for me is the extra bulk visible inside the tank and that it’s a real booger to get the pump put back together after you take it apart for cleaning.  🤦🏻‍♀️  I end up not cleaning the pump / impeller as often as ideal but even with severe neglect, I haven’t yet had to replace one of them with over 2 years of use on most of them.  Being in the water seems to save the impellers quite a bit or wear and tear on restart.  They don’t rattle around at all and restart smoothly.

I have 2 each of the biggest (“up to 90 G”) on my largest tanks (2 x 100 G’s and a 75 G), and singles on some of my smaller tanks varying according to their size.  They only go down to an “up to 20 G” so those go on my 10 G’s, I have an “up to 30 G” on my 20’s, and an “up to 50 G” on my 29 G.  I like good flow.  😃  I don’t have an HOB on all my 10’s so I have 11 of these all together.  I have a few other old HOB’s on 10’s that haven’t died yet.  If I decide to replace them (vs just air driven filters), I’ll use one of these.  I wish they made a smaller version I could put on my 6 G cubes plus a tiny nano one for my 2 G.  My 14 G cube will get one when that HOB filter eventually dies.

• Like 3

Say you didn’t clean your pump and make sure you clean your pumps, check your water parameters, do gravel vacs, clean the glass and check the fish for illnesses 

new aqua clear looks cool and new product

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 11:31 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Odd Duckare these the ones with the bio wheels? 

They do come with the rather silly bio-wheels.  I don’t use the biowheels if I have emerse plants growing in the filter box.  If I don’t have any emerse plants I leave the biowheels on because if it stops, it tells me I’ve neglected the prefilter for too long and there isn’t enough flow for optimal filtration.  😝 🤷🏻‍♀️ 😂 

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1