Floating plant recommendations

On 4/28/2024 at 8:17 PM, Yoshi said:

I've had good luck with red root floaters in my 5gallon betta tank.  I also have a free floating water sprite that has absolutely taken off growth wise since I added it about a month ago.

Thanks will look into both, thanks for the quick response @Yoshi! Btw like your logo, I am a big Nintendo fan!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:03 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I want some floating plants for my 10g so I can have more coverage for panda cories when I get them soon enough, anybody have some options, suggestions, recommendations? Thanks in advance! (It’s a medium to high light tank, a starter kit light, not the best but might get the AC light soon).

Just so you know, typically kit lights, especially the petco/petsmart ones are way underpowered and wouldn’t be considered high light.

What kinds of filtration do you have? I tried floating plants (duckweed, RRF, DWL,) but they died, and I think it was because they were always getting stuck under the Hob and getting showered.

• Like 3

On 4/28/2024 at 7:46 PM, macdaddy36 said:

What kinds of filtration do you have? I tried floating plants (duckweed, RRF, DWL,) but they died, and I think it was because they were always getting stuck under the Hob and getting showered.

I was having a similar problem.  I got this little plant coral on amazon for like $7 that lowers and raises with the water level when I'm doing water changes.  Since then the RRFs have filled it up and actually are starting to grow out of it, so I trim the bunch back once every week or two.

Edited by Yoshi
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:46 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I think it was because they were always getting stuck under the Hob and getting showered.

Yea, that’s probably correct, most floaters hate any kind of surface movement. 

@Whitecloud09 I would be interested in trying the wisteria, it’s supposed to be a lot like hornwort, but with less problems. Kit lights work well with low light plants. Probably not enough for red root floaters. Possibly enough for wisteria. Definitely enough for hornwort. And of course, all the low light bottom plants. Even your moneywort would struggle with a kit light. Duck weed should be okay, if you keep your water levels high enough to keep your surface still. But you’ll be constantly removing it if you use it. 

On 4/28/2024 at 8:46 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Just so you know, typically kit lights, especially the petco/petsmart ones are way underpowered and wouldn’t be considered high light.

HOB. Got it @macdaddy36, I am planning on a new light anyway,

On 4/28/2024 at 8:57 PM, Tony s said:

Yea, that’s probably correct, most floaters hate any kind of surface movement. 

@Whitecloud09 I would be interested in trying the wisteria, it’s supposed to be a lot like hornwort, but with less problems. Kit lights work well with low light plants. Probably not enough for red root floaters. Possibly enough for wisteria. Definitely enough for hornwort. And of course, all the low light bottom plants. Even your moneywort would struggle with a kit light. Duck weed should be okay, if you keep your water levels high enough to keep your surface still. But you’ll be constantly removing it if you use it. 

Thanks a lot for 5eh suggestions @Tony s!

On 4/28/2024 at 8:51 PM, Yoshi said:

I was having a similar problem.  I got this little plant coral on amazon for like $7 that lowers and raises with the water level when I'm doing water changes.  Since then the RRFs have filled it up and actually are starting to grow out of it, so I trim the bunch back once every week or two.

Hmmm… maybe I should not get them then? Got a HOB and it is kinda strong. Thanks @Yoshi

On 4/29/2024 at 6:19 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Hmmm… maybe I should not get them then? Got a HOB and it is kinda strong. Thanks @Yoshi

I actually use the plant coral to keep them out of the HOB flow, even though mine is pretty gentle.  It seems to work pretty well!

IMG_0242.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/28/2024 at 7:03 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I want some floating plants for my 10g so I can have more coverage for panda cories when I get them soon enough, anybody have some options, suggestions, recommendations? Thanks in advance! (It’s a medium to high light tank, a starter kit light, not the best but might get the AC light soon).

I'm a little puzzled by the highlighted portion of your post.  Corys spend most of their time at or near the bottom of the tank, so I'm not at all sure how you think they will benefit from floating plants.

• Like 2

While the ammonia issue you reported having will be helped by adding floating plants ( salvinia or frogbit would be my best guess), you also have mild algae issues and overall not too many plants that they are not doing well. You should be prepared while the floaters will leach out the excess, they will also take whatever your other plants could have used, and they will thus continue to decline

I know you are excited about new fish, I personally do not agree with your choice of the fish you want to add and would also overall wait before adding more, until you reach at least a bit of stable environment. You can always add fish later on and it will be something to look forward to, but you have not correct substrate for corydoras, wilting plants, algae and ammonia issues as is, and you will be adding possible fish illness issues, feeding issues and the inevitable plants nutrition issues, if you add floaters.

But that is just my opinion and we overall learn best from our mistakes and I made the same ones as you

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 8:39 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'm a little puzzled by the highlighted portion of your post.  Corys spend most of their time at or near the bottom of the tank, so I'm not at all sure how you think they will benefit from floating plants.

My bad @JettsPapa, that is true, idk what i was thinking lol. @beastie, thx for thx for the suggestions, you got me thinking now, very good info. thanks again.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:57 AM, beastie said:

While the ammonia issue you reported having will be helped by adding floating plants ( salvinia or frogbit would be my best guess), you also have mild algae issues and overall not too many plants that they are not doing well. You should be prepared while the floaters will leach out the excess, they will also take whatever your other plants could have used, and they will thus continue to decline

I know you are excited about new fish, I personally do not agree with your choice of the fish you want to add and would also overall wait before adding more, until you reach at least a bit of stable environment. You can always add fish later on and it will be something to look forward to, but you have not correct substrate for corydoras, wilting plants, algae and ammonia issues as is, and you will be adding possible fish illness issues, feeding issues and the inevitable plants nutrition issues, if you add floaters.

But that is just my opinion and we overall learn best from our mistakes and I made the same ones as you

Thanks everyone, i have now decided to get a light and new glass lid before anything and make sure that no ammonia remains in the tank for a while. My ammonia read .25 this morning and i said "here we go again" (as for those who dont know i am currently in a ammonia spike).

I always thought of an Ammonia spike as something that lasted a few days tops, but it seems like this had been going on for a month or more.

It seems like there could be some other underlying problem.

Post a picture of your normal feeding amount.

Could your test kit be expired? Are you following the instructions as best you can?

How did you cycle your tank? How did you decide your cycle was completed?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 8:24 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I always thought of an Ammonia spike as something that lasted a few days tops, but it seems like this had been going on for a month or more.

It seems like there could be some other underlying problem.

Post a picture of your normal feeding amount.

Could your test kit be expired? Are you following the instructions as best you can?

How did you cycle your tank? How did you decide your cycle was completed?

@macdaddy36, my test kit is not expired, my ammonia test kit I bought it like one week ago and I am following as best as I can, I followed the dr Tim’s way of it and emailed/asked if it was done when everything seemed fine. You can find some super old posts that I had on my whole cycle as well, @macdaddy36 on this forum.

On 4/30/2024 at 9:02 PM, macdaddy36 said:

How old is the tank?

what and when and how much do you feed?

Do you know the pH when you set it up vs. the pH now?

The ph was 7.5 when I set it up, now it is 7.5. I feed them floating pellets and occasionally some bug bites that float. And every 2 days depending on what the ammonia is.

Here are some links on the cycle I did, it was a fishless one @macdaddy36 

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/36491-how-to-know-when-cycle-is-done-completely/#comment-348815

Still wondering how much food. Video of you feeding would be very helpful.

someone probably already asked these but:

what dechlorinator do you use?

what does ammonia read out of the tap?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 9:10 PM, macdaddy36 said:

what does ammonia read out of the tap

@macdaddy36 This one here is what concerns me. The tank has been trying to be cycled since February at least, possibly earlier, and yet he keeps coming up with ammonia. Makes zero sense. Even over feeding would grow extra bacteria over time. Unless there’s something else going on 

• Like 2

I think the ammonia is coming from elsewhere, like leaching from the rock decorations or substrate and is not related to the cycle perhaps. I have heard about wood leaching it or silicone from old tanks. Couldnt this be the case?

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 11:51 PM, Tony s said:

@macdaddy36 This one here is what concerns me. The tank has been trying to be cycled since February at least, possibly earlier, and yet he keeps coming up with ammonia. Makes zero sense. Even over feeding would grow extra bacteria over time. Unless there’s something else going on 

Or he has chloramines and he using a dechlorinator that doesn’t do ammonia

On 4/28/2024 at 8:19 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thanks will look into both, thanks for the quick response @Yoshi! Btw like your logo, I am a big Nintendo fan!

Water lettuce if it's allowed in your area, I have a bunch of anachris clippings floating around also.

• Like 1