Sand color for Sterbai corys?

I've been using black sand, but I've heard this isn't ideal. I'm moving my sterbai cory tank and have the chance here to change out the substrate, and I'm wondering if a lighter color would be a better choice.

Now, I am not a biologist or fish expert, but I see no reason why black sand would be a bad substrate - it seems like it would be ideal. They are primarily black with white spots, so I would imagine this would make them feel safe (especially if you have a larger group and lots of hiding spots). If you really wanted to, mixing in some lighter grey or white sand probably wouldn't hurt, but I do not think it is incredibly necessary at all. 

Trust fish experts over me, but this is how I would look at the situation. Hope my input helps a little bit!

• Like 1

They look better against white sand IMO, but then you have to consider the maintenance involved with keep white sand white.

What I do enjoy about any sand with corys is that you'll see little bits of it shooting out from underneath their gill plates when they feed and I think that's awesome.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 11:33 AM, Shrimp Doggy Dogg said:

They look better against white sand IMO, but then you have to consider the maintenance involved with keep white sand white.

What I do enjoy about any sand with corys is that you'll see little bits of it shooting out from underneath their gill plates when they feed and I think that's awesome.

You are right I love watching my panda's digging around in my sand

• Like 2

On 4/26/2024 at 2:52 PM, Maximus said:

I've been using black sand, but I've heard this isn't ideal. I'm moving my sterbai cory tank and have the chance here to change out the substrate, and I'm wondering if a lighter color would be a better choice.

I believe the issue is not the color, but the potential for damaging the barbels (whiskers) on the fish.  Smooth substrate would be better, but opinions vary on this.

From the Coop: "In the wild, corydoras can be found on sharp substrate, so if their barbels start to erode, it may be caused by other factors like poor water quality."

• Like 1

As long as it is soft and clean, I think it is fine. White would make them feel exposed IMO. I like beige, but had no issues on black aquasoil related to color.

But, I had issues with aquasoil being hard to clean properly, leading to barbel issues after a year or so. Black should be fine as long as it is smooth just like Tanked mentioned

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:14 AM, Tanked said:
On 4/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, Maximus said:

I believe the issue is not the color, but the potential for damaging the barbels (whiskers) on the fish.  Smooth substrate would be better, but opinions vary on this.

From the Coop: "In the wild, corydoras can be found on sharp substrate, so if their barbels start to erode, it may be caused by other factors like poor water quality."

Microabrashions on the barbels have led to bacterial issues and erosion of the barbels.  It's a video from youtuber fishtory.

The other quote you mentioned is from Cory and it's a video when collecting.  There's a lot of missing context and yes, it's a "headline" so to speak, but there is going to be everyone with their own opinions and experiences on the subject. 

I would most often prefer my fish to have this behavior.

In terms of sand color, there shouldn't be a major issue with light or dark substrate.  You will have some color variations in terms of how the fish display, but there isn't going to be anything detrimental to the fish themselves.  On black substrate it might wash out some of the patterning and they have a darker tone.  They don't have the same type of body display like a panda or aenus species where they can get extremely dark, so I would think (and I have kept false julii) that the black substrate just makes the black pattern very vibrant against the silver.

Hope that helps.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

I don’t think sand color is going to matter much to sterbais.  Mine are on tan mix pool filter sand and have good color.  My trilineatus (same basic body color - pale with black markings) are on black blasting sand with no issues and they don’t have excessively dark color like some species get when raised on black substrate (my bronzes in that tank run very dark).

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I decided to stick with black since it's what I've already paid for. I did mix in a small amount of crushed coral, and this seems to help to prevent them "fading" into the darker color and keep them visible.

• Like 2