Eheim Jager 300w Heater

Its Hutch

Bought a brand new Eheim heater for my 75g. Set it to 78 degrees and put it in my tank. Checked the temp 24 hours later and noticed the thermometer said 82. Went ahead and picked up a digital thermometer to confirm and sure enough it showed 82.3 degrees. Anyone else had a heater be off by 4 degrees out of the box? Is this normal? I set it to74 and am curious to see what the temp is when I get home. 

As @MickS77said, you sometimes need to calibrate them. They’re not always calibrated 100% out of the box. Those steps are in the instructions.

However, I have a few that just won’t calibrate accurately not matter how hard I play with the red dial. For those I just adjust them according to the tank temp reading and tweaking a bit and don’t pay attention to what the dial says.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2

In my experience almost all heaters and thermometers are off a few degrees in either direction. The whole concept of temperature has always been a tricky thing for me to get my mind around. I know temperature is what a thermometer measures....

But for those times I felt like I needed a reliable baseline to calibrate from I use a NIST traceable thermometer like this one made by Traceable (clever name):

temp-high.jpg.2622836d89144daf90336a93fdc9867e.jpg

Also your own hands are awfully good thermometers. The differences between 75°F and 80°F and 85°F are as clear as night and day.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

But for those times I felt like I needed a reliable baseline to calibrate from I use a NIST traceable thermometer like this one made by Traceable (clever name)

I use a Thermapen. Super accurate and fast. Sometimes I even clean it afterwards before using it on a steak or chicken!  🙂

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Haha 1