Whitecloud09’s 10 gallon planted aquarium journal

Oh man, i have plenty of hair algae! Its ok, he is doing great, very active! His first night! I named him, Ozzie! After my fav MLB player! I thought about Julio and some other snail names but i went with Ozzie. I went with the algae tablets from AC, and crushed coral, and the mesh bag from petsmart. lol, i forgot the algae tablets at petsmart 😩 Memory isnt the greatest lol. Anyway i got the plants as wel,, ordered them last night. @EricksonAquatics thx!

• Like 3

On 5/24/2024 at 7:25 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Oh man, i have plenty of hair algae! Its ok, he is doing great, very active! His first night! I named him, Ozzie! After my fav MLB player! I thought about Julio and some other snail names but i went with Ozzie. I went with the algae tablets from AC, and crushed coral, and the mesh bag from petsmart. lol, i forgot the algae tablets at petsmart 😩 Memory isnt the greatest lol. Anyway i got the plants as wel,, ordered them last night. @EricksonAquatics thx!

Ozzie Albies? Atlanta Braves Whoooo

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 10:22 AM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Ozzie Albies? Atlanta Braves Whoooo

My bad, yes Ozzie Albies! He has been my favorite since he was a rookie, my favorite is the Atlanta Braves! @CoryWithAKatana

I am about to get pics, he is actually a orange brown color if that makes a bit of sense! I guees he is not a black racer after all. Pictures in the next couple hours!

Posted (edited)

Ok, the problem with the shipping with AC is that I live on the opposite side of the US. So it should be here on Wednesday. Good news, my nerite snail has a appetite for algae lol. He is awesome. I might get a 20 gallon in the next week! Maybe, i am looking for a table first to put it on, and i had to save some money so it will not crush my bank account lol

Mini update :)

Edit: I AM getting a 20g!! I am planning on some honey gouramis and panda corys. I am still thinking of what schooling fish I want🤔

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 2

Here we go! Plant time!!! Got them. A day early, here they are. There is dwarf sag (it is huge!) and red flame sword, and micro sword with the Monte Carlo floating, pictures down below. 

Crushed coral. I did 1/4 a bag and stuffed it down behind my cartridge. I rinsed as said on bag and put it in my bag I have. Here is the picture. Plz comment to say if I did something wrong with plants and/or crushed coral

Oh and I also got the algae mini wafers from AC. Thanks everyone 

7191D5EB-166E-41E8-9DB0-AE92B8AB17B3.jpeg

351125D9-2345-4EFD-8C9F-31B742BEE613.jpeg

3F5D3459-2B20-412D-9F30-4CE6020BDC98.jpeg

F895CE1B-ABD1-4F98-8C4D-FA0F55E356AF.jpeg

EA05CD2B-3EDA-43E7-9390-7A045EA3C4FF.jpeg

5E801E52-C474-497B-912F-F293778AFDB9.jpeg

A1F420F2-E219-44CD-996C-D1F1A5DB8AE8.jpeg

93A2E604-D6E9-4F85-9F1C-E705E4ECB452.jpeg

8AEE7C0A-B6D8-4DA9-953D-60A385371ACB.jpeg

942DD5A2-8BAD-42B0-9A72-10A9B472263E.jpeg

DEC3CFB8-B9D7-47A1-8307-4240E72905CA.jpeg

C9DB84C6-F52F-4C94-80E8-A9AF369BB807.jpeg

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

My nerite snail always disappears when my light timer turns on, I can’t find him anywhere, but I think he might be in the small cave in the middle….

Is this to much/not enough crushed coal?
Idk nothin about crushed coral lol

Sorry if pictures are hard to tell but there is about 2” deep of it.

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 5/28/2024 at 11:31 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

My nerite snail always disappears when my light timer turns on, I can’t find him anywhere, but I think he might be in the small cave in the middle….

Is this to much/not enough crushed coal?
Idk nothin about crushed coral lol

Sorry if pictures are hard to tell but there is about 2” deep of it.

If you can't find your nerite snail, look for small bumps in the substrate, because they will bury themselves sometimes. They are nocturnal, and prefer dark spots.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 1:38 PM, Guupy42 said:

If you can't find your nerite snail, look for small bumps in the substrate, because they will bury themselves sometimes. They are nocturnal, and prefer dark spots.

Thanks, still can’t find him, but I will keep on looking, might be in a cave where I have not looked.

• Like 1

Mine totally hides during the day wherever it’s dark. Then when the lights turn off, bam, he’s out in the open chowing down in algae. They really are nocturnal!

If you can’t find him during the day, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I think they’ll often find dark spots to take a “nap” during the day so we worry they’re dead lol😂

New plants look good!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 4:36 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Mine totally hides during the day wherever it’s dark. Then when the lights turn off, bam, he’s out in the open chowing down in algae. They really are nocturnal!

If you can’t find him during the day, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I think they’ll often find dark spots to take a “nap” during the day so we worry they’re dead lol😂

New plants look good!

Yes he is back! Lights off means algae time! He likes this little cave I have, it is really dark and he loves it! @EricksonAquatics

• Like 3

This is what is goin on with my 10g. I gotta table from goodwill (a store in the southeast were you can buy good quality stuff cheap) for 15 bucks that should have been 75 dollars!!!! A steal my friends! Here is the picture! The 10g is going on this table and I am moving my 20t to the table my 10g is currently on. Pics 

BD768770-514C-476D-A68C-AB61E8837A04.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve always loved these little guys. Especially the long fins, I’ve been debating on setting a 20g tank up for them. But I’ve used all my resources on my other two tanks. Gotta wait till my plants grow out some so I can snip part off to reuse lol. 

• Like 1

My minnows are hiding, kinda from each other? Why is my question. One is in between a tiny gap at the bottom of the tank, and one is hiding behind the part that comes down from hob. Here is pictures of the fish at the bottom. Also the males chase the females like crazy! I’ve seen them chase, but am I about to have a breeding situation? Thanks if u can even see him 😒

AA846CCB-F4BF-44D4-B50E-1E30D172D577.jpeg

BC336863-24C9-4729-BA50-87732D61646E.jpeg

Update: minnows have been thriving, but i might key word MIGHT be able to go to petsmart and get 2 more of the WCMMs, today,  or, should i get some shrimp????? Shrimp would be sick,  anybody have any thoughts? What kind of shrimp? Or WCMMs? Thx!!!!

On 6/7/2024 at 7:50 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Update: minnows have been thriving, but i might key word MIGHT be able to go to petsmart and get 2 more of the WCMMs, today,  or, should i get some shrimp????? Shrimp would be sick,  anybody have any thoughts? What kind of shrimp? Or WCMMs? Thx!!!!

Getting more WCMMs would probably be best. The more of a schooling fish you have, the more natural and interesting their behavior will be. I also found schooling fish to be brighter, more active, and more bold when in bigger schools. Shrimp are a fun and great addition but wouldnt be as beneficial to your current fish as more school mates for your current fish. If you have the room and resources to get both shrimp and more fish, that would be a good option, but if you have to choose between the two options, I would definitely go with more fish.

I'm happy to hear your WCMMs are doing well, and hope you have a great rest of your day!

• Love 1

On 6/7/2024 at 9:39 AM, JS Fish said:

Getting more WCMMs would probably be best. The more of a schooling fish you have, the more natural and interesting their behavior will be. I also found schooling fish to be brighter, more active, and more bold when in bigger schools. Shrimp are a fun and great addition but wouldnt be as beneficial to your current fish as more school mates for your current fish. If you have the room and resources to get both shrimp and more fish, that would be a good option, but if you have to choose between the two options, I would definitely go with more fish.

I'm happy to hear your WCMMs are doing well, and hope you have a great rest of your day!

Wow, thanks for that info! Yes I might get some in a few minutes, I am running lots of errands, and I am in the area. I will go with some more WCMMs, I guess 2 for now. Have a good one as well ! @JS Fish

I have bad news, my 2 WCMMs, I bought from petsmart died right when I got home, but I brought them right home! Idk what happened, but they both died, RIP. One of them was very discolored, and he died as soon as I walked through my door. 😔. Can anyone help me figure why and how this happened if possible,  I feel so bad…..

I think buy from a big box pet store is hit or miss for the longevity of the fish. I would think it is nothing you did but rather the care that was administered at the pet store. Unfortunately there was probably nothing you could do. May the minnows rest in peace.

• Like 1

Petsmart  will probably allow you to choose the fish that you want, especially with unique fish, like assorted, like fancy guppies. I don't know about yours, but my PetSmart always puts the specimen in a catch cup for you to examine for health, before putting them in the bags.

• Like 1