Survival rate after new fishes are delivered on an online order

subramn

18 hours ago, subramn said:

what is the usual Survival rate after new fishes are delivered on an online order, like through ebay or aquabid or aquahuna.

any experiences.

I have used Aquabid & Ebay at times in obtaining my aquarium fish/snails.  I never had an issue, but it's like anything else, there is always a perceived risk.  Review the sellers feedback and ask questions in advance if unsure regarding your potential, online purchase(s).  

I've ordered a total of 58 fish from aquahuna in two orders. Only 1 fish arrived dead.  On my first order about half of them died within the first day because they didn't get along with my water, my 1.5 hour acclimation wasn't enough. It was pretty sad and wished I could have done more. The second order I acclimated them over 4 hours and all survived, I also got slightly harder water fish.

I think the water they have them is very soft with a very low pH. I tested the water on the 2nd batch and it was somewhere under 7.0.

I've purchased online from individuals on AquaBid and eBay with good results save for one experience (my original black velvet angelfish arrived very unwell and all passed within a week of receipt). The best experiences were with my live food cultures which have surpassed my expectations and my crystal red shrimp which are very durable and finally starting to breed for me after several months.

I'm hoping to purchase from AquaHuna at the end of this year or early in the spring, I'm just trying to pace myself on projects so that some will reach completion before I start new ones 😂

1 hour ago, David Ellsworth said:

I've bought fish several times online and I have only lost 1 fish. I've bought through online sellers including aquahuna and others. I also bought some from fish breeders that sell online. Buying fish online is pretty reliable for me. 

@David Ellsworth Can you provide some fish breeders that sell online.

10 hours ago, subramn said:

@Marc Thanks for your tip. can you share the procedure you followed for 4 fours to get them acclimated. i am having issues with tetras. 3 of them died.

I pour the fish with all their water into a 6 liter clear plastic tote I can observe them in, I increase their water with 20% more water from the tank they are going into every 15-20 min. I do this over a few hours until its about 3/4 new tank water. If they don't look stressed I will then add them to the tank. This should acclimate them to the temp, pH and hardness.  4 hours may be over kill. You could test the water from their bag and see if it is similar, then it could take only a small fraction of the time. From my local fish store I do about 45 min and don't have any issues.

I've only ordered fish online a few times, never been from eBay, aquabid or aquahuna. I have never had one arrive dead or even die after they're in my tank. The sellers I've bought from do sell on Aquabid though, but I didn't buy through the website. Do your research on the seller, check their feedback. Ask questions about how they pack the fish etc. As for acclimation, I have never spent over an hour acclimating fish to my water, I float the bag for 10-15 min for temp, open bag, if strong ammonia smell I put the fish into tank right away. If no ammonia smell, I add a cup of tank water every 5-10 minutes until I've doubled the amount of water in bag, then let the fish go. 

7 hours ago, Paul said:

@subramnMost of my fish were shipped to me and that includes Discus. On AquaBid read the reviews before you bid on anything. I think recommending commercial breeders is generally frowned on in this forum. 

Thank you @Paul! There isn't much more to say on this topic.

For further discussion of acclimating fish purchased online please visit this topic.