We have an award winning Aquascaper in our midst.

Pepere

I dont think any of us who have seen @Mmiller2001 has failed to be wowed by the look he achieves in his tanks.

Mmiller2001 recently submitted an entry in the Aquatic Gardeners Association Dutch style competition and won second place in a field of 21 entries.  

https://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2023/index2.html

clicking on each entry allows you to view larger photos, description of the tank and judges review of it.  

The competition was awfully good. I would be pleased to have my name next to most of them…

I have found studying these tanks and reading the judges response quite educational and thought others might enjoy reading them to.

There are also categories for garden style that might be more akin to how most of us style our tanks rather than following dutch style rules closely…

Congratulation @Mmiller2001for your outstanding results.  I know I am beholden to him for help he has given me to grow healthier plants and suppress Algae…

• Like 7
  • Love 5

Thank you @Pepere, I really appreciate it. I also read all the judges comments for each tank I enjoy in every category. It's valuable information for sure.

Here's another cool thing to look through even if Dutch isn't your thing. It has some water parameters listed and such. NBAT

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 8

On 1/9/2024 at 11:06 AM, govsfabshop said:

Man you guys always amaze me with these! And then i give it a try and it never goes well, but decent enough for me to be happy with! Truly a work of art!

You just keep going and don’t settle for anything that you are not happy with.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 3:09 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You just keep going and don’t settle for anything that you are not happy with.

Hmm. Sort of like saying go carve a copy of Michelangelo's David by getting a big block of marble and remove everything that doesn’t look like David…

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 1/9/2024 at 7:22 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Forward and left 😂 

Yeah.  I agree.  I just am not sure how I will pull it off…. I probably will be removing some Anubias in the process and likely at least 1 rock.

The biggest downside of a 29 gallon is the lack of sufficient front to rear depth..

It reminds me of when I built boats.  I was talking to the designer of the boat asking him if it was really necessary to through bolt a particular fitting as access was difficult to get a washer and  nut in back.  I wanted to drill and tap and bed with polyurethane sealant.  He said it might be fine but it would never be as good as through bolting with a washer and a nylock.

He then told me to always though bolt and back with a washer and a nylock when it is easy to do it.   And when it is tough to do it,  find a way to get it done…. Make a tool to extend your reach etc…

Edited by Pepere
  • Like 1

@Mmiller2001 your scape looks fantastic. A well deserved second place finish. Congratulations.

I’ve always loved the Dutch style and the focus on the lush plant growth, but I also just love hardscape too much to exclude it! Maybe I’ll try my hand at it someday and resist the urge to throw a huge piece of driftwood in.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:32 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

And remove half the fish!? 

@Mmiller2001 can you remove the fish just for the photo and entry?  Ie put them in another tank while you get your pics and then return them for your viewing pleasure?

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 6:54 AM, Pepere said:

@Mmiller2001 can you remove the fish just for the photo and entry?  Ie put them in another tank while you get your pics and then return them for your viewing pleasure?

You definitely could. I just didn’t have a large enough tank to put them in. My plan going forward is just not buy any more fish and in a few years I’ll have less at some point 😆

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:26 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

That’s a lot of work 😆

Well, if its not worth the work, you can keep accepting the deductions…

And once you have less fish to please the judges you will also have less fish to enjoy watching the rest of the 364 days you are not taking a photo for a contest…

Edited by Pepere

I've never understood the AGA aversion to tanks having a cool variety of fish with the scape.

If anything I thought the number of different species in your tank made it a better visual experience rather than deducting from it.

I feel like the judges of these contests adhere to traditional rules/standards almost to a fault.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:26 AM, DallasCowboys16 said:

I've never understood the AGA aversion to tanks having a cool variety of fish with the scape.

If anything I thought the number of different species in your tank made it a better visual experience rather than deducting from it.

I feel like the judges of these contests adhere to traditional rules/standards almost to a fault.

For Dutch, that’s the rule. The focus should be the plants and not the fish.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:28 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

For Dutch, that’s the rule. The focus should be the plants and not the fish.

Yeah that makes sense given the predefined rule sets and stylistic guidelines for the various aquascaping practices, I just suppose that as a less refined hobbyist than the judges, I like to see a lot of cool fish in the tanks! 😆

• Like 2