Troubleshooting USB air pump?

Kelly S

Hi, I'm just would anyone has any suggestions for reviving my USB air pump. I've been using it on my quarantine tank since I got it in February, and it's been perfect, but yesterday afternoon we had a few brief power outages. It's plugged into a surge protector, plus we have a whole-house surge protector, but I can't get it to come back on. I've tried different outlets and different plugs. Everything else on that surge protector is ok. Luckily my last quarantined fish were ready to move yesterday anyway, and I'm not worried about the ramshorns in there. Do I need to just order a new pump or does anyone have an idea I can try? Thanks! (This is NOT a complaint about the product; clearly something weird happened.)

3 minutes ago, Kelly S said:

Hi, I'm just would anyone has any suggestions for reviving my USB air pump. I've been using it on my quarantine tank since I got it in February, and it's been perfect, but yesterday afternoon we had a few brief power outages. It's plugged into a surge protector, plus we have a whole-house surge protector, but I can't get it to come back on. I've tried different outlets and different plugs. Everything else on that surge protector is ok. Luckily my last quarantined fish were ready to move yesterday anyway, and I'm not worried about the ramshorns in there. Do I need to just order a new pump or does anyone have an idea I can try? Thanks! (This is NOT a complaint about the product; clearly something weird happened.)

I had a USB Nano air pump fail, somewhat recently & it was running for about 9 months.  Am sure the usability of the product will vary depending on many factors.  I.E. length of tubing used, power surges, type of airstone used (if any) and many other variables.   

That is why I keep a few spares on hand.  

• Like 1

I've had 2 of them that've stopped working. But I think both of mine were due to a loose wire that had come unsoldered. My brother said he'd loan me his soldering iron to fix them, but that hasn't happened yet. 

I can't see how it wouldn't blown something just because the power went out, especially as they were plugged in to surge protectors. But I'm not an expert in that field. Hopefully someone will come along with an answer for that. 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, akconklin said:

I've had 2 of them that've stopped working. But I think both of mine were due to a loose wire that had come unsoldered. My brother said he'd loan me his soldering iron to fix them, but that hasn't happened yet. 

I can't see how it wouldn't blown something just because the power went out, especially as they were plugged in to surge protectors. But I'm not an expert in that field. Hopefully someone will come along with an answer for that. 🙂

I wish my repair was that easy.  ☺️  The one that stopped working for me actually seized up and the motor would not turn.  Probably was my fault.  Had the air-stone set for ultra fine bubbles, lol.  They are just little direct current motors and am actually surprised they run as long as they do.  

Just now, DaveSamsell said:

I wish my repair was that easy.  ☺️  The one that stopped working for me actually seized up and the motor would not turn.  Probably was my fault.  Had the air-stone set for ultra fine bubbles, lol.  They are just little direct current motors and am actually surprised they run as long as they do.  

Oh, I agree - they are fabulous! I always keep extra on hand. And the Co-Op has made them extremely affordable so that there is no room to complain. 😉 

• Like 2

Since you've had yours since February is it possible that you're on the old power supply? Cory upgraded them recently (and raised the price accordingly) because previously the pump was drawing the minimum amount of power to function. It led to the product failing for some users if there was a hiccup in the power.

• Like 1