Pleco identification?

Tedrock

On 9/30/2023 at 4:28 AM, Lennie said:

So they will need to wait another 6 months for the pleco to appear again? 🤣😝

Well I’m having a little bit of trouble doing a definitive ID on movement.  Maybe someone else can ID it for this pic, but I can’t.  🤷🏻‍♀️ Not my super power.

It’s either a gold nugget or gold spot pleco (L001). Need to see it’s caudal or dorsal fin to be sure. Gold nuggets have a yellow blotch on the tips of those fins whereas gold spot do not.

Also this was posted in photos and journals it might have better luck moved to general discussion.

But we are going to need another photo for clarity

😂 I had to look and there is a L double O 7. How is it not called a Bond pleco or Agent pleco… whoever is in charge of L numbering I need to have a word

03067052-A1F0-4B94-87A9-303392B78A83.jpeg.e4189217b9910cd3bd03095eaff62dac.jpeg

Edited by Biotope Biologist
It had to be done
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Definitely not a gold nugget.  Spot pattern isn’t right at all.  Gold spot = L001 same as what @Colu thought.  I agree that seems most likely but need a better pic.

Pic is of my gold nugget which appears to be L018 species.  I don’t have a gold spot, L001 so no pic to compare other than what google can tell us.  Gold spot’s get big, though, up to 12”.

IMG_4029.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:32 AM, Odd Duck said:

Definitely not a gold nugget.  Spot pattern isn’t right at all.  Gold spot = L001 same as what @Colu thought.  I agree that seems most likely but need a better pic.

Pic is of my gold nugget which appears to be L018 species.  I don’t have a gold spot, L001 so pic to compare other than what google can tell us.  Gold spot’s get big, though, up to 12”.

IMG_4029.jpeg

That is beautiful! Mine had more blotchy spots whereas yours are more uniform and yellow, I wonder if mine was misidentified? 

We will never know it died of kidney failure a few months after I got it.

Okay so for sure not gold nugget. 

On 9/30/2023 at 10:43 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

We will never know it died of kidney failure a few months after I got it.

So sorry.

All the gold nuggets have very uniform spots vs slightly more splotchy spots like the gold spots have.  Ironic since actual gold nuggets are irregular.

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:31 AM, Johannes said:

This is pseudancistrus genisetiger that is washed out or blending in with the sand. Very nice fish! Of course thats the closest i get as a l001 would ve much taller in the body

Looking  at pictures online  I think it very good chance that you have  psedancistrus genisetiger @Tedrock good ID @Johannes

Screenshot_20231003-161301.png

Screenshot_20231003-161226.png