planning for our first big tank

HelplessNewbie

Screenshot_20230928-185735.png.884c88b33a07af181a870330c49a80cb.pngWe will be obtaining a 65 gallon tank (48 x 13.5 x 23 inches) soon. So excited. Will probably take 1 or two months for preparations, assuming we have a plan in place.

Can you help me out with some ideas or suggestions for the items below?

1) floor load

We were thinking of placing it on the main floor, but have some concerns about the weight. The stand will be built by my husband out of 2x4 per KGTropicals' youtube video. Here is a photo of the floor as seen in our basement. Do you think it will be safe there?Screenshot_20230928-184104.png.ca77db8e8636d3eaf050d7a68581d89e.png

2) stocking

What fish would be good in this size tank? Want a community with maybe 2 or 3 fish species, preferably hardy non-livebearers. For cleanup crew, was thinking amano shrimp  and 1 mystery snail. Bladder snails and seed shrimp will be welcomed.

3) plants

We want it to be another planted tank with the typical low maintenance plants, and some fast growing ones for initial 3 or 4 months.

Which plants besides anubias, amazon sword, jungle val, java fern, rotala, anacharis, stargrass, guppy grass? I am avoiding hornwort and java moss this time.

Have had good experience with coarse sand, and want to utilize an underground filter. So, perhaps will make a partial underground filter, so we can have sand on the non-filter section. Or, will have all undergravel and rolls of soil in media bags, or soil separated by landscape fabric. Any soil will be capped with coarse sand. I intend to use root tabs and liquid fertilizer. Gravel part will likely be safe-t-sorb. Though, we think it may be bad for our very soft water, and might counteract any buffering agents we may add to raise kh and gh.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 8:02 PM, Pepere said:

unable to tell by photo, but what is the sizeof the joists? 2x10? 2x12?  And what sort of span  do the cross, and are they 16 inches apart center to center, or something else?

Those are 2x12, 16 inches apart on center.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:02 PM, Pepere said:

Safe T Sorb will indeed absorb up a fair amount of kh until it is satisfied.  After that it doesnt continue…  

How long do you think to reach equilibrium with safe-t-sorb? Would it make sense to presoak it with kh and gh buffering additives, before placing in the tank? Presoak with  fertilizer? How long for either?

Here's a photo of proposed tank location:Screenshot_20230929-095658.png.935841f3b71e9d7d023c6e3ebef6fc05.png

65 gallon tank I wouldn’t worry too much about floor load. While it is a lot of weight it’s being dispersed over an area. Keep in mind refrigerators full of food easily can weigh 600-750 lbs and take up a smaller square. 

If your husband is building the stand I would use support beams running the bottom and top, and I used sanded panel boards on the bottom and top so as to not scuff or dent the floor. And panel boards not particle board. It also helps evenly disperse weight across the floor.

IMG_3907.jpeg.412bde5d67f5d46e1570b6befc0a0317.jpeg

Fish- the world is your oyster. You can go with a large school of more rowdy fish like barbs. They are absolutely stunning in large planted tanks. In large schools their aggression is typically aimed at eachother and not other fish. I like large fast swimming danio or tetra too. They are absolutely fun to watch darting around the tank. Here are some orange fin hill trout for reference (not a trout, but a danio, they just look like adolescent trout)

IMG_3707.jpeg.1088e902cd03f7d2e1cb2934e1e06298.jpeg

Plants- I think the list you have is perfect. Jungle val is so beautiful in larger tanks when it bends over and sways at the top of the tank. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ooh, I am so tempted to buy this, instead of a diy stand: https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-Workbench-Workstation-Warehouse/dp/B0CHK6Z573?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I found it for $169 elsewhere shipped. I like to buy things that can easily be repurposed. If we take down the tank, we can still use this as a workbench or table.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 7:18 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

Ooh, I am so tempted to buy this, instead of a diy stand: https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-Workbench-Workstation-Warehouse/dp/B0CHK6Z573?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I found it for $169 elsewhere shipped. I like to buy things that can easily be repurposed. If we take down the tank, we can still use this as a workbench or table.

What do you guys think?

As long as you dont use the height adjustment it should be fine. Those screws will sheer under load. 

• Like 1

What do you guys think?

This may be overkill but I've used this under my 120 for years. 

Gladiator 4 ft. Adjustable Height Birch Top Workbench GAWB04HWEG - The Home Depot

The height adjustments are rated for 3000lbs, so no worries about shearing as @Biotope Biologist rightly pointed out.

The "Gladiators" and "Huskey's" are so well built, you probably can go with a much smaller one than I used. 

120.JPG.5e63b44952765947ce15728d5e3401f0.JPG

• Love 3

On 10/2/2023 at 10:38 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

This may be overkill but I've used this under my 120 for years. 

Gladiator 4 ft. Adjustable Height Birch Top Workbench GAWB04HWEG - The Home Depot

The height adjustments are rated for 3000lbs, so no worries about shearing as @Biotope Biologist rightly pointed out.

The "Gladiators" and "Huskey's" are so well built, you probably can go with a much smaller one than I used. 

120.JPG.5e63b44952765947ce15728d5e3401f0.JPG

That's an awesome stand but I was hoping to spend less than $200. I noticed you placed wood under the feet, is that to protect your nice floor?

On 10/2/2023 at 10:38 AM, mynameisnobody said:

@HelplessNewbie that stand may work, but personally I wouldn’t try it. Especially because it isn’t cheap, I’d opt for an aquarium stand for anything 50 gallons and above. If the floor joists were a concern then this is a no brainer. 

Are there aquarium stands under $200 that you would recommend for my tank?

@HelplessNewbie I would build a 2x4 stand. It’ll cost a fraction even if you have to rent a drill. It can always be repurposed for whatever your needs. I’ve used old aquarium stands as desks, tables, plant stands, poker table, etc. You'll spend a fraction of the price, it’s super easy to put together, and there’s no question that it’ll hold up to whatever you throw at it. The best stand YouTube video I’ve ever seen was from king of diy, it’s super simplistic, yet really strong. Paint it whatever color you’d like or stain it and it’ll look pretty sweet. 

What do you guys think?

It looks like that is rated at 2000 lbs.  I'm assuming that includes the height adjustment pins.  So, I think that would be fine. 

There are an incredible number of options for "heavy duty workbench" and "heavy duty table".  Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Haddockway-Adjustable-Workbench-Capacity-Workstation/dp/B0B9S2FFCT

The only thing I could find was a 36" x 12" table for one of my tanks.  They are usually at least 18" wide.  However, if you are Ok with 18" or 24" wide tables, there are a an incredible number of choices.

On 10/2/2023 at 1:16 PM, Galabar said:

There are an incredible number of options for "heavy duty workbench" and "heavy duty table".  Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Haddockway-Adjustable-Workbench-Capacity-Workstation/dp/B0B9S2FFCT

The only thing I could find was a 36" x 12" table for one of my tanks.  They are usually at least 18" wide.  However, if you are Ok with 18" or 24" wide tables, there are a an incredible number of choices.

That looks neat with the built-in power strip! Had already ordered the Seville Classics, but will keep this in mind.

I realize my tank dimensions aren't standard. If I wanted to support a bigger tank on the same stand, I guess I should consider the wider tables, in case the Seville doesn't work out 

Hubby seemed relieved he wouldn't have to make the stand. He is very handy but has been very busy (and tired) these days. 😉

• Like 1

I've made stands before.  However, there are so many table/workbench options out there, that I might just get one next time.

You'll also see folks using those Home Depot/Lowes metal racks.  The only issue I've found with those is that the corner support beams can be bent if you knock something into them hard enough, which could lead to a disaster.

Those workbenches and tables have much thicker legs.  So, I don't get as worried.

• Like 1

With a tank this size you can look into getting plecos for clean up crew, or Cory’s. 
+Beware common plecos grow over 12 inches. 
+Cory catfish like to be in groups of 6 or more and are another great option! 
+shrimp are fun but beware with bigger fish or even fish that have a mouth that fits the shrimp they will get eaten 
+Some things I’ve had in my tank that have been fan favorites are red head tapajos, angel fish, blue rams, Cory cat fish and all the loaches!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 1:07 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

How can I keep a powerhead-driven ugf from sucking up shrimplets that might make it under the gravel plates? Or, if it does get sucked up, how can I make it so they can escape by themselves?

If there is no workaround, I guess this is another reason to go with airstone-driven ugf.

The UGF will be under the gravel.  The shrimplets wouldn't be able to dig all the way down there.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:16 AM, Galabar said:

The UGF will be under the gravel.  The shrimplets wouldn't be able to dig all the way down there.

Okay, that is reassuring!

So, here are a few ideas on the equipment

Screenshot_20230928-1857354.png.a7fcdc2e3dd6e1aa83fd2e6ec0f804c5.png

and plant placement.

Screenshot_20230928-1857355.png.39af39ddbcffdca1319740ba3322283c.png

What do you all think?

Edited by HelplessNewbie

On 10/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

What do you guys think?

Here is the assembled workbench-tank stand, thanks to my sweet husband! He won't level until tank is here.

Screenshot_20231008-185847.png.f002e92a55ad30aa2462f8127c33419a.png

We have decided on lowest (28.5") surface height for now...

Pros:

1)I can enjoy the view from a normal chair (or a future wheelchair, since I have a chronic condition that renders me disabled)

2) Easier for my family to reach into tank

Cons:

1) not conducive to viewing while standing near it

2) I wanted to place counter height stools underneath, because there will be about 6 inches or so in front of tank where one might place a drink while enjoying the fish... cannot do this when it is at low height

In the end, I am the main audience and ease of access for maintenance wins out.

I am giddy waiting to pickup the tank... and impatiently waiting a few weeks for ugf parts. I don't know why I sourced them this way, when I can get it next day elsewhere.

While waiting, I have a bin of crushed coral and safe-t-sorb, heater and water pump driven sponge filter in a storage tote of water, hopefully cycling and helping ensure a smoother setup.

My plan was to get the ugf, sponge filter and substrate in with the dechlorinated tap water, cover and ghost or ammonia feed for 4 weeks, via dark start.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 4:37 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

We have decided on lowest (28.5") surface height for now...

I would've done the same thing. I like to have eye level middle of the glass panel if I can. Sitting there, able to view it without doing too much straining on the neck.

It looks good. It'll be great to see when you have some things in place!

• Like 1