planning for our first big tank

HelplessNewbie

On 9/29/2023 at 11:19 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

You can go with a large school of more rowdy fish like barbs. They are absolutely stunning in large planted tanks. In large schools their aggression is typically aimed at eachother and not other fish

I got 5 Odessa barbs for $2 at my local swap meet. Do I need to get 5 or 7 more, to ensure peace in the community? Will they be okay with ricefish, pygmy cory and maybe cherry shrimp as tank mates?

• 4 months later...
On 10/14/2023 at 2:57 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

I got 5 Odessa barbs for $2 at my local swap meet. Do I need to get 5 or 7 more, to ensure peace in the community? Will they be okay with ricefish, pygmy cory and maybe cherry shrimp as tank mates?

How are they doing!?

On 2/29/2024 at 6:51 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

The barbs died in quarantine. It was during a water quality issue that affected many tanks. But, I have serpae tetra now. These guys are fun to watch. Very active.

They're one of my favorite fish.  I currently have somewhere around 15 in my 40 gallon breeder tank.  They're especially attractive in planted tanks since their colors contrast nicely with green foliage.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 12:45 PM, TJ _isme said:

If you want a fast growing plant that’s a bit more uncommon but very unique, you can use elodea (aka anacharis). Here is a picture I found online of elodea

IMG_0470.jpeg

Yes, that's exactly what I have ordered online. My last batch didn't make it because I seltzer soaked (reverse respiration) them too long (12 hrs). I am looking forward to trying again (will soak for only 1 hr next time)! However, USPS has a disappointing delay in this shipment, so I don't know if I will have mush upon arrival.

Floating plants like duckweed, frogbit or salvinia don't make it in my display tanks because of too much surface agitation and, their leaves never dry off because I keep tank lids and water level on most of them is up to the rim. I had duckeded in my daphnia jars and qt for a while but I got tired of having to scrape them off my arm each time I messed around in the water.

I decided I will stick with floating hornwort for a while longer. Eventually, I might try floating water wisteria. I like the idea of having long roots hanging down.

Edited by HelplessNewbie

On 4/17/2024 at 1:33 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

Yes, that's exactly what I have ordered online. My last batch didn't make it because I seltzer soaked (reverse respiration) them too long (12 hrs). I am looking forward to trying again (will soak for only 1 hr next time)! However, USPS has a disappointing delay in this shipment, so I don't know if I will have mush upon arrival.

Floating plants like duckweed, frogbit or salvinia don't make it in my display tanks because of too much surface agitation and, their leaves never dry off because I keep tank lids and water level on most of them is up to the rim. I had duckeded in my daphnia jars and qt for a while but I got tired of having to scrape them off my arm each time I messed around in the water.

I decided I will stick with floating hornwort for a while longer. Eventually, I might try floating water wisteria. I like the idea of having long roots hanging down.

I really like hornwort to, I have never tried it because my Lfs never has Any in stock, I am hoping to get some soon to put in my guppy tank

On 4/17/2024 at 11:38 AM, TJ _isme said:

Duckweed is a fast growing floater that can help remove lots of nitrates and other waste

But make very sure you want duckweed before getting some.  It's much more difficult to get rid of than it is to acquire.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2024 at 2:51 PM, JettsPapa said:

But make very sure you want duckweed before getting some.  It's much more difficult to get rid of than it is to acquire.

This is true, I take out tons of duck weed every week, and I still have plenty to suck up nitrates. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to try to get rid of it

On 4/17/2024 at 9:38 AM, TJ _isme said:

Duckweed is a fast growing floater that can help remove lots of nitrates and other waste

Most or all floating plants should follow In this category, but duckweed is exceptionally difficult for some to get rid of. I would suggest other floaters like red root or salvinia species. Just check your state for what's actually legal.

On 4/18/2024 at 8:23 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Most or all floating plants should follow In this category, but duckweed is exceptionally difficult for some to get rid of. I would suggest other floaters like red root or salvinia species. Just check your state for what's actually legal.

I agree it is very hard to get rid of if you want it gone, I think it looks really cool so I keep it, plus it is native to where I live so it’s legal.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 10:36 PM, TJ _isme said:

I agree it is very hard to get rid of if you want it gone, I think it looks really cool so I keep it, plus it is native to where I live so it’s legal.

It turns out it wasn't legal here in my state. I got it with some fish that was shipped to me. It took a few months for me to get rid of it all, once I decided I didn't want it anymore.