Greetings from Seattle! Aug 2023

Janet C.

Retired from Boeing after 35 yrs and aquariums were always a bucket list item. In the past few months I’ve adopted two tanks from folks who were leaving town. Somehow this seemed less intimidating than starting from scratch and at least I knew their tanks were stable and healthy. 

I adopted a 6 year established 10 gal that had two bristlenose Plecos in it and I added two Amano shrimp (I know! I’m so wild and crazy!!). Plecos just had babies so I must be doing something right. 

Last week I took on a 12 gal bookshelf aquarium that is heavily planted and has about 10 community type fish and one “not yet seen” super red Pleco. 

Next I want to try establishing a small shrimp tank. 

Janet

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Welcome from Shoreline, WA! 

You’ve dove straight in and I love that you’ve taken on some established tanks taking the biggest barrier to the hobby “cycling” and “maturing” tanks out of the equation! 

As a fellow Seattlite I’d like to point out our local club The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society which is a great resource. Meetings have an auction where plants and livestock already adapted to our water are sold, speakers who are not just nationally but internationally renowned and just a lovely group of people who are dedicated hobbyists. Some of the members on here are @Seattle_Aquarist, @Bentley Pascoe, @Patrick_G and many others! Also you get access to all the past media the club has created. 

Have fun and reach out if you need anything! 

• Like 3

On 8/14/2023 at 9:44 AM, Janet C. said:

I adopted a 6 year established 10 gal that had two bristlenose Plecos in it and I added two Amano shrimp (I know! I’m so wild and crazy!!). Plecos just had babies so I must be doing something right. 

Welcome to the forums, happy to have you here!  I wouldn't mind that exact setup one bit.  I love a good pleco, amano shrimp setup.  They are such interesting things to watch and it'll be a very easy to enjoy setup.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:44 AM, Janet C. said:

Last week I took on a 12 gal bookshelf aquarium that is heavily planted and has about 10 community type fish and one “not yet seen” super red Pleco. 

Awesome!  I'm sure we all can't wait to see your tanks when you're ready to show them. 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:55 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

As a fellow Seattlite I’d like to point out our local club The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society which is a great resource

I second this!

If nothing else, the store discounts are definitely with the membership fee. Plus the auctions are lots of fun to see all the different stuff and some more uncommon stuff.

• Love 1