Finally Finished!

This old piano has been in my wife's family for 70+ years... the strings were crystalized, some ivories were missing and several broken hammers for starters. It would have cost a small fortune to make it all "right" as a piano, so instead it is becoming a 75 gallon aquarium in our exercise/library/entry-way room.

After extensive cosmetic restoration and modification (deepening & raising the height a few inches) it is ready for the tank. It has room below for two 10 gallon aquariums to act as quarantine/medical tanks as needed. My first aquariums in nearly 30 years! Very exciting!

ACO PIANO 2.JPG

ACO PIANO.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 4

@xXInkedPhoenixX Me, too! Just a couple of months ago it was all in pieces in the garage/shed. I had to disassemble it and leave the cast iron insides just to get it into my van to move it from my wife's mother's house. Even with the guts gone, it weighs almost as much as a full 75 gallon tank (over 500 lbs). They built those old pianos to last! lol

• Love 1

That's crazy, but totally believable that it is so heavy. Our predesessors really did want quality products as they didn't just give things up all the time like we do.  Our family had a grand piano that ended up just getting trashed because sadly the real ivory keys could not be sold/transferred/donated per CA state law. Ridiculous IMO since the piano was in existence long, long before any of the animal trade issues were a "thing". Don't get me wrong I'm an animal lover but don't see the point nor honor in throwing it away. Very sad. I'm glad you've found a way to give it a deserving life. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

That is terribly sad. Sometimes the laws do not reflect the real values of the people. My wife grew up learning to play on this piano as did her mother before her, so we were glad to claim it. We don't have such restrictions here, but I actually cut out pieces of plastic the size and thickness of the missing ivories and custom painted them to match. It was more a matter of cost and availability than anything.

A grand piano would be quite interesting as an aquarium. The shape would likely require a custom build to look right... very expensive... even if you built it yourself. I looked into custom building the tank before I began work on the piano, but the costs of the water proofing materials alone are about as much as many large standard tanks! And, that's before sourcing the glass, buying the plywood or lifting a finger to build it (As Joey, King of DIY, said years ago... unless you are building something bigger than the typical standard size tanks [300 gallons+] it simply doesn't make sense dollar wise to do it).

That is still true, today. If you can use a standard tank, then that is way more cost effective... and, I really didn't want to tackle the build at this point in my life! lol Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 1:20 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Our family had a grand piano that ended up just getting trashed because sadly the real ivory keys could not be sold/transferred/donated per CA state law. Ridiculous IMO since the piano was in existence long, long before any of the animal trade issues were a "thing". 

20 years ago, we got a piano with ivory veneer keys in very bad shape. We hired someone to replace the keys, he took the old keys. Instead of trashing a piano, just replace the keys and toss the ivory ones in the trash. 

The problem is, people can make artwork from ivory claiming it is recycled when in fact, it is not recycled. Using ivory for anything is just stupid, we have so many manufactured materials. Just look at quartz countertops, get a block of that and grind away! 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 1:06 AM, madmark285 said:

The problem is, people can make artwork from ivory claiming it is recycled when in fact, it is not recycled.

Yes, I do understand why the law is the way the law is but most honest people, in this case in particular, are only trying to pass on an heirloom/piece of musical history that in the end is destroyed (because nobody in my family was able to care for it or had space) because dishonest people make "art". 

The laws for many just because of a few is what frustrates me personally.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

@madmark285 Agreed... no need to use ivory for anything. I also don't like the idea of destroying things after the fact, especially when you consider the animal has already given up its life and that cannot be restored. Seems like a second injustice piled on top of the first.

@xXInkedPhoenixX Yes, that bothers me, too. If we took the resources spent (wasted) on watching the "many" and focused it toward the "few" where the problem occurs, then we would most likely achieve the results desired.

I am reminded of the two kinds of teachers I had as a kid... one would punish the whole class even when they knew who the culprit actually was, the other type would simply bring the hammer down on the guilty! Unfortunately, we seem to have a world full of the former, rather than the latter. 

Sadly, there are a misguided people who (if they had their way) would end the entire aquarium hobby altogether because of the practices of a few.

@Guppysnail Thanks! I have enjoyed working on it, as it is also valued by my wife and her mother. I am hoping to get the 75 before the Petco sale ends, although there is a LFS that also sometimes has them at that price, so I will be checking with them first, even though they are an extra hour away.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This will be a community tank of like sized fish: approximately .75"-2". I will be aiming toward that middle of the road sweet spot where the water specs and temperature intersect for both tetras and live-bearers. Here is my list (numbers are approximate):

Centerpiece Fish:

2 - Yellow Honey Gourami (1M/1F),

4 - Swordtails (1M/3F)

Top Dwellers:

12 - Marbled Hatchets.

Mid Dwellers (schooling):

12 - Cardinal Tetras,

12 - Chili Rasbora,

12 - Galaxy Rasbora (CPDs),

12 - Red Coral Pencils.

Bottom Dwellers:

12 - Hasbrosus Corys.

Edge Dwellers (my terminology):

12 - Neocaradina Shrimp (various colors),

12 - Nerite Snails (various colors).

This list may be slightly subject to change, but that is it right now.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by JChristophersAdventures
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@JChristophersAdventures

That looks like an amazing list of fish for a 75 gallon tank.  You'll have to post a few pictures when it's complete.  I also am in the process of getting a 75 gallon set up. I haven't quite decided what will all be in it, but my 6 year old daughter always has suggestions everytime we head to the fish store.  Unfortunately between work and home responsibilities the progress has been a bit on the slower setup.  The stand arrived this week from FishTankUSA, now to find time tp build it.

• Like 1

I think it looks good but I’d cut out the swords. Although it could work they never make for an”peaceful” tank. They are very rambunctious and it’s not their fault they just are constantly in breeding mode and if fish get in their way they don’t think nana attack. I think a dwarf platy would be a better choice. Just my 2 cents. Another choice for a livebearer and top dweller would be wrestling halfbeaks. 

• Like 1

@Milliardo Peacecraft Thanks! My progress is slow, too (both time and budget wise). I just do what I can do each month and don't worry about. I just finished converting an old piano to hold a 75 inside of it. Next, I will be getting the actual aquarium as I am able. The bright side is that I won't be able to mistakenly add too many fish at once, as a decent size school of fish is not cheap, even though the price per fish may be quite reasonable! lol

• Like 1

@Beardedbillygoat1975 A number of my fish keeping friends feel the same way and I get that. When I had a 55 community tank back in the 90s, I never had any problems with swords, except where I tried multiple males and/or not enough females. I know most of the other live-bearers are easier to keep and generally more docile, but swordtails remain my favorite live-bearer. It helps to get them when they aren't much bigger than your other fish and It also depends on the personality of the individual fish. It might take a little more diligence to avoid a "bully", but I think they are worth it. Thanks.

@TheSwissAquarist You might be right on the gourami on both counts. The honey gourami (trichogaster chuna) is about as docile and agreeable as a gourami can be. Supposedly, the adult shrimp will be okay, however, any shrimplets that appear will probably quickly disappear (which is okay for a display tank). The main issue will most likely be a freshly molted adult. My plan is to keep the fish well fed. We'll just have to see.

As for the M/F ratio, perhaps it would be better with an additional female. I wouldn't be trying it at all with trichogaster lalius (except maybe females only... which are harder to find). But, I know some people have problems with multiple females getting along... it can all be a challenge. May just have to play that part of it by ear. Thanks.

@JChristophersAdventuresas Cory says frequently it could work or not but the wildtypes I’ve kept in the last 10 years have been pretty aggressive. I think a domesticated strain like Berlins or Kohaku could be easier and they are gorgeous. I lost my breeding group of Kohaku tricolors in my move over a year ago. I debate often about using my 60 g in the garage for that purpose but I’ve got 2 guppy strains now, plecos and shrimp coming so I need to keep it open. Best of luck and keep having fun!!

• Like 1

Neat idea.  I don’t think I could stay that disciplined without throwing some larger fish in there. 😆

based on your parameters I think you have a great list.  I’d add some ottos if me but I love those guys.  

Are you doing plants?

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:36 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Maybe replace the honey gouramis with Leopoldi angels or Festivums? A female betta? 
 @Schuyler do your Nothos killis eat shrimp? 

They may have, I wouldn't put it past them. I've had them eat smaller Nothos as long as they fit in their mouth.

If you want to try a killifish in the tank I would go with clown killis or Aphyosemion striatum (striped killifish). I think @Slick_Nickkeeps them with shrimp and they are much more mellow.

With the schooling fish I would consolidate and maybe do two bigger schools. Like 24 cardinals would be pretty cool because you could see some nice schooling behavior.

I would also warn against live-bearers unless you have a plan for when the population explodes 

• Like 2

@_Eric_ Yes... I wouldn't call it a heavily planted tank... in fact, perhaps I shouldn't even call it "planted". I am doing lot of plants, but I have decided to stick to floating plants and plants attached to hardscape... there are several reasons for this: first, I want to easily be able to gravel vac without a lot of rooted plants to worry about. Second, I want to be able to dose the water column without worries as to substrate nutrients (avoid all the expense and potential problems with nutrient rich substrates/root tabs... not knocking it, just don't wish to do it). Then, I just test to maintain the desired nitrate level and... done! Plus trimming is minimal/easier and doesn't leave the tank looking like a bad hair cut until it grows back.

I will be using lower level light, easier care plants for both the floaters and hardscape: various mosses, pogostemon stellatus octopus, java ferns and Brazilian penny-wort. Don't get me wrong, those high light CO2 plants are nice, but I also want the fish to be the focal point in this tank, not the plants. Thanks.  

On 7/15/2023 at 6:28 AM, JChristophersAdventures said:

Centerpiece Fish:

2 - Yellow Honey Gourami (1M/1F),

4 - Swordtails (1M/3F)

Top Dwellers:

12 - Marbled Hatchets.

Mid Dwellers (schooling):

12 - Cardinal Tetras,

12 - Chili Rasbora,

12 - Galaxy Rasbora (CPDs),

12 - Red Coral Pencils.

Bottom Dwellers:

12 - Hasbrosus Corys.

Edge Dwellers (my terminology):

12 - Neocaradina Shrimp (various colors),

12 - Nerite Snails (various colors).

My only advice here is to verify things against your desired temp range and your desired water parameters. If you're keeping neos, try to establish the Colony before adding fish. The swords will basically terrorize the shrimp if they feel like it. Mine sure do.

I ran into a little bit of an issue when I had cooler fish (like your CPD) which usually want a 7.0 pH and a certain temp and I added other fish that wanted a slightly higher PH and temp. There is a balance there and it can work. It's just the type of thing to keep a check on and to verify.

Your stocking seems fine with an * on the neocaridina and the CPDs. I would recommend swapping them for Amano shrimp and another type of tetra.

• Like 1

Unfortunately @Schuyler the shrimp are no longer around. The killis paid no attention to them at the beginning but then I started to notice the numbers diminishing and then I caught a male red handed with an adult cherry shrimp hanging out of his mouth. I had plenty of hiding places for the shrimp but the fish would wiggle right in after them. Unfortunately some fish just don’t do well with shrimp for the shrimps safety. Hope you find something that works!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 3:33 PM, JChristophersAdventures said:

@_Eric_ Yes... I wouldn't call it a heavily planted tank... in fact, perhaps I shouldn't even call it "planted". I am doing lot of plants, but I have decided to stick to floating plants and plants attached to hardscape... there are several reasons for this: first, I want to easily be able to gravel vac without a lot of rooted plants to worry about. Second, I want to be able to dose the water column without worries as to substrate nutrients (avoid all the expense and potential problems with nutrient rich substrates/root tabs... not knocking it, just don't wish to do it). Then, I just test to maintain the desired nitrate level and... done! Plus trimming is minimal/easier and doesn't leave the tank looking like a bad hair cut until it grows back.

I will be using lower level light, easier care plants for both the floaters and hardscape: various mosses, pogostemon stellatus octopus, java ferns and Brazilian penny-wort. Don't get me wrong, those high light CO2 plants are nice, but I also want the fish to be the focal point in this tank, not the plants. Thanks.  

I was more thinking of cover for your shrimp than anything else.  The swordtails will slaughter any in the open.  You can provide some hardscape to give the shrimp a fighting chance.  I wouldn’t drop a lot of money on the shrimp anyway though until you can prove they will work. Swordtails are decent hunters.   far as adding to schools, I’d keep in mind that you will be wall to wall swordtails unless you go all male.

• Like 1