Can't find Pleco

Jake19

Hello, 

I purchased a L257 Tigris Pleco on 7/11. Saw it later that day and haven't seen it since. I tried looking under all of my decor today because I haven't had any luck seeing it. I've turned off the lights during the day, and checked at night like 30 minutes after shutting them off. Have put in algae wafers, and there is driftwood and some live plants in the tank. 

Any chance you think it could still be alive and I just missed it when trying to flip my decor to look under everything? Or think it's dead? Couldn't find a carcass but it's been several days so it could have been cleaned up by now. 

Thank you!

Update: Added pictures of tank. Have removed the castles and 3 co-op planters with java fern and used a flashlight. 

20230717_090005.jpg

20230717_090056.jpg

20230717_122401.jpg

Edited by Jake19
Added photos of tank
  • Like 3

I have a clown pleco that hides in a house I have as decor in my tank, or at least I think he hides wedged in there somewhere and it will be weeks on end where I don't see him, and I'm convinced that he became sushi as I have fish that would clean him up and be quite happy about it...  but then after a few weeks I'll spot him again and he's just fine and very healthy.  He just is never visible.

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who rarely sees their clown pleco. I have one who hides in this one spot under some driftwood and thick annubias bunch. I only see it if I lift it the whole thing for cleaning. I often wonder if he moves around at night.

• Like 1

If possible, please post a photo of the tank so we can get an idea of what the decor looks like. What was the size of the pleco? If you have any artificial decor it would be a very good idea to try to find the fish and ensure it isn't stuck. They will put out their little dentrils to hold in place when you move the decor. Lift the decor in and out of the water as a method to encourage the fish to release. Use a flashlight, check all the small "tunnels" and try to find the fish.

• Like 1

Surprised you ever saw it in there. 

I have a barebottom discus tank with a single piece of driftwood and a pleco cave.  I never see them unless their tale happens to be out of the cave.  Not even during 90% water changes.  I would be worried it's stuck inside one of the decor items if those are hollow though. 

Did a fairly large water change and checked in the decor. I was the only one cleaning so easily could've snuck out and into another hiding spot. 

I frequently see my Bristlenose and Galaxy Otocinclus but think this one might be gone unfortunately. 

I try to take a picture every time I see my clown pleco but don’t always manage to get pics.  The longest between documented sightings so far is 13 months but I did see him only a couple months ago but couldn’t get pics.  I just have to take it on faith he’s still in there.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1