Will this stand hold a 55 gallon aquarium with everything in it

Mr.K

This is what my two 20 gallon longs are on. Will this hold a 55 gallon aquarium. The center of the stand is in the pic. Will this hold? 

image.jpg

It looks like it’s bending in the pic but I just used a level and it says it’s level 

@Mr.K It is really hard to tell just from a picture. What I can say is that a 55 gallon tank is going to be somewhere around 625 lbs depending on water height, decorations, etc.

Usually tank stands are preferred because they support weight really well vertically and typically at the corners.

Add to all of this that the wood can fatigue if not supported in the right areas, and it would be a bit risky. 2x 20 gallon tanks would be around 550 lbs (again depending on the above mentioned parameters).

I personally wouldn't risk a larger tank on a piece of furniture that isn't designed to hold that kind of weight vertically, but that is just me.

Curious for @nabokovfan87, @Pepere, and @Chick-In-Of-TheSea take on this one.

7 minutes ago, Dork Fish said:

@Mr.K It is really hard to tell just from a picture. What I can say is that a 55 gallon tank is going to be somewhere around 625 lbs depending on water height, decorations, etc.

Usually tank stands are preferred because they support weight really well vertically and typically at the corners.

Add to all of this that the wood can fatigue if not supported in the right areas, and it would be a bit risky. 2x 20 gallon tanks would be around 550 lbs (again depending on the above mentioned parameters).

I personally wouldn't risk a larger tank on a piece of furniture that isn't designed to hold that kind of weight vertically, but that is just me.

Curious for @nabokovfan87, @Pepere, and @Chick-In-Of-TheSea take on this one.

Yeah idk if I would trust it either. I might just make one my own with my father. How much do you think it would cost to make my own stand? I’m trying to get as many responses as I’m new to this kind of stuff and want to do it right.

@Mr.K Honestly, it depends on the route you take. In other words, you could build a stand from pine, you could get a metal stand and panel it.

You could also probably find a used stand for about as much as the wood itself at this point. 🙂

@Mr.K For example I got my 75 gallon and stand used for $300 and it still came with another $200 of equipment that I ended up not needing to buy.

Not sure the cost of the wood and the time to build the stand would have been worth it in my case.

22 minutes ago, Dork Fish said:

@Mr.K Honestly, it depends on the route you take. In other words, you could build a stand from pine, you could get a metal stand and panel it.

You could also probably find a used stand for about as much as the wood itself at this point. 🙂

@Mr.K For example I got my 75 gallon and stand used for $300 and it still came with another $200 of equipment that I ended up not needing to buy.

Not sure the cost of the wood and the time to build the stand would have been worth it in my case.

This is a stand I found on the internet. Would you trust it? Here is that Link: https://suntparadise.com/products/55-75-gallon-fish-tank-stand-heavy-duty-metal-aquarium-stand-with-cabinet-52l-19-68383462?variant=24094175&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl4eD6d_V_wIVxB99Ch0UOAa9EAQYAiABEgIBr_D_BwE

So the link that was posted by is for a 20 gallon long and looks pretty simple to build, no?@redfish looks like I will be making my own stand as it will likely be just as expensive or maybe even cheaper. Perhaps more expensive. 
thank you! The two 20 gallon longs will be gone soon so the load on the dresser will be taken off.

• Like 1

20L = 225 lbs
55G = 625 lbs

Yes I understand there is two tanks there, but ultimately you're looking at a much bigger load than you think.

I got my 55G stand on sale for about $60.  It wasn't insane and it's a great stand that can turn into a bookshelf or TV stand when I need it. 

The big box stores have "the trick" you can use and you can go get a nice stand with a good size coupon via the app. There's a bentley pascoe video on the topic that I recommend you check out if you can't find a sale price you like.

If we wanted to fully dive into using this as an option there is a few things of note here with the load.  The drawers at the bottom alter the load path (goes from 3 to 2 drawers) which isn't good for the stress.  I would also be very curious about what the underside (on the inside) of that top of the dresser looks like and how it's built.

7 minutes ago, nabokovfan87 said:

20L = 225 lbs
55G = 625 lbs

Yes I understand there is two tanks there, but ultimately you're looking at a much bigger load than you think.

I got my 55G stand on sale for about $60.  It wasn't insane and it's a great stand that can turn into a bookshelf or TV stand when I need it. 

The big box stores have "the trick" you can use and you can go get a nice stand with a good size coupon via the app. There's a bentley pascoe video on the topic that I recommend you check out if you can't find a sale price you like.

If we wanted to fully dive into using this as an option there is a few things of note here with the load.  The drawers at the bottom alter the load path (goes from 3 to 2 drawers) which isn't good for the stress.  I would also be very curious about what the underside (on the inside) of that top of the dresser looks like and how it's built.

Ohh a coupon! I would for sure check that out to get a discount if I get the stand from petco/petsmart. I do not wish to modify my dresser as that is a no go with my parents lol

10 minutes ago, redfish said:

Yes, that project was for a 20g but it can scale up for a 55g easily.  I have used similar builds for my 55 g tanks.  Even using the cinder blocks and 2x4 builds like Cory does in his fish rooms work fine too.

Do you think you could send me the blue print with the supplies I would need to make this? 

• Like 1

Here is a video of Cory building a cinder block stand.

Fish stand

I don’t have any plans but expanding on the 20g example, you would cut the 2x4’s to cover the 48” by 13” size of the 55g tank.   Rough estimates would be around 6 2x4’s 8 foot long depending on how you assemble it.  I used bolts on the legs which made it simpler to build but still support the load.

Edited by redfish

19 minutes ago, redfish said:

Here is a video of Cory building a cinder block stand.

Fish stand

I don’t have any plans but expanding on the 20g example, you would cut the 2x4’s to cover the 48” by 13” size of the 55g tank.   Rough estimates would be around 6 2x4’s 8 foot long depending on how you assemble it.  I used bolts on the legs which made it simpler to build but still support the load.

Wait so it would be 8ft long? Need it to be 52 in long maximum. Thank you for the suggestion on the 2x4s though. I will check them out for sure 

8 foot is a standard size of a 2x4.  You have to cut it to the size you need.  Roughly figuring, you can build a stand with 6  2x4’s 8 foot long which you will cut to the needed lengths.  One 2x4 8 foot long cut in half gives you 48” which is the length of the 55g tank. Couple 48” boards and a couple 13” boards gives you the top frame.  You want a similar bottom shelf for stability and some legs.  That’s a rough layout.  Adjust each board length depending on how you assemble, etc.  

Alright so to build this I would need 6, 8ft long 2x4s, a miter saw, a level, screws. That’s just a rough shopping list. If you could give me a shopping list of what I will need that would be great!

8 minutes ago, ScandiDefense said:

I wouldn't do so because the middle part is bowing!!! 

Yup. I’m getting rid of both of them in October early January. I’m in the process of researching a diy 55g stand 

I’m going to go against the grain here. That looks like an old oak cabinet. Those could hold an elephant without even a creak. 

I would trust that oak cabinet more than any of the flimsy particle board stands they sell now. 

For reference I had a 55g on an old oak cabinet and it held without issues for years. 

• Like 1