Hello from Tennessee - Seeking stocking advice for 29 gallon

Hello all! New to the forum but have kept fish on/off since I was a teenager.  I finally got my 55 Gallon to where I want it and now I'm bored so I started cleaning up a 29 gallon last weekend with my youngest son. I need small fish that like plants and maneuvering around them. Any recommendations would be appreciated. It would be nice to add some color to the tank whether it be fish or plants. Going to let it cycle for a while but in the meantime planning on what I'll add to it. IMG_0110.PNG.a184ac948b91f742163350a4970b5811.PNG

• Like 5

Kubotai rasbora are very active but small fishes that like modest temp; if you look at them closely they actually have a blue stripe that adds to their beauty but swimming you won't notice it much. In my 29 i keep ember tetra with a pare of nannacara amolae; she mostly ignores the tetra but goes after the male with a vengence - you know how dare you leave me with all these eggs to care for - and she really does beat the crap out of him - anyway a 29 is a decent size aquarium. If you are on the east side there are some decent stores; in the middle/west not so much. To be honest there are hundreds of fishes that likely meet your critera - i'll name a few suitable for a 29:

cardinal tetra

green neon tetra

kubotai rasbora

(dozen other rasbora)

cherry barbs

(most barbs can get a bit larger but cherry stays a decent size - around the size of a cardinal)

white fin rosy tetra (these along with many other species like phantom, serpae, ...) get a bit larger and i'd limit myself to around 6 or 8.

--

While kubtai rasbora are a fast schooling fish - they are rather small - i would avoid larger schooling fishes like rummynose as the aquarium really isn't large enough for them (lack of swimming area) -- cardinals are the same size as rummy but they don't swim much - they like to just sit in the plants looking pretty. 

You could also consider something like pygmy cory - they are a bit different than other cory (besides being small; smaller than cardinal tetras) they love to swim and school.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 8:59 PM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome to the forum. That tank looks lovely. I keep honey gourami in my 29. I recently saw my friends 29 with pork chop Harlequin rasbora. They really looked good in their 29. 

6CFDD852-E5FE-4C64-9574-3FE438663C80.png

I've never heard of a Porkchop Rasbora. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:53 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

There are so many options to pick from. I would probably do guppies or endlers, but there are many interesting tetra species that would look amazing too! Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely considering Endlers.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2023 at 2:05 PM, anewbie said:

Kubotai rasbora are very active but small fishes that like modest temp; if you look at them closely they actually have a blue stripe that adds to their beauty but swimming you won't notice it much. In my 29 i keep ember tetra with a pare of nannacara amolae; she mostly ignores the tetra but goes after the male with a vengence - you know how dare you leave me with all these eggs to care for - and she really does beat the crap out of him - anyway a 29 is a decent size aquarium. If you are on the east side there are some decent stores; in the middle/west not so much. To be honest there are hundreds of fishes that likely meet your critera - i'll name a few suitable for a 29:

cardinal tetra

green neon tetra

kubotai rasbora

(dozen other rasbora)

cherry barbs

(most barbs can get a bit larger but cherry stays a decent size - around the size of a cardinal)

white fin rosy tetra (these along with many other species like phantom, serpae, ...) get a bit larger and i'd limit myself to around 6 or 8.

--

While kubtai rasbora are a fast schooling fish - they are rather small - i would avoid larger schooling fishes like rummynose as the aquarium really isn't large enough for them (lack of swimming area) -- cardinals are the same size as rummy but they don't swim much - they like to just sit in the plants looking pretty. 

You could also consider something like pygmy cory - they are a bit different than other cory (besides being small; smaller than cardinal tetras) they love to swim and school.

Thank you for taking the time to drop some names. It seems Rasboras are fairly popular here. I've never kept them and many of the names being talked about I have no idea about so I'm reading up on them, I should have actually mentioned what you stated about the swimming area as the spiderwood and plants take up a lot of space,

On 3/25/2023 at 9:39 PM, brevilo99 said:

Thank you for taking the time to drop some names. It seems Rasboras are fairly popular here. I've never kept them and many of the names being talked about I have no idea about so I'm reading up on them, I should have actually mentioned what you stated about the swimming area as the spiderwood and plants take up a lot of space,

Rasbora like Tetra is just a large genus with diverse members; the reason I think they tend to be popular is many of the species are relative small which fit folks smaller setup (a 29 is not exactly small relatively speaking) - and while there are small tetra like green neon and ember many common tetra are larger.

A 29 is fairly tall so fishes that tend towards the top will not be impacted by your spiderwood (unless your piece is 25 inches high). Taking this into account - i will mention that kubotai rasbora while very active tend towards the very top; cardinals while they tend to 'hide' lower in dense plants et all are not super active so they won't be bothered by the spider wood or plants. Ember are also not very active and tend to stay more mid level. I'm not trying to push a specific species but I think you should consider what you want when you pick a specific species (and you can go with more than one species) whether it be danio, tetra, rasbora, ... just pay attention to the type of water they require vs what you have (most will want moderately soft or at least not super hard); the temp range if you end up with more than one species and activity level. I'm actually a big fan of serpae tetra and cherry barbs as well as kubotai, cardinals, .... there is no right answer here and as I mentioned there are 100's of species to select from and if you ask other people they will their favorites for various reasons - frequently it is 'look' which is a personal thing and should be discounted (as your preference  in that department might differ) but sometime it is behavior of a specific species. 

I will not that certain species have been heavily inbred or have a reputation of not being very healthy (such as neon tetra) and with those species you should probably try to buy wild caught samples as they tend to be a lot healthier (more robust).

• 4 weeks later...