Best process for moving fish from one home to another

Shadow

Hey all! 

I have just set up my first tank about 3-4 weeks ago and low, behold I found a much larger home and now will be moving. Curious, what ways some of you have transported tanks? I only have a 10 gallon rimless, but its stocked with some nice fish and plants. I think I need more substrate anyways, so while moving I am thinking off removing most everything(all of the livestock ie 9 fish, shrimp and snails, but also the plants). Would buying a new thick clear plastic tote with a lid be good? Just add tank water into it and then an air stone...put all of them in there? Only moving about 35 miles away, so not super far. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated! 🙂 

Edited by Shadow

@Shadow

for the tank id get something like bubble wrap, and pack it tight in a box, dont let it move around.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, Shadow said:

Would buying a new thick clear plastic tote with a lid be good? Just add tank water into it and then an air stone...put all of them in there?

no.

bacteria does not live in the water, this will not work.

but i recomend, if you have one, use a sponge filter in there that is cycled, or throw in some established sponge or bio rings, something to get the bacteria going.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, Shadow said:

Would buying a new thick clear plastic tote with a lid be good? Just add tank water into it and then an air stone...put all of them in there?

This is fine. I actually recommend a 5 gallon bucket with a handle it’s easier. If not make sure you get a no see through tote. The dark will keep the critters restful and be less stress on them. Drop the airstone in. I do not recommend putting any sponges etc in as shifting can injure your babies. 
Have everything ready example new substrate washed and ready. The fish will be fine for 3-4 hours with just an airstone. Feed very light the day before the move early in the AM. Do not feed moving day. Fill bucket/tote 1/2 full. Once you get where you are going use the new water source with dechlorinator to fill the bucket/ tote to dilute any ammonia while you set the tank up. 
I have moved with fish many times. It sound scarier and like a much bigger ordeal than it will be if you prep everything ahead of time. Best of luck and let us know how you make out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Thanks everyone! 

I will get a 5 gallon bucket to help with lessening the stress on them. Pop an air stone in and transport them that way. Should I use any tank water to keep the same parameters or prep the water and just add them into new, clean water for transport? @Theplatymaster? Then I can prep the tank quickly and move them/the tank there...set up the tank and put them in as quick as possible. I plan on moving the tank last so I can go straight into working on it and have them all moved, back into tank within 3 hours. I will also fast them after a light morning feeding before moving them. If anyone has anymore suggestions on this process or tweaks, I am all ears...thanks a bunch! 

I would do as someone listed above but use 4 buckets: #1 for fish 1/2 full of water with the airstone; #2 for your plants, with the water level at least covering them; #3 for the substrate and any tank furniture, also covered in water; and the last for your filter(s) with water covering everything. Drive slowly and mellowly -- haha! I try to keep as much original water as possible so the move is more like a normal water change than something too new.

• Like 4

Putting them in completely new water to move then putting them in the new location water us a bit much change in one day. I personally would use all tank water as transport then add new water to the bucket on arrival. Set up the tank make sure temp is close and net them and drop them in a tank if all new water. 

• Like 1

I use 4-5 buckets to move a tank.

One for fish.

One for filter + rocks

One for plants.

One for wood.

Just remember.... Plants have to stay wet and don't forget about them.

Substrate goes in another bucket. Maybe two.

If you need to, a tote works to move water as well. Buckets + lids are incredibly useful.

• Like 2

I like everyone’s suggestions with the totes and buckets but personally moving short distance I just go to the LFS and buy fish bags to transport fish and plants. They will be fine in their for hours. Then insulate in a foam box or something more environmentally friendly like an old freezer bag 😊

Since I did this very recently too, I also would say it’s far far easier to spend a couple days moving everything else first… then messing with the tank on a separate day. 

• Like 3

Having moved with fish before, it’s more stress than I’d be willing to go through again. I’d rehome the fish and get new ones after set up. It’s totally doable to move with fish, but moving is, in my opinion, the most stressful thing I’ve ever done (and I’m a cop with 3 kids in diapers) and the 30g I had to move was a terrible experience, and my move was less than 5 minutes away.

If you do want to keep your fish the Co-op nano pump will be your best friend.

Nah I think I will try the methods listed above, but I will try the nano pump as its good to have in my supply closet anyways. I have grown attached to these fish, this will be a personal tank, so I plan on keeping them. I am sure its pretty stressful at the time, but the juice should be worth the squeeze. Thanks for the advice and appreciate your service! 

• Like 1

Lol I had to go and make sure I was thinking of the same person! 

It was quite a stretch but you have guppies and I thought “juice was worth the squeeze” was a peculiar phrase to use in conjunction with fish tanks. Thus I landed on ‘guppy juice’ 

I will go make coffee now, clearly spring brain fog is hitting hard this morning 😋

edit: The thread also auto grabbed the first pic posted for the thumbnail, which is my lovely pic so I am just going to confuse everyone looking at this thread now…….

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Haha 2