Bee's First Tank Adventure

Hi everyone! I wanted to start a journal for documentation, potential advice/input, and just to try to make me more active in the forum. I'm a lurker by nature but I do want to be more active here and not just pop up if I have a problem, so this is part of that.

As the title says, this is my first tank. I did a lot of reading before deciding to go for it, including a lot on ACO blog. Then did a google search for fish stores nearby and found out I live close the ACO retail store! The store is just great, I'm so glad I live nearby. Anyway, I got a 10 gallon tank and planted it two weeks ago:

aquarium1.jpg.01d7187d0aecabf51fb8fb7d41d8e3b0.jpg

I got Brazilian Pennywort, Windelov Java Fern, Anubias nana petite, Dwarf Lily bulb, and a sad little Crypto I accidentally ripped most of the leaves off of 😱 Two weeks later:

aquarium2.jpg.d0a61ced578f25528342aa045257460f.jpg

The Dwarf Lily is looking pretty good. The Pennyworts died back pretty aggressively, but there are some new buds so that's good. I'm letting them float until the new buds come in and grow some roots. Everything else is about middle of the road. new growth but also some die back. I put in some various pods today, and some are still floating lol. And I have an empty Easy Planter so there's an excuse to go back and get a new plant lol. Not sure exactly what I'll get, and the planter probably won't stay there. I also definitely need to figure out how to take better tank pics lol.

Currently it seems like my Ammonia is good, but Nitrite bacteria haven't cultivated yet, so that's the hold out I have before getting my fish. My plan for tank inhabitants is:

• 1 Betta
  • 6 Ember tetra
  • 6 Pygmy corycats
  • 1 Nerite snail
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Hi @BeeGryphon, looks like a good start for your first tank! My first tank definitely did not look anywhere near as good as yours! Haha That is so cool that you live close to the ACO retail store! It is a goal of mine to visit it one day. I love your choice of pygmy corydoras! I have them in my 40 gallon and also have a school of cory habrosus in my 10 gallon. If you are going to keep the new plant in this tank, I would definitely suggest an anubias as that dwarf aquarium lilly will grow big and shade the plants below. An anubias would be ok being in the shade. Anyways, I cannot wait to see your tank progress. Thank you for sharing! 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 8:26 PM, Isaac M said:

Hi @BeeGryphon, looks like a good start for your first tank! My first tank definitely did not look anywhere near as good as yours! Haha That is so cool that you live close to the ACO retail store! It is a goal of mine to visit it one day. I love your choice of pygmy corydoras! I have them in my 40 gallon and also have a school of cory habrosus in my 10 gallon. If you are going to keep the new plant in this tank, I would definitely suggest an anubias as that dwarf aquarium lilly will grow big and shade the plants below. An anubias would be ok being in the shade. Anyways, I cannot wait to see your tank progress. Thank you for sharing! 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:18 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

Looking good! I am definitely jealous of your proximity to the coop. I live across the country and can only dream of having such a shop in my area.

Thank you both! And yes I'm so lucky, the ACO store is amazing, I just love it in there! Won't lie, the new plant is at least partially an excuse to pop in there lol. I love just browsing around tbh, even though it's usually super busy cause I usually go on Saturday. I do buy stuff, but always look at all the fish even though my tank isn't ready for them yet.

Thanks @Isaac M for the Anubias rec! Definitely will be getting something that's okay with shade and Anubias look very nice. And yes I just love teeny tiny corydoras, they're so cute!! And of course will fit nicely in my smaller tank.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 6:22 PM, BeeGryphon said:

Then did a google search for fish stores nearby and found out I live close the ACO retail store!

That's amazing.  I would offer any advice you need and make some suggestions, but I'd just as quickly send you into the shop and encourage you to ask the staff available there. 🙂

Best of luck, welcome, glad you decided to give the tank a go. Looks great!  I enjoy the branch coming down into the water from the top of the tank.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:13 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's amazing.  I would offer any advice you need and make some suggestions, but I'd just as quickly send you into the shop and encourage you to ask the staff available there. 🙂

Best of luck, welcome, glad you decided to give the tank a go. Looks great!  I enjoy the branch coming down into the water from the top of the tank.

Oh for sure, I definitely already have talked to them and gotten their advice a lot! But also good to have a sounding board in my hand, if nothing else.

Thanks so much! I think branch driftwood looks super cool so I definitely had to get one!

• Like 1

Got my new plant yesterday. Ended up going with a Crypt. tropica, which I think looks awfully nice in the planter! And as luck would have it, I managed to find one lone Marimo hidden behind a filter and snagged it!

IMG_20230312_150732365.jpg

Pretty sad my tank is ready for fish yet because I saw the most beautiful Betta when I was in the shop yesterday. It was like a light turquoise with almost pink coloring on the fins. Just gorgeous. I saw it when I popped in to poke around for a few minutes while we waited for the kebab restaurant to open up, and wasn't surprised at all when we came back after dinner to actually buy my plant and it wasn't there anymore. If my nitrite was good I would have nabbed it up in an instant!

Welp. Unfortunately I had to cut the Anubias nana petite from its little branch and throw most of it away.The rhizome was all rotted and the leaves were dying. I think I might have used too much super glue and smothered it? There was a little part that was still healthy and that part wasn't glued on, so that's my guess. I cut off the healthy piece and came away with a few leaves and a little root. Here's hoping it survives 🥺

Alright! I got my first fish on Saturday! 5 ember tetra and 2 nerite snails. Snails have been happily munching away at all my algae and seem to like sleeping under the driftwood. Embers have also been very happily hunting down all the copepods (I assume that's what they are) and paid zero attention to the food I gave them yesterday lol.

Got some pics. Tried to get some better ones of the embers by sitting by their favorite spot with my phone but they just hide behind the dwarf lily until I put the phone away. Don't even have to move, just no pictures allowed lol. Excuse the glare in the snails pic, didn't realize I had my flash on.

IMG_20230319_162431655.jpg

IMG_20230319_133539438~2.jpg

IMG_20230319_205049123.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 11:45 AM, BeeGryphon said:

We have achieved lily pad 😄

Oooh nice! dwarf aquarium Lillys will put up a whole lot more and fill up your tank! they are a great floating plant alternative to algae control 🙂

On 3/22/2023 at 9:08 AM, Sora said:

Oooh nice! dwarf aquarium Lillys will put up a whole lot more and fill up your tank! they are a great floating plant alternative to algae control 🙂

It is definitely soaking up all the extra nutrients! Once it really exploded in growth my nitrite and nitrate both dropped to zero/almost zero (respectively) and have stayed that way even after fertilizer dosing and introducing fish (admittedly tiny but slow to eat their dry food). And I didn't expect the leaves to get so big! I hope my betta will enjoy it ☺️ The ember tetras already like hiding behind the big leaf when they've decided I've shown them too much attention.