Backyard Mini-Pond Journal!

Daydre

Figured I'd start talking about my journey here since I recently gathered most of the supplies I needed! Hopefully I don't forget to update this thread lol.

I ended up getting a 40 gallon stock tank instead of the 110 since I misinterpreted the dimensions and it turns out there was no way the 110 gal was fitting in my dad's car 😔. Maybe someday lol. I have the gravel ready and most of the plants... just need to get the thing set up and running properly before I can add fish. 

F1A094BF-281F-44D5-AA41-C802E7AD4BB5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm planning on trying to add pickerel weed, lobelia cardinalis, either some vallisneria americana or dwarf sag (or both) on the very bottom, and american lotus. 

Possibly limnobium spongia if the lotus doesn't work out? Both lotus and pickerel weed seem to get pretty big so I'm worried about them crowding each other out. (Actually I'm worried I'm overcrowding with my plant choices in general, so if this seems cramped someone please tell me). I'm focusing on plants native to my area so if my plant choice seems unusual that's why lol. As much as I love water lettuce I live close to a waterway so I'm a bit paranoid.

• Like 2

Hm, does anyone have any tips on weatherproofing an air pump for long term use outdoors? I was planning on running a sponge filter out there but would the ambient humidity and possible temperature swings mess with the pump powering it?

I was planning on just kinda sticking the pump in a box with holes drilled in it or buying a Sockit box but I'm concerned that's not going to be enough.

Ended up just buying a pump that was more suited for outdoor use.

I'm super excited because the lotus I want to put in the pond germinated properly- I was worried at first that I messed up scarrifying them but nope most of them sprouted just fine!

8A9E2FFE-F4A8-4940-B0DB-4DE23AD26FCD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

Progress has been halted for now as I realized the outlet in the yard is not working. 😔

Called an electrician but I still need to get a quote for how much it'll cost to get a line out there. I'd try using some kind of solar power bank but all the ones I was able to find that actually looked like they had build quality were about as expensive as just calling an electrician. Anyone got any recs in case I'm not able to get the electrician in?

On 4/20/2023 at 9:06 AM, Daydre said:

Progress has been halted for now as I realized the outlet in the yard is not working. 😔

Called an electrician but I still need to get a quote for how much it'll cost to get a line out there. I'd try using some kind of solar power bank but all the ones I was able to find that actually looked like they had build quality were about as expensive as just calling an electrician. Anyone got any recs in case I'm not able to get the electrician in?

Honestly I thought about running a new outlet for my tub/stock tank pond last year. In the end I just ran a really long air line. 

I'd just fill up the tub to start it off then figure out filtration later to get is seasoned. I dumped a bunch of old tank water in mine  before I got the filtration figured out. Currently using a whisper ap150 meant for larger ponds located in my garage and out through the garage vents.

Edited by K McZongo

• 2 weeks later...

It's looking good, i plan to do something similar. it's so nice how it looks like it blends into your yard with landscaping all around. I look forward to the plants growing in and any fish. 

Do you have the fish in a tank or buying them when it's settled? just curious. 🙂

I don't currently have the fish, I'm planning on ordering them when I'm more sure the pond has enough beneficial bacteria to support them. My LFS told me I just need to give them a week's notice bc they need time to get the fish in anyway.

• Like 1

No pics today but the pond is cycled already?? It only took four days haha

I know cycling isn't the end-all be-all people say it is and it's going to be at least a couple days before i add anything but it's good to know it's at least fish safe

Four days isn’t generally long enough to cycle a pond. You can test it by adding some ammonia, if it’s fully cycled your test will show the ammonia dropping to zero and nitrates rising. If your ammonia isn’t zero or you’re seeing nitrites then you still have some time to go. Since you’re just adding a few small fish to a relatively large amount of water you’ll probably be fine doing a fish in cycle because by the time the toxins build up to harmful levels the pond will be cycled.