Aquarium safe lubricate for o rings

TeeJay

Just got a new fluval 207 canister filter and I'm looking for a lubricant that is safe to use on the o ring gasket 

I was looking at this and thought it would be safe since it's food grade silicone based.

F Edsrdus O-Ring Silicone Lubricant SG02 Food Grade, Clean, Dielectric and Seals Out Moisture 3OZ(85g) x1 Pack https://a.co/d/e8qyWbA

Edited by TeeJay

On 2/2/2023 at 9:26 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Consistency is really easy to use, that's why I like it. Normally used for dive equipment is how I first heard about it.

Kind of reminds me of taking silicone from the tube, curing it, grinding that to a paste.

As long as it's fishy friend safe I'm down with it.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Definitely used a lot. Definitely not fish safe. Petroleum based.

Right we have a food grade libe we use at work on the ice cream machines and pumps. I was going to use that until I realized it was petrolatum based.

Probably silicone grease. I use it on the o-rings on my scuba tanks.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I've used "super lube" and silicone grease. I'd recommend the second.

Food Grade Food Grade Pure Silicone Grease, 2.0 fl. oz. (59 ml) Jar https://a.co/d/fOG5xuR

In the Q&A the seller stated this is safe for aquariums.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
Fix link
  • Like 2

Eh vaseline is fine but i’d use silicone based lubricants anyway as they are hydrophobic when cured and generally last a long time in the aquaria.

also @Mmiller2001 your link just leads to an endless scrolling wheel of death.

edit: nvm my phone just doesn’t like google

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1

So, refresh my memory please, why exactly is this a good thing?  I remember being told when I got my filter to do that with the O ring, but it slipped my mind, and now here I am, 8 years in.  The ring in my Filstar is in pretty tight, I would think I'd do more damage trying to get it out.  Or do you just lubricate it in place?

On 2/4/2023 at 6:26 PM, Val said:

So, refresh my memory please, why exactly is this a good thing?  I remember being told when I got my filter to do that with the O ring, but it slipped my mind, and now here I am, 8 years in.  The ring in my Filstar is in pretty tight, I would think I'd do more damage trying to get it out.  Or do you just lubricate it in place?

I'm sure you could just live it in place. This is my first time having a canister filter so I just wanted to have it on hand to start off with. I figure if you haven't noticed and cracks or wear and tear too it you would be ok but I'm not sure.

On 2/4/2023 at 3:26 PM, Val said:

The ring in my Filstar is in pretty tight, I would think I'd do more damage trying to get it out.

You do need to remove it to lubricate it. They do have specialty tools for removing O-Rings.  Yes, absolutely can do more damage trying to get it out, especially if it's brittle.  You can try with a pair of dull tweezers or something similar as well to try to remove it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Scratch-Ring-Pick-Tool/dp/B07Y8QWX9B/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=o+ring+removal+tool&qid=1675560634&sr=8-2