Betta expertise needed please.

Goldfishgirl

Hello everyone,

I need a little help with my new betta .I received him in the mail yesterday , he was lost and in transit  7 days. He was packaged well but I am sure this is not the original fish I ordered. My real concern is the patch of white scales on his back they're raised up, and look like some kind of growth. Bettas' are not really my expertise. I've had a couple of them in the past however, I have never seen this. He's in the quarantine tank   I set up over a week ago with almond leaves, yes gravel and silk plants. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20221220_234227407~2.jpg

PXL_20221220_234115101~2.jpg

PXL_20221220_234115101.jpg

It looks cyst like. It’s hard for me to tell in the pictures but if it looks like it’s raised and slimy than it’s probably a cyst or tumor. If it looks fuzzy or a cotton like substance than it could be fungus. Not sure how to treat it. Salt definitely but I’m not sure if you’d need a bacterial med as well. 

Sadly if it’s a tumor there won’t be anything you can do to treat it. If it seems like it’s affecting his quality of life you may have to consider humanely euthanizing him.  If he acts like he could live with it, that might just be the way he is until he reaches the end of his life. 

Well, the poor thing. I'm not an expert, but my first guess is this little one needs some time in good water and aquarium salt. I would think it was damage from shipping. Of course if it is damage I'd want to prevent infection/bacteria- hence the salt and having a bacterial antibiotic available on standby if more aggressive treatment is needed. Then I would compose an email to the seller and while they have no control over shipping (this is the busiest shipping season- I probably wouldn't be shipping fish this time of year myself) I would ask them about a refund if I got the wrong fish but of course this little one is pretty cute I'd nurse them back to health and ask the seller if they've ever had this particular issue and what they'd recommend.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well, the poor thing. I'm not an expert, but my first guess is this little one needs some time in good water and aquarium salt. I would think it was damage from shipping. Of course if it is damage I'd want to prevent infection/bacteria- hence the salt and having a bacterial antibiotic available on standby if more aggressive treatment is needed. Then I would compose an email to the seller and while they have no control over shipping (this is the busiest shipping season- I probably wouldn't be shipping fish this time of year myself) I would ask them about a refund if I got the wrong fish but of course this little one is pretty cute I'd nurse them back to health and ask the seller if they've ever had this particular issue and what they'd recommend.

Well that's encouraging, ( I was afraid of a tumor)   I ordered my first betta in November, it arrived DOA, so this was a replacement fish. It was supposed to ship the first of December. I think they forgot. I have already started salt. How kind should I find the salt to work before starting antibiotics? 

• Sad 1

Personally, if @Odd Duckgives advice to medicate I'd follow it to a T, however if I were in your shoes right now, I would salt the tank and observe the fish. ANY signs of stress, further illness or injury- or the raised scales start looking fuzzy, red or more join them, I would start using medication. 

It might be helpful to tell us what you have on hand if anything?

I would keep the water comfortable, VERY clean (replacing only the salt that would have been lost in a water change, I do water changes every other day when fish are in QT, more frequently when necessary), keep the lights off and the stress low. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2022 at 6:00 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Personally, if @Odd Duckgives advice to medicate I'd follow it to a T, however if I were in your shoes right now, I would salt the tank and observe the fish. ANY signs of stress, further illness or injury- or the raised scales start looking fuzzy, red or more join them, I would start using medication. 

I would keep the water comfortable, VERY clean (replacing only the salt that would have been lost in a water change, I do water changes every other day when fish are in QT, more frequently when necessary), keep the lights off and the stress low. 

Indian almond leaves help too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

On  hand I have fish flex (Cephlexin ) , and amoxicillin. 

On 12/21/2022 at 3:18 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Indian almond leaves help too!

yes, I have already added almond leaves. thanks

• Like 2

Oh man, this was rough to read. Lost for 7 days!? Poor little fishie. I'd definitely start with following @xXInkedPhoenixX advice on getting him into aquarium salt and observing. If it starts to look fuzzy or puffy like cotton, then I'd look into medicating. You should start looking for meds you might need now rather than waiting until stores close for the holidays. 

I really hope that is just from stress or an easy injury to fix. It's a stunning fish, and I will be cheering for you guys. Definitely contact whoever you bought this from, at the very least you deserve a refund, though that won't really make up for whatever trauma the fish went through. It's totally unacceptable for a fish to get lost and or stuck in transit for 7 days. Please keep us posted, the community here is fantastic and a wealth of knowledge. 

• Thanks 2

No, they have not, it is  four days before Christmas. Thank you, that is encouraging! I am happy as long as it is something I can treat. I have put salt in his tank and will do water change tomorrow and every other day after that. How long should I wait to see improvement?

Edited by Goldfishgirl

On 12/22/2022 at 4:43 AM, Goldfishgirl said:

No, they have not, it is  four days before Christmas. Thank you, that is encouraging! I am happy as long as it is something I can treat. I have put salt in his tank and will do water change tomorrow and every other day after that. How long should I wait to see improvement?

Alongside the salt if he's eating I would recommend doing a course of maracyn2 in food active ingredient minocycline has anti-inflammatory properties 

IMG_20220714_201455.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ok, everyone the breeder just got back to me. They said"  because this betta has dragon scale gens and sometimes they grow a white scale in a few weeks it should go of no problem" I am not sure if they meant fall off? I will continue with the salt and clean water. Lazarus lives! That is what my husband insisted we name him if he showed up alive. I tracked him daily, after 4 days Chris was convinced we would have another dead fish. I will keep you updated. Thank you so much for all your help! 

• Like 1

Seven days?!?  Wow!  Incredible that’s he’s alive at all!

You’ve gotten some very solid advice already and are going down the right track.  @xXInkedPhoenixXhas pulled off some amazing fishy saves with some seriously dedicated treatment and offers very solid advice along with other’s good advice.

I am very concerned this could be a tumor, but it is absolutely true that dragon/alien genes will make them grow thicker scales that can look very strange when it’s only a small group of scales.  There could also be some injury in the same spot making it even thicker.

Koi bettas are known for a couple things - first, they are notorious for changing color.  I’ve seen fish that turned from mostly white to nearly all blue. Some have turned much more red than they started, but blue seems to be the color most likely to take over.  This color changing effect also makes them prone to tumors since the color producing cells continue to grow as the fish matures.  Add in dragon scale, which causes thickening of the scales which also tends to gradually spread, and it appears to further increase the risk of tumors.  The dragon scale doesn’t go away, it tends to slowly spread, but it’s benign unless it starts to affect the scales around the eyes. It can partially, or sometimes completely, close over the eye(s).  

I don’t want to make you worry excessively, because this could be completely “normal” dragon scales developing that don’t turn into anything the least bit troubling.  At this point, I would do the salt, IAL’s, and water changes just like you’ve already started.  Then wait and see if any fuzziness starts or any redness develops around the edges.  If even the slightest hint starts, use the Maracyn-2 (Minocycline) exactly like @Coluhas recommended.

If it is a tumor, it could potentially be removed by a vet that treats fish.  But it’s likely he will be prone to tumors his whole life if it does turn out to be a tumor.

Edited by Odd Duck
Add more info
  • Thanks 2

Oh dear, I know all about color changes ( Goldfish are my jam) I have no problem with that. The tumor  possibility is concerning. I will follow the advice given. Yes ,I have started the salt treatment, almond leaves and every other day water treatment.  I will keep a close eye on him. I should have done some research before buying. I know better, but I fell in love. 🤦‍♀️. Thank you so much for the help!

• Like 2