Tall Anubias - Any way to train or change the growth?

I've got a great big beautiful anubias that has been in the tank for several years but now is growing to tall for my 75 gallon tank.  The rhizome of the plant has tripled or more in size since getting it, now 6 inches, with lots of large healthy leaves. Stems are growing more then 24 inches long and pushing against the lid of the tank and the leaves are very large, size of a large man's hand, and so they block a lot of light. If I didn't have a lid on the tank the newest leaves would be close to 6 inches above the water line and the length of the stem, leaf to the rhizome, would be close to 30 inches.   I can't go with a open top so I'm thinking I either get rid of the the plant or I try chopping it back and see what happens.  Before I did either I thought I'd see if the community has any suggestions?

Thank you!

Could be an Anubias gracilis?

anubias-gracilis-4f7a026b59e1d.jpg
WWW.FLOWGROW.DE

Anubias gracilis is one of the larger representatives of the genus Anubias. In nature it grows on the banks of jungle rivers in West Africa. This species is not often found in trade. This species has characteristically...

I ordered from the coop.  Didn't do a good job of keeping track of what is what and didn't want the evidence of how much I've spent through the years just laying around but a I think it is Anubias Hastifolia if I'm looking at the correct order confirmation.

here is an attempted photo of the rhizome.  I can see there are some smaller nodes(?) with leaves coming off with new leaves.

PXL_20201101_234908452.jpg

That looks like one happy plant!

Im not necessarily recommending this because I’ve never done it myself, but bonsai growers will often pluck all of a bonsai’s leaves off a few months before a show. The new leaves are usually smaller and more numerous than the leaves that were there before. If you’re thinking of getting rid of the plant anyway, it may be something to try. But it also might kill the thing so... 😬 I don’t think it would kill it, but obviously I don’t know for sure. Just something I thought I’d throw out there!

• Like 1

I would first try to separate the anubias from the wood and reposition it, maybe attaching to the side of the tank near the bottom, with the stems diagonal or even parallel to the substrate (and "pressed" to the glass), so it takes much less space. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So six month update.  I went ahead and did some hacking.  The longest of the two rhizomes I cut into three equal sized pieces.  Two of the pieces had leaves which I trimmed down to one or two of the newest and best looking leaves.  One piece was so well rooted that I left where it was with no leaves.  Well they all survived and have beautiful new growth which is much neater and a more manageable size.  So don't be scared.  Go ahead and whack your anubias, I now have 3 enjoyable plants instead of one monster.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1