Tiger Barbs

kcochran

On 11/11/2022 at 7:48 AM, AquaHobbyist123 said:

Good For You! I hope to keep this fish someday myself in a species-only setup. They certainly do look nice.

Thank you. I am really pleased with how they look.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Barbs get a bad rep but they are quite a fun fish in any tank. Their colors really pop against planted backgrounds!

They are full of energy and always exploring! The orange really shows up well against the greenery.

On 11/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, Patrick_G said:

They look great! They’re one of those freshwater fish that really pop, even from across the room. Good choice have Cherry barbs as tank mates, that’s a great combo. 

Thank you! I agree, they definitely get a lot of attention from people that aren't in the hobby. I like the cherry barbs, but I'm not having a lot of luck with them.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 5:01 AM, kcochran said:

I am loving these Tiger Barbs! I haven't kept any since around 1993 and I don't remember them being this vibrant. Currently my favorite fish I have right now. They have quite the personality!

A barb pond is literally one of the things I wish I could share with people.  They are the worlds most fun fish at times.  They are really nice, I'm so glad you're enjoying them!

Mix up some varieties or check out newer versions to see which one you like!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/11/2022 at 6:53 PM, PineSong said:

I’m jealous! I would love to have some one day. I like the green ones as well.

They all seem like they have big personalities.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:11 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

A barb pond is literally one of the things I wish I could share with people.  They are the worlds most fun fish at times.  They are really nice, I'm so glad you're enjoying them!

Mix up some varieties or check out newer versions to see which one you like!

Thank you. They really are. I wish more people enjoyed them.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2023 at 8:42 PM, Sweet Fish O Mine said:

Do Tiger barbs constantly chase/bicker and nip each other? This was my concern about getting them, because watching that would not be relaxing.

I haven't kept them before but as far as I know, the larger the tank, the bigger the group size the less aggressive behavior and potential dmg there will be. They do worse and tend to become more agressive in smaller groups and small tanks. Works similar to cichlids I believe?

They definitely look great. That is for sure

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 12:42 PM, Sweet Fish O Mine said:

Do Tiger barbs constantly chase/bicker and nip each other? This was my concern about getting them, because watching that would not be relaxing.

In my experience there’s always a bit of squabbling, but not excessive fin nipping or anything stressful/concerning to watch. 

• Like 1