Beginner tip I wish I knew - The "catch all" bin

nabokovfan87

Hey everyone,

I had mentioned elsewhere that I got this for myself a bit ago as something I wanted to have a central location for some tools I used on my aquarium.  It's been about a month now and let's just say I've gotten myself a lot more accustomed to having a place for things and things in their place.

I wanted to show this off, poll the group, and hopefully this thread can help out a new hobbyist and provide a good gift idea if you know someone who is a hobbyist and might need something like this!  I know in his recent video Pecktec had mentioned how when he does a new aquarium setup for someone he includes a care package and I blame him for the inspiration for the following question!

You're setting up a new tank for someone and you are filling out a cup of items for them to use with the aquarium, what do you include in yours and what would you want to provide for an aquarist starting out in the hobby?

image.png.bdc0b12152fee2e8cb0e2ab7f7943565.png

In mine:
Note: This was put in place so I wasn't using a specimen container for this task!
-Aquascaping tools
-Pipette
-Turkey Baster (think of it for food / small siphon)
-Actual Scissors (so I don't use plant ones)
-Some kind of superglue for plants is always right there
-Measure / shot glass (great for meds but also defrosting frozen food)
-Clip/clamp for hoses that isn't going to be scary strong to use
-toothbrush
-some kind of paintbrush
-1/8 tsp measuring spoon (1/4 works well too) for dosing buffers or meds
-measuring scoops with long handles
-Cup is made of stainless steel (or ceramic would work) as to minimize issues with water if it does get wet
-scraper / blade holder (mine is not in the cup, but usually next to it

My recommendation:
-Scissors
-Brush
-Toothbrush
-Clip
-Plant Scissors
-Plant Tweezers (straight)
-Plant Tweezers (L-Shape)
-Pipette for meds
-Measuring Spoon for meds (I keep a 1/2 cup measuring cup in the stand as well)
-Flashlight (near this, potentially in the cup)
-Superglue (near or potentially in the cup)
-Bonus Awesome item: Wet erase marker for writing on the tank

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

You already have a great list, I might also include:

magnetic glass cleaner

coral feeder (longer baster handy for keepers that have taller tanks)

Instant read thermometer

Clear small pill cases/jars (for extra meds and you don't need to use the whole packet, or medicated foods you can keep in the freezer/fridge, or I actually use them to catch tiny fry- they've never not had a great use and they're cheap)

Oh, also a shrimp net- great for fish like Cory and Otos that have barbels (less likely to get caught) but also easy to catch floating debris in!

• Like 1

Irrigation syringe - great for getting all the water you need for your water test tube in one go (vs. the pipette which takes 3 draws)

Cop notebook - for writing down parameter readings and misc notes about what you added, what you did, who you adopted, current headcount, etc.

Pen

Big binder clip w/ rubber band around the handles - Used for keeping a larger diameter tube in the tank while doing maint.

I love condiment cups - the kind you get salad dressing or sauce in when you get a to-go order.  I put food in them, esp. vegetables, or repashy cubes that I'm thawing out.  Or perhaps wondershell that I've cut into chunks, or pellets I've crushed.

Scotch tape - tape along side of tank and draw horizontal lines w/ a sharpie for water change levels, etc.

Masking tape - tear a piece off and write the date on it to label a condiment cup of perishable fish food.  Works great on tupperware for the human food too!

Plant weights - so many uses. Hold a nano air pump on a rim of a tank (your idea @nabokovfan87), wrap around a veggie to sink it, attach an anubias or java fern to decor without having to use glue.  Make water column stem plants look like plants that grow from substrate.

Terra cotta pots - cheap caves.  Hammer out the bottom and they become tunnels.

Terra cotta plates (what normally goes under the pots) - good for feeding dishes for bottom feeders like cories, snails, shrimp, plecos

Command hooks - use to hang nets or aquascaping scissors.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

It won't fit in your cup, but I like having an assortment of different sizes of measuring cups handy.  You'll use them more than you think, even if you don't use them to measure anything.  I use my small one for dipping water when I'm catching fish or shrimp.  I use a larger one to set the bag of water in when I'm catching shrimp to sell (I like to put them straight into the bag instead of into a container and then pouring the container of water into the bag because shrimp will frequently get left behind when you do that).

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, JettsPapa said:

It won't fit in your cup, but I like having an assortment of different sizes of measuring cups handy.  You'll use them more than you think, even if you don't use them to measure anything.  I use my small one for dipping water when I'm catching fish or shrimp.  I use a larger one to set the bag of water in when I'm catching shrimp to sell (I like to put them straight into the bag instead of into a container and then pouring the container of water into the bag because shrimp will frequently get left behind when you do that).

That's happened to me before with fish.  They swim against the current when you're trying to dump them into the bag. One time I didn't realize til I heard a little flopping sound from the container beside me.  (He was only out of water for like 30 secs though; he was ok)

On 11/1/2022 at 5:13 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Actual Scissors (so I don't use plant ones)

good for cutting sponge or floss!

• Like 2

A cup would be a great idea! I've got all my stuff in a box in a drawer in my stand, which is conveniently located but less portable. In addition to some of the fine ideas already suggested:

- a long, fine-toothed comb for scooping duckweed

- a long-handled spoon for adjusting the substrate

- a very long chopstick for nudging/moving things on the bottom without sticking my hand in the water. (Every so often a snail gets tipped over and needs a little help!)

- small forceps (I mostly use them to relocate floaters I want to keep while duckweeding)

- a plastic razor blade for scraping glass without scratching (also less chance of injury, safer for kids)

- a large assortment of deli containers, butter tubs, and peanut butter jars

- a "fish use only" towel in easy reach to dry hands, wooden tank stands, and glass

I've already learned a few things reading this thread, and I'm excited to hear more ideas!

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 6:26 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Oh, also a shrimp net- great for fish like Cory and Otos that have barbels (less likely to get caught) but also easy to catch floating debris in!

I dig this one! I have a randomly awesome net that I use.  Seachem just released a new line of nets that come in a variety of sizes with pretty fine mesh too.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:49 PM, drewzero1 said:

- a very long chopstick for nudging/moving things on the bottom without sticking my hand in the water. (Every so often a snail gets tipped over and needs a little help!)

oh yes! If you don't have a gravel spade (aquascaping tool) then that's a critical one for anyone with sand in the tank.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:01 AM, JettsPapa said:

By the way, I don't store my stuff in a cup.  I have a shallow cookie sheet lying on my desk beside one of the tanks.  It works great.  I don't have to worry about putting wet stuff on it.

Oxo sells them, but I highly recommend silicone drying mats. They come in any color and a variety of sizes. Loving having mine around.

• 4 months later...