Heeeeeelp myyy fiiisshhies

Jay

I have 4 guppies, 3 african dwarf frogs, 2 cherry shrimp, and 1 dwarf pleco. They all seem to get along fine but I have problems only with my guppies ammonia is unknown I need to test soon nitrates 20 ppm nitrites medium, and ph 7.8 sorry this is the best picture I have because the power is out on my fish tanks side of the house

16037584128805343957415767424795.jpg

the ammonia being an unknown may be a factor. If you can get an API test kit, have a local store test your water, or grab Tetra test strips to get a better picture of your water quality. 

ammonia in a tiny amount will keep your fish sick. A lot will poison them. 

I agree with everyone on here. Knowing your water is the first step. 

Yep I agree with AtomCatMatt. If you have a seasoned tank, the good bacteria in your gravel/filter will get rid of the ammonia for you. Otherwise the best way to get rid of Ammonia is to do water changes. 20% a week may be fine once your tank is a bit older but it might not be quite enough at this point. But without testing the water we’re all guessing! If you can take your water to your local fish store or buy an ammonia test kit, then we can know for sure.

one thought—how long has the power been out? And did the fin rot start before or after that? The lack of light may have killed some of your good algae and that algae rotting could cause an ammonia spike.

And don’t worry, if the ammonia is fine we will have other ideas about how to help!

The fin rot started 2 weeks after I got the fish and ones fin was already all gone overnight and it died afterward from bloating now two have died now I have 4 guppies left so it has been going for a while now and the power has been out since yesterday at 10 o clock

Edited by Jay

The fin rot started 2 weeks after I got the fish and ones fin was already all gone overnight and it died afterward from bloating now two have died now I have 4 guppies left so it has been going for a while now and the power has been out since yesterday at 10 o clock

It doesn’t sound like the fun rot has anything to do with the power being out. So that’s good!

I agree about the plants helping to keep your water clean. Plus the fish just like them. 🙂

If the fin rot still won’t go away, I would recommend treating with a medicine. Aquarium co-op recommends API’s E. M. Erythromycin.

if you haven’t already seen it, here’s their article about treating fin rot: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/fin-rot