Using tumbled rocks from a childhood rock collection?

Intrinsicat

I have a pretty decent sized rock collection from tumbling rocks smooth with my dad as a kid... id love to use them interspersed with gravel - but with the muriatic acid test work on tumbled rocks? I don’t have the betta for this tank yet - just starting it up so I have time to do ph testing as well. Any suggestions or should I just shelve the rock collection again? 

313ECBAC-FC24-4D97-8D7F-8D2EBF162211.jpeg

Thanks again! Great to hear. Yeah no limestone in the collection - a few fossils but those never went through the tumbler so I wouldn’t use anyway - just smooth stones for the betta fins. I’ll still let them all sit in a fishless tank for a while and see how ph goes

Edited by Intrinsicat
Misspelling

I wondered about this too.  We have a tumbler that we haven't used yet, so I'm not super familiar with the process.  But I thought there was a "polishing" step at the end.  The more I read, the more it appears that polishing is just a final tumble with a very fine grit.   One thing I would check is to make sure that there is not a chemical polish or lacquer, but even then it appears that washing in hot water might take care of that. 

Hmmm, a new rabbit hole to delve!

• Administrators

For the most part, I've never run into a rock that was actually a problem. I'm sure it could happen, but over all the customers and myself over many years. I've never seen it happen personally. I'm sure someone out there has a bad experience. But seems to be pretty infrequent. 

Yes it’s just a final smoothing cycle as I recall. There is no lacquer on the rocks. Thanks for all the helpful answers. I’m feeling pretty good about them, but there are a lot so I might just pour an inch of vinegar from the giant jug in the garage and see if any bubble... 

In case anyone wants to play a game - here is the rest of ‘em, ignoring all the ordinary quartz and river rock. If there are any rock aficionados who want to tell me “Not THAT ONE!” 😄 I’ll likely not put all of them over the substrate but definitely the unique ones. Thanks everyone!

26D5C8B1-6583-4E70-9DB3-DCF4963EFD63.jpeg.f5a463e1ba53c0d5d403fece13b8cb8f.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 11:30 AM, Intrinsicat said:

I have a pretty decent sized rock collection from tumbling rocks smooth with my dad as a kid... id love to use them interspersed with gravel - but with the muriatic acid test work on tumbled rocks? I don’t have the betta for this tank yet - just starting it up so I have time to do ph testing as well. Any suggestions or should I just shelve the rock collection again? 

313ECBAC-FC24-4D97-8D7F-8D2EBF162211.jpeg

Those are very cool. You should post some pics after you set the tank up id love to see how it turns out

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Intrinsicat said:

Yes it’s just a final smoothing cycle as I recall. There is no lacquer on the rocks. Thanks for all the helpful answers. I’m feeling pretty good about them, but there are a lot so I might just pour an inch of vinegar from the giant jug in the garage and see if any bubble... 

In case anyone wants to play a game - here is the rest of ‘em, ignoring all the ordinary quartz and river rock. If there are any rock aficionados who want to tell me “Not THAT ONE!” 😄 I’ll likely not put all of them over the substrate but definitely the unique ones. Thanks everyone!

26D5C8B1-6583-4E70-9DB3-DCF4963EFD63.jpeg.f5a463e1ba53c0d5d403fece13b8cb8f.jpeg

Edited by Maria
sorry, this was supposed to go with the above post! haven't quite figured it all out yet...

• 1 month later...