Good morning fellow nerms. Welcome to the Halloween edition of coffee with TeeJay šŸŽƒ.

Watching the shrimpy' friends waking up for the day. Having some early Halloween candy. Shhh don't tell my girls. šŸ¤”šŸ¤«

I noticed not 1 not 2 but 3 berried females this morning šŸŽ‰šŸ¤— fanning there eggs very well having a snack this morning ..and no I didn't give them candy šŸ˜†

IMG_20221029_171349698.jpg

IMG_20221030_074940056.jpg

IMG_20221030_075544880.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/30/2022 at 1:09 PM, TeeJay said:

Good morning fellow nerms. Welcome to the Halloween edition of coffee with TeeJay šŸŽƒ.

Watching the shrimpy' friends waking up for the day. Having some early Halloween candy. Shhh don't tell my girls. šŸ¤”šŸ¤«

I noticed not 1 not 2 but 3 berried females this morning šŸŽ‰šŸ¤— fanning there eggs very well having a snack this morning ..and no I didn't give them candy šŸ˜†

IMG_20221029_171349698.jpg

IMG_20221030_074940056.jpg

IMG_20221030_075544880.jpg

Nice !!šŸ‘»šŸ‘»šŸ‘»Ā 
Have you been doing any šŸŽƒ carving?

Well water change is done for the week in the killi adventure tank. Surprisingly I didn't have to thin out much duckweed this week. The new emersed plants seem to be doing ok so far. There roots were massive so they should be able to convert quickly. Grindal worms were on the menu today. All were pretty much eatin before they hit the tank floorĀ 

IMG_20221030_162855275.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good morning fellow nerms. Let's have some coffee with TeeJay shall we? I made a video a few days ago with all the activity in the morning when the lights come on.. We had said it could be just nature's way if getting started and going for the day. As well @Guppysnailsaid there could also be a female that has just recently molted and was sending out her sent to signal the boys that it's mating time. So over the past few days I have been watching them to see if I notice the same activityĀ 

with each one of those mornings after that video I have noticed near as much activity. A bit but not like it was that specific day. I think maybe it was a girl just molted and sent out the signal. But who is to be for sure. Just an observation over the past few days. As always keep it fishy my friends!

IMG_20221102_072914567.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Went to check on the corys today and June left us a suprise!. I'm very nervous about this clutch since the first time around I tried and I didn't have any survivors just a few days after they hatched.Ā 

I'm pretty sure I just didn't have enough calcium in the 2.5 gallon I had them in to start with. Since I put a small media bag in there with some crushed coral and ghost fed the tank a shrimp pellet once every 3 days or so.Ā 

It didn't even dawn on me the first time that hey there is no kh in the tank to help the snails shells develop. I still have plenty of nano blocks for feeding to try and help make sure that they have enough to help grow strong. We shall see. Only time can tell.Ā 

As well on a side note I have never really realized how much guppy grass can soak up nitrates in your water. I had never had it in a tank until I added it to my least killi tank. I have never had horrible high nitrates but always stayed around 40. Now that I have had the guppy grass for awhile it stays around 10. So to help keep a better nitrate balance in the Cory tank I have added some guppy grass to help keep it at a level I like better. So if you don't mind a crazy fast growing plant and need to help keep your nitrates at a better level get yourself some guppy grass.

IMG_20221105_154657593.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Evening check in on the killi tank. I decided since I had 11 Cory's in the Cory adventure tank I moved over 2 of them to the killi tank to make it a crew of 8 in there. I kept them close to the same size as I could. I'm pretty sure my killi numbers are growing because when I feed I always seem more together at once time. šŸ¤—

I made a short video to try and catch some of them. A couple here and and there. I did catch lemony and mcqueen in the video. And a couple of Cory's.

https://youtu.be/aMTRSRAOJNc

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 4:57 PM, TeeJay said:

Went to check on the corys today and June left us a suprise!. I'm very nervous about this clutch since the first time around I tried and I didn't have any survivors just a few days after they hatched.Ā 

I'm pretty sure I just didn't have enough calcium in the 2.5 gallon I had them in to start with. Since I put a small media bag in there with some crushed coral and ghost fed the tank a shrimp pellet once every 3 days or so.Ā 

It didn't even dawn on me the first time that hey there is no kh in the tank to help the snails shells develop. I still have plenty of nano blocks for feeding to try and help make sure that they have enough to help grow strong. We shall see. Only time can tell.Ā 

As well on a side note I have never really realized how much guppy grass can soak up nitrates in your water. I had never had it in a tank until I added it to my least killi tank. I have never had horrible high nitrates but always stayed around 40. Now that I have had the guppy grass for awhile it stays around 10. So to help keep a better nitrate balance in the Cory tank I have added some guppy grass to help keep it at a level I like better. So if you don't mind a crazy fast growing plant and need to help keep your nitrates at a better level get yourself some guppy grass.

IMG_20221105_154657593.jpg

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll do great @TeeJay. You got this!

On 10/23/2022 at 6:54 PM, TeeJay said:

Think I'm going to play around with the temps in the Cory tank over the next month or so. Right now I have it set for 77. I'm thinking of slowly taking it down to 74-75. Since is only the corys and snails in the tank they will be in good shape. And since I'll be cranking up the heat in my apt sooner than later I'm sure the heater will get very minimal use for the upcoming time of year. See I can stimulate more activity.

I finally managed to breed mine at 21CĀ°, a fellow fish colleague mentioned to me at the local aquarium society that the eggs are less fertile at higher temperatures. Sadly the eggs got nommed by my BN pleco babies; but there's still hope! Bit of an old picture of the ones I got at my LFS:

Cory.JPG

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
French Keyboard Auto-Correct!
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

I just read through this whole thread to get caught up. @TeeJay your corys are so cute! I'm excited to keep seeing updates about the progress of this tank šŸ˜ I had been planning on getting a group of paleatus corys for my new 20 long but then I realized the temp I'm going to keep that tank at might not be ideal for them. Now I'm probably going to be setting up a cory-only 10 gallon eventually. I was thinking pygmy corys but seeing that you have these happy paleatus in a 10 gallon has put them back on my radar!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 10:09 AM, dangerflower said:

I just read through this whole thread to get caught up. @TeeJay your corys are so cute! I'm excited to keep seeing updates about the progress of this tank šŸ˜ I had been planning on getting a group of paleatus corys for my new 20 long but then I realized the temp I'm going to keep that tank at might not be ideal for them. Now I'm probably going to be setting up a cory-only 10 gallon eventually. I was thinking pygmy corys but seeing that you have these happy paleatus in a 10 gallon has put them back on my radar!

Yes I did have 11 in there but I am moving a few over to my 29 gal tank. I think in a 10 gal a group of 8 is just the right size. But if you keep good water quality you can always have moreĀ 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, Minanora said:

Looks like you're on your way to having a population explosion. Congratulations! Be prepared to up your feeding if you want to keep the momentum. I'm loving all those plants. Tank is looking amazing. Your shrimp are super happy as well.

Yes they get fed a pretty varied diet. Shrimpy sticks mini alge wafers. Another shrimp food that expands in the water. Bacter ae a couple times a week and repashy here and there. Thanks I love the jungle style look in the tank. In all of my tanks really I'm a plant junkie.Ā 

• Like 1

So while I was checking on and feeding my grindal worms cultures I dropped a bit of repashy into the shrimp tank to see if I could get a bit of a group feeding. Well I got my wish!. 5 mins after it went into the tank we had a dogpile of shrimp and snails on the food. You never really realize how many ramshorns you have until you put a food in the tank that they really go bonkers for lolĀ 

IMG_20221109_174257027.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Stopped by my local reptile store on the way home from work today and picked up this little beauty of mopani wood. It will be going into the killi tank over the weekend.

P.s. the new special suprise will be here tomorrow. It's going to be an exciting evening! Make sure you don't miss it!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_20221110_164441660.jpg

IMG_20221110_164445551.jpg

• Love 2

Morning fellow nerms. A late morning edition of coffee with TeeJay. This post was suppost to happen last night. But of course USPS dropped the ball and didn't get my delivery to me on time. Even after the ridiculous price that was paid for shipping. So I had them hold the package at my post office and I walked and picked it up this morning. That way I had it at least 6-8 hours before my regular mail guy delivers.

But anyways back to the subject. We have a new friend in the killi tank.Ā  Her name is Luna and she is a short fin lemon pleco from none other than @Guppysnail. I will let her give ya u the complete back story on her.Ā 

But ever since I got lemony the itch to breed them has been there lol. So they are pretty close in age so we thought they would work well together.Ā 

My plan is to setup a 20 gal long in the not so far future to have as a grow out tank for pleco babies.Ā 

That's why I got more mopani wood to add to the tank as well as a new pleco cave so they each have there own space as they mature.Ā 

Could hardly sleep last night worry that she would be ok taking another half day longer to get her than expected.

But when I took her bag out of the box she was swimming around nicely. The water temp in the bag was still in the 60s so whew. She is hiding right now. Tank lights don't come on til about 1 so she has a little bit to get used to her new tank. Tonight we will have a green bean fest to welcome her properly.

https://youtube.com/shorts/mv7gcJ0wYSY?feature=share

IMG_20221112_101225238.jpg

IMG_20221112_101221919.jpg

IMG_20221112_100721555.jpg

IMG_20221112_100647861.jpg

• Love 1

Luna is special. The batch after Lemony I took mom n dads eggs. Luna must have stuck to dads tail. About a week or so later I seen this one tiny yolk sack with eyes, mouth and tail on the glass. I knew I would never find her again and she would not find food easily so I netted her and put her in with Lemony.Ā 
I did not see her for quite a few weeks so I thought she did not make the transition. Once Lemony and the other big ones went to new homes that night sure enough there was Luna on the green bean. šŸ„°

Here are some photos until she is comfortable enough in her new home to pose for photo ops.Ā 
Ā 

29F2FE89-3041-4EDF-BD6E-D083888D0736.jpeg

6281F23A-646B-4DA6-8555-CFE7A6792538.jpeg

F6132A42-BDB6-4E8F-81FB-CCCB29065215.jpeg

87EA1FD1-9C6E-4820-8947-5222D3853FC0.jpeg

711C3012-2FBE-46D6-B179-F80947A29798.jpeg

388EE826-4C05-4A5C-BCDA-2FC468FAB26A.jpeg

226FE808-784F-4713-8C16-61E00CC97C4A.jpeg

27B44811-25BA-4399-9E50-E509BCB294E4.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 2

On 11/12/2022 at 11:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

Luna is special. The batch after Lemony I took mom n dads eggs. Luna must have stuck to dads tail. About a week or so later I seen this one tiny yolk sack with eyes, mouth and tail on the glass. I knew I would never find her again and she would not find food easily so I netted her and put her in with Lemony.Ā 
I did not see her for quite a few weeks so I thought she did not make the transition. Once Lemony and the other big ones went to new homes that night sure enough there was Luna on the green bean. šŸ„°

Here are some photos until she is comfortable enough in her new home to pose for photo ops.Ā 
Ā 

29F2FE89-3041-4EDF-BD6E-D083888D0736.jpeg

6281F23A-646B-4DA6-8555-CFE7A6792538.jpeg

F6132A42-BDB6-4E8F-81FB-CCCB29065215.jpeg

87EA1FD1-9C6E-4820-8947-5222D3853FC0.jpeg

711C3012-2FBE-46D6-B179-F80947A29798.jpeg

388EE826-4C05-4A5C-BCDA-2FC468FAB26A.jpeg

226FE808-784F-4713-8C16-61E00CC97C4A.jpeg

27B44811-25BA-4399-9E50-E509BCB294E4.jpeg

Will be home soon from grocery and boot shopping to check on her.

• Like 1