Should I cut/remove dead leaves from my tank?

Hello Everyone. I got given some Java Fern from my friend around 2 or 3 months ago and it has sprouted some new healthy, green leaves. My question is, should I cut the dead leaves that have holes in them and remove them from the tank or should I keep them in there for some reason? Thanks in advance

• Like 2

I say nay... dead leaves are en excellent substrate for microorganisms to colonize. They are also more accessible to your fish (versus when they are in the gravel). Besides, when it comes to Java fern, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad leaf. I've had leaves that were black and dead sprout baby ferns from old spore patches.

• Like 1

You got 4 responses to trim them. 1 said not too. I said trim. I would remove them I was just giving you the option to “mulch” the tank if you felt you need to. If your house plants leaves had holes and looked bad and had issues would trim.  I say trim and remove. One said that you can grow new ferns with the cuts in a cup and one leave them. 
Overwhelming it’s to trim an d remove.

• Like 1

specifically java ferns, a totally dead brown leaf, i will remove. a leaf with small holes or brown spots, i leave, as these tend to be prime leaves for growing baby java ferns. most other plants, its good advice to remove damaged/dead leaves.

• Like 2

If I think there is a problem, I will trim all but the best looking damaged leaf.  My theory being that the plant will continue to consume that leaf first while new leaves are forming.  If the leaf continues to decline, I haven't fixed the problem.

• Like 1