Get an aquarium, they said

darkG

On 12/20/2021 at 1:30 PM, darkG said:

What's your experience? 

Mine climbs fairly often, but doesn't usually get more than 6 inches up on the glass. When I had it in my 20 long it made it to the top once or twice. My nerites definitely eat off of the glass more often/effectively, but I haven't added any to this tank yet. The herc is usually found digging in the substrate,  climbing on driftwood, or hiding in the teacup.

IMG_20210825_210031__01__01.jpg.3335b381c5da81a9bcefe726dadee423.jpg

IMG_20210909_175130.jpg.580bd4a9b31b709d11a40e27d530ed3a.jpg

IMG_20211212_202756__01__01.jpg.cb27b24d4df41efe3295001aa764edb2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And the small kitchen tank:148301860_IMG_20220107_0134301.jpg.a432b86094b438e2d53bcc3ecce0e9ed.jpg

Light is different left to right, but not as pronounced as in the picture.

I added a twig that I stumbled upon, seen mid; shrimps as usual got very excited for some time. They'll always scramble to investigate new items. Taiwan moss clump is looking fine!

Edited by darkG
  • Love 1

So I received the long awaited Nymphaea stallata bulbs. Quite smelly, but two out of five actually alive. After a few days under observation, they're now in the tanks. Two bulbs I just threw away. One is still being evaluated...

The light ramp up/down apparatus is installed and functional in the small tank. Next one will have its own timer (if I persevere).

The last "Hercules" snails may be dead. The guy supposed to provide some more went under the radar.

@darkG; Yeah, the US Customs Service is broken. First, they'll hold a shipment of plants, birds, or animals to check with the Committee on International Trade of Exotic Species to see if that plant, bird, or animal is on the list of endangered species. Then they check with the Country where the plant, bird, or animal is from to find out they are a problem in their native habitat, and yeah, it takes time. To give you an idea why it's necessary, The Bronx Zoo imported two Asian Chestnuts trees for display, Asian Chestnut trees carried the Chestnut Blight with them while at the same time they're immune to the blight, American Chestnut trees weren't. A lot of American Chestnut trees died from the blight, and now there are very few American Chestnut trees remaining. I could mention other plants, birds, and animals, but I think you now understand the why the US Customs Service is so slow.

It's easy to see that you've put a lot of hard work into your tank, and it looks fantastic. Keep up the good work and please don't be too hard on the US Customs Service, they're looking out for us.

Edited by Gator
  • Thanks 1

I see, and agree. However this package didn't come from, thru or to the US ☺️. I think it wasn't properly labeled as containing living plants.

It's just shipping generally. 

Edited by darkG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Homecooked filtration/circulation in the 55 gallon is failing. Unfortunately, fixing it means a lot of mess, kind of rebuilding the tank. I'm not ready 😞

I made a pretty good* external filter thing like this. The bottle is filled with light AquaClay-style medium. Water pushed up through. Small Eheim pump hangs near the bottom in the tank (I mean not in the hidden volume).

(I haven't had issues with shrimps or smell or unusual algea growth or anything like that, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.)

* I'd imagine

IMG_20220217_131012.jpg.a899cbec0c95a8ec46acaeabee8e693e.jpg

Edited by darkG

I manage my two aquariums simlilarly. But a lot of circumstances are different. So plants develop differently.

One striking difference is how my newest members, the aquarium dwarf lilies, develop. In the small tank it is pretty small, maybe 3 inches side to side, while in the 55 gallon a single leaf is like 4 inches. Though that bulb was actually much larger. I can't  seem to manage good photos.

Another thing that differ is the hornwort. Lately, I notice that one is a bit sparse, but long-leafed, while the other is much more compact:

IMG_20220217_141125.jpg.82644fccfdcdb2ddb72d39b6e5e6d551.jpg

IMG_20220217_141210.jpg.9620922a1a56ac4e2d8d5390d491eac1.jpg

On 1/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, Gator said:

@darkG; Yeah, the US Customs Service is broken. First, they'll hold a shipment of plants, birds, or animals to check with the Committee on International Trade of Exotic Species to see if that plant, bird, or animal is on the list of endangered species. Then they check with the Country where the plant, bird, or animal is from to find out they are a problem in their native habitat, and yeah, it takes time. To give you an idea why it's necessary, The Bronx Zoo imported two Asian Chestnuts trees for display, Asian Chestnut trees carried the Chestnut Blight with them while at the same time they're immune to the blight, American Chestnut trees weren't. A lot of American Chestnut trees died from the blight, and now there are very few American Chestnut trees remaining. I could mention other plants, birds, and animals, but I think you now understand the why the US Customs Service is so slow.

It's easy to see that you've put a lot of hard work into your tank, and it looks fantastic. Keep up the good work and please don't be too hard on the US Customs Service, they're looking out for us.

My sister tries to explain this to people regularly. 

May I screenshot this and send it to her @Gator? She was NC F&W until she chose to stay home and raise her kids. Now she's a public school life biology liaison. 

On 2/17/2022 at 3:03 PM, darkG said:

Cool, always things to learn!

I do think that calcium may not be the case here. The tap water is rather hard and calciumy if I recall correctly, and no obvious signs on other plants.

Hornwort is both your calcium hog, and also your canary in the coal mine.

I used hornwort to suck up enough calcium for shrimp to be able to have successful sheds (our water is best described as liquid calcium) and I kept some in the shrimp tanks because the color starts to change, and then the stems get sparse, when the calcium levels drop too low.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's a bit overgrown, but I like it a little wild. Extremely low effort, hehe. It is a bit strange; my hornwort was doing fine but not fantastic, not growing too long before the other end began looking tired. Then this madness. I didn't knowingly change anything. Still quite low fertilization. I haven't checked in on chemistry for ages. Nitrates has always been way lower than people tend to find desirable. Epiphytes seem fine but stay small, stem plants and crypts kind of thriving.

The one thing that did change, maybe or maybe not related, is that circulation pumps started acting up so I added the device described above. 

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in bed and heard a noise, I assumed it was my daughter coming home, though she didn't answer my "hello". Well, maybe she had to go to the bathroom urgently, or perhaps it was the neighbors being noisy. A little too loud to be from next door really, and maybe the sound of splashing water, neighbors be crazy? But I really had to go and have a look around. 

My ingenious filter thing had slipped, and maybe 20 gallons of water had squirted onto the floor! Suspicious steaming from the electrical stuff!

Such fun, so inspiring 😃 

I didnt think this would happen, but I should have taken into consideration that it might

Mostly taken care of now, all is well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/10/2022 at 3:31 PM, ndfi78 said:

Well, at least you have a good attitude about it. 😄

Well, once it's over it's nothing to be upset about. Primarily I just want to be a little eccentric or unexpected. 😛 

Sometimes I can actually trick myself into enjoying things that ain't terrific. Sometimes.

On 4/11/2022 at 2:05 PM, drewzero1 said:

Oof! Sorry to hear about your filter, and also your Hercules snails. Mine died a few months ago after getting stuck behind the heater.

One lives. Unfortunately, I can't reach the guy who gave me them (he thought it was all MTS!). Them getting stuck, that must suck. Bad luck.

• Like 3