Get an aquarium, they said

darkG

Actually, I said it.

While I have been looking (shyly?) at the aquarium stuff for a long time, I just recently committed. Never had a tank before.

So yeah, trying this forum for advice, admiration and laughs 🤨

Edited by darkG
  • Like 9

The kick in the butt was the upcoming holidays and no sensible gift ideas for my daughter of eleven. We've been talking in passing about fish and aquariums. So, I looked into it and decided to go for it. (And who can honestly wait for Christmas!)

Anyhow, while I hope she will have ideas and so on, it's pretty much, in effect, my tank and responsibility for now.

I found a used 220 liter (yes, I'm with metric, I'll convert sometimes, not always folks) tank and an affordable fluval external filter.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, darkG said:

The kick in the butt was the upcoming holidays and no sensible gift ideas for my daughter of eleven. We've been talking in passing about fish and aquariums. So, I looked into it and decided to go for it. (And who can honestly wait for Christmas!)

Anyhow, while I hope she will have ideas and so on, it's pretty much, in effect, my tank and responsibility for now.

I found a used 220 liter (yes, I'm with metric, I'll convert sometimes, not always folks) tank and an affordable fluval external filter.

I think this post is awesome.  Not every hobby seems to bring families closer together, but sharing an aquarium & learning together about fish, plants, water chemistry, etc. lends itself to good family time.

In this stressful world today, aquariums are indeed bringing folks closer together, one gallon\liter, at a time.

Welcome to the Forum & fish-keeping...😎

• Like 4

Thanks all for the nice reception, I appreciate it!

I enjoy the technical and diy side of this aquarium business, so I aim to exploit that beyond the strictly neccesary. When it comes to the fish and other life, I am considering various fishes, plants and, likely, snails. I have nice tap water; high alkalinity, a bit hard, pH on the high side, non-chlorinated.

Currently I am awaiting a heater and an air pump. I've (more or less) gotten lights sorted. I had led tubes at hand and managed to 3D-print a simple fixture. I have also begun making a foam background. Lots of fun!

Current (half of) background. Foam polystyrene is glued, cut, hot air gunned and a first coating of a cement based product, not sure what you'd call it. Later coatings will have dark pigments mixed in. I plan not to clear coat it, not 100% sure that is wise

IMG_20201022_151405.jpg

(If or when I write awkwardly it's either because I don't master english or because I enjoy being out there. Likely both. Sometimes Autocorrect is to blame, lol. At any rate, I'll welcome criticism and pointers regarding use and abuse of words and grammar. Thanks!) 

• Like 3

The right part of the background. I didn't cut it much, relying more on hot air (+ the shape the piece already had). This softer foam shrinks away quite willingly. I think I'll sculp it up a bit with cement instead where needed. It still looks a bit too much like the packing material it is... 

IMG_20201024_164739.jpg

Edited by darkG

• 5 weeks later...

Slowly making progress, I think. I have put magnets in the backgrounds for easier replacement or service. I had an idea to try a kind of supplementary bottom filter thing - I'll drop that for now. I finally got the heater and an air pump, currently trying to make sense of filter intake and output arrangement, I have an external filter. And I try to hide the tech, so it's a bit of a hassle honestly. Self inflicted, but still.

Anyway. I am looking at black mollies, guppies, dwarf neon rainbowfish and kuhli-loaches. I try to figure out sensible group sizes (though I am aware that the livebearers will have their own opinions on that). 55 gallons, planted, some snails and possibly cherry shrimps - how many kuhli-loaches and rainbowfish seems reasonable? Starting number of mollies and guppies? I guess the first fishes will be the livebearers, one or the other.

In addition to the rådasand mentioned I got some "ECS nano" substrate, a variety of sintered clay I think. I actually found a similarly looking product in my pre owned Fluval canister filter. Speaking of which I threw out a satchet of activated carbon since I consider it a short time medium and substituted pieces of Scrub Daddy-sponge.

• 1 month later...

Bits and pieces; I printed a structure I found in different scales and broke apart and glued to rock, kind of hide-out and plant- and moss modules. They look pretty natural imo. Also glued my long piece of wood to rocks since it doesn't want to sink. I also printed a shrimp cage, but I reckoned it might become a kuhli loach trap so I repurposed it broken apart to small "moss fasteners". I actually got me some weeping moss, growing on the windowsill for now. Tank is not started...

I scrapped the external filter (afraid of leaks, dissatisfied with noise level) and am instead going for small pumps built into the background. It's a mess, but it's my mess. I have also routed air lines in the background for convenience. Until things start to fall apart, then it will be pretty inconvenient 🙂

IMG_20210104_015538.jpg.4a9f154c007f846f75e7848f88143f6f.jpg

• Like 1

For no good reason I made a bottom similar to the background (styrofoam+cement). Might save me some substrate or whatever and safeguards against rocks falling onto the glass. Likely to complicate planting. I plan to plant sparsely in substrate anyway, we'll see... possibly, if I keep that bottom, it can be used to partition plants or whatever.

I have decided to go with it, aquarium not yet started 🤪

It's 0.5 - 1 mm Rådasand, I think it will be good. I also got some clay (instead of root tabs) and some "sintered clay" style granule substrate (ECS nano it's called) to mix it up a bit. But I feel like mounting or floating or emersing the bulk of the plants. Plants are the hardest to plan, I feel! I want to be flexible in that regard. 

I mentioned that I already got some Weeping Moss. The half of it left in the 1-2-grow cup developed some mold, I am curious to see if I can save it. The drama! 

Edited by darkG

I'm excited to see how this turns out. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Stocking wise the only thing that might be an issue is the Cherry shrimp. Not impossible, if there are lots of places for them to hide, but they might get snacked on here and there. Amano shrimp might be better, as they get bigger, but you lose the fun of finding babies. It's all a learning experience and it is above all things your tank, so do what you feel is best! 

Hope to see more 🙂 

• Like 1

Thank you, yes, I realize the shrimps may be, well, eaten. I kind of knew that but then kind of seemed to forget it after a while 😎. I was just reminded elsewhere. I have been looking for pebbles to make a pile for shrimps to hide in, It's oddly hard to find basic rocks though. I have some incoming, a bit smaller than I first wanted, we'll see.  

While making the foam/cement backdrop I also, just as a distraction, made a few fake rocks. I'm not sure about them either. One turned out kind of like a cave, so that one might be something for the loaches.

I choose to listen to Lucas of LRB aquatics, so I currently believe that neocaridina is the better match for my water. Also they are cheaper.

So this is the end of the beginning, I guess - I threw out the useless bottom, put some blobs of clay on the bottom, then a little ECS*, then a bag of rådasand 0.5-1.0 mm. Mounted seven small Anubias (nana "bonsai") on the wood and on the back, and some wads of weeping moss too. More moss on hold. I also got some stem plants, lemme see, it was several shoots of an orange Rotala rotundifolia. Yay.

* Easy Care Substrate, some light clay-based inert supposedly plant friendly stuff. Sand is not deep, so it won't matter much I think.

I don't like the small smooth rocks.

https://youtu.be/4yq5GC4CMKI (brief sweep)

I love the amount of work and detail that you’ve already put into this tank! Congrats on the planting part.

I’m still learning a lot, but regarding the mosses...I’ve noticed that mine thrives where it’s getting good flow. If it’s tucked in corner or dead spot it is much slower to grow. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the “beginning of the middle” steps of your tank!

Thank you 🙂

I think the best way to learn things like this is by experience, but I don't really live by that wisdom. The weeping moss I want to place not to low for it to, well, weep. It will be interesting to see where it grows the best. I am very much married to the idea of small Anubias + moss on the wood. Flow is interesting indeed, and we'll see how it all works out. Especially slow growing plants not getting totally covered in algae would be nice, lol. The basic idea in the tank is that water is sucked in in the middle and pushed out at the sides. My over-complicated setup didn't work exactly as planned, though to some extent this is what happens. I do have noticeable flow at the lower left, I might try some moss there.   

IMG_20210117_171231_.jpg.00dae174efd6d28475422f0d677bdfda.jpg

I keep some of the moss on the windowsill in shallow water mounted to pieces of plastic (strands simply put through holes), so this "fastener" can be tied to or glued to the hardscape or whatever.

Edited by darkG
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, darkG said:

I am very much married to the idea of small Anubias + moss on the wood.

I love that combination too. This is only a few months along. The small amount of algae on the Anubias wasn’t getting taken care of by my Cherry Shrimp so I got 5 Amanos last week and *poof* All Gone!25EC7D7B-5A38-4770-8B97-487A5E390563.jpeg.e09d2bc5b640011cf2f9b7728bb6517c.jpeg

1 hour ago, darkG said:

I keep some of the moss on the windowsill in shallow water mounted to pieces of plastic (strands simply put through holes), so this "fastener" can be tied to or glued to the hardscape or whatever.

I love this idea! I’ll have to try this next. I’ve learned that I enjoy keeping most plants “modular” so I can rearrange as I like. This would be great to have it on hand, ready to go!

• Like 1