Get an aquarium, they said

darkG

Thank you!

So I have been grumpy about the weeping moss not attaching but not too keen on Java moss. I now think Taiwan moss is worth my attention - I ordered some! And, för good meassure, a couple more epiphytes. 

Some rescaping is imminent. 

Edited by darkG

I was looking around for a small tank, ready to strike if I saw a good deal. This one (15g-ish) came with fish, complicating things!

I got: Four cardinal tetras (who look very healthy to me), a loach (ancistrus maybe, I don't know loaches), a single hatchetfish, a pearl gourami that could look better, four as of yet unknown nice small partly translucent orange-y fish and a single also unknown one that is somewhat similar to the cardinals. It also came with impossible to like decorations and planaria, so there's that. The seller has the same tap water as I, so that's handy. Filter, heater and lights seem to work, and I got a decent sized java fern and a melting sword too. 

The gourami and to some extent other fish seem to obsess a bit with the reflection in the glass. Maybe. For some reason this tank looks to be more reflective than my 55 gallon. I wonder if it's a good idea to put frosted film on the sides. 

The gourami may be a bit stressed / bored too I guess. Seems active and curious and maybe 15 gallon is a bit too small. 

But chances are I won't be keeping these fishes anyway. 

Edited by darkG

I got this confirmed to be a black neon tetra, leaving only the cardinals and the ancistrus (If it is). (Edit: can't find the image, it's elsewhere on the forum, in a tetra-thread) 

Lost an ember tetra to unknown problems last night. Checked temp, ammonia-nitrite-nitrate, increased surface agitation, put more moss in. Unfortunately pH is not great for these fellows, at the same time I don't want to shock them or risk wild swings in acidity. Instead of peat I added some coir, hoping it will offer some relief. It is way less effective. 

I hatched a small amount of brine shrimp. Need a sieve. 

Edited by darkG
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 9:39 AM, darkG said:

The lone hatchet fish, not timid as they are supposed to but packing some attitude, often chasing the other fish away. 😎

P3220108.jpg.1b0c9cb1aaf7245f1a1006af4c4d896f.jpg

A lone hatchet fish will act unusual and more aggressive  because it is likely under stress, that behavior should return to normal once numbers increase; right now as a lone fish it likely sees itself as "fins to the glass" in need to be constantly alert, there is security in numbers.

13 hours ago, Streetwise said:

This is one of my favorite all-time photographs for our hobby.

Thank you!

(Sometimes when a photo turns out technically mediocre, as in what, 97% of my fish pics, cropping can make it less useless. I think it's maybe the most underrated "effect".)

• Like 2

I had a plastic tube, a cheap organza bag (for use in filter) and a rubber band, - > BBS sieve.

While I could do it like Cory does it and just add the brine too, in this case I already struggle to keep the pH down in this temporary tank. The big tank is still fishless. 

Well yeah, so at least it works hatching in a plastic box without airstone or anything, as expected, though the hatch rate was probably poor - as expected. 

Removed the clutches of weeping moss from the wood and put Taiwan moss instead, and a couple of Hygrophila. Removed pebbles piles and put found granite rocks, mixed in with weeping moss. Finally planted the Bacopa caroliniana too. I find no place for the piece off Limnophila sessiflora so it ill remain a floater 👍 or go in the other tank. 

IMG_20210328_234257_BURST004.jpg.941bf22c209ae5ca28b30a05b3bde18c.jpg

BeforeIMG_20210327_155400.jpg

Edited by darkG
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

I was looking at a shrimp carrying eggs, and saw some disgusting worm-things looking back at me. Of course it was the baby / foetus shrimp's eyes!

Then, surprised, I saw a shrimpling walking about. All five egged females still carry their eggs, so maybe one or two made an early run for it? Or did a batch get released and she is already carrying the next? 

The sixth lady is still not carrying, but she is the largest one. Possibly not the oldest or most mature; she was the last to show a distinct saddle, I think, and the colour is rather meh. She looks male, honestly. 

I still haven't dealt with the small tank. Trying to trade or give the fish away. One cardinal tetra developed a fuzz. I kept it in a separate container with salt and warmer water and even some kind of water treatment chemical. It seems to recover, but had a really rough time. I'd prefer not giving away unwell fish. 

The coir doesn't seem to bring the pH down at all. 

Edited by darkG

I finally managed to give away the random fish. The existing lamp isn't bad, I'd say, but it's short. I found three low voltage spot lights and added them thusly:

IMG_20210402_050219.jpg.220662f369c650e484c557ecc503761f.jpg

They are rather weak and warm-colour, but I'll just decide to like this and the asymmetry. 🙂

Edited by darkG
  • Like 1