Fish Food - Xtreme Krill Flakes

Gigrantor

After keeping fish for a couple years on a larger scale, I've noticed a huge difference during the rotation of food. It seems like my guppies are more lively and get to a larger size on Xtreme krill flakes. I also feel like my tanks parameters don't foul as quickly.  Has anyone else noticed this? Or with any other foods? It makes me want to try other foods to optimize!

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 7:22 PM, Gigrantor said:

I also feel like my tanks parameters don't foul as quickly.  Has anyone else noticed this? Or with any other foods? It makes me want to try other foods to optimize!

I've tried a "few" flake foods.  I definitely like the thicker nature to the xtreme variety and the ingredients work for my own requirements.  Especially the spirulina varieties.

I have tried cobalt, hikari, tetra, and a few others.  I honestly prefer a pellet, but need a sinking one for my fish and just use vibra bites instead.  I would think the success you're seeing is due to their thicker consistency and due to the protein % on the foods.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 10:27 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I honestly prefer a pellet, but need a sinking one for my fish and just use vibra bites instead.  I would think the success you're seeing is due to their thicker consistency and due to the protein % on the foods.

I'm finding that my tanks, which are mostly full of guppies, prefer something that floats at the top a little longer. Vibrabites were in the last rotation of food and I feel like my fish aren't very interested in scavenging off the bottom since they sink so quickly. Also, I try my best to crumble the "larger" pellets into as much of a powder as I can for the fry and juveniles, but they only break down so much. I've just never seen my fish hit any food as hard as they hit Xtreme flakes. 

As for them putting on size much more quickly, I definitely agree the protein content and better ingredients are the causation!

On 7/4/2022 at 9:36 PM, Fish Folk said:

It’s a really great flake food! Love it. Unfortunately, no LFS carries. I but from Co-Op.

Just another reason to shop at the Co-Op even more... I have to keep reminding myself I don't always have to hit the free shipping 🙂

On 7/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, Gigrantor said:

I'm finding that my tanks, which are mostly full of guppies, prefer something that floats at the top a little longer. Vibrabites were in the last rotation of food and I feel like my fish aren't very interested in scavenging off the bottom since they sink so quickly. Also, I try my best to crumble the "larger" pellets into as much of a powder as I can for the fry and juveniles, but they only break down so much. I've just never seen my fish hit any food as hard as they hit Xtreme flakes. 

If you haven't definitely try the semi-floating pellets.  The smaller ones seem to work better for me (depends on your fish).  But those definitely separate to different parts of the tank.

I keep mostly corydoras, so I definitely prefer things on the bottom of the substrate for them.

Has anyone ever messed with repashy in great lengths here? I want to try it out, but haven't pulled the trigger on the entire process yet. Pros/Cons?

On 7/4/2022 at 10:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you haven't definitely try the semi-floating pellets.  The smaller ones seem to work better for me (depends on your fish).  But those definitely separate to different parts of the tank.

Are those the nano pellets you're referring to? I've tried and liked them a lot. Doesn't seem to get the same feeding frenzy as the flakes, but sometimes that's desired because I have certain bottom feeders too! 

On 7/4/2022 at 8:45 PM, Gigrantor said:

Are those the nano pellets you're referring to? I've tried and liked them a lot. Doesn't seem to get the same feeding frenzy as the flakes, but sometimes that's desired because I have certain bottom feeders too! 

There is a betta, nano, and then just a generic "pellet" that might or might not be renamed.  There is also larger ones for cichlids and stuff.  Let me go check what size the ones I have are.

I have the "semi-floating 1.5mm pellets".  I actually think after these things sit in the water for a bit they are too big for a lot of my fish.  There are smaller varieties.  I've kept tiger barbs, odessa barbs, and other things around that size.  They ate them, but I think they would've had an easier time with something 1.0mm or smaller.

On 7/4/2022 at 8:22 PM, Gigrantor said:

After keeping fish for a couple years on a larger scale, I've noticed a huge difference during the rotation of food. It seems like my guppies are more lively and get to a larger size on Xtreme krill flakes. I also feel like my tanks parameters don't foul as quickly.  Has anyone else noticed this? Or with any other foods? It makes me want to try other foods to optimize!

The Xtreme krill flkes, Xtreme Nano, most of the Bug Bite line (where soldier fly is first ingredient), and BBS result in cleaner water and better growth for me. Only fish that perform better are the fish outside eating mosquitoes and other live bugs. Their water parameters are always good, despite the debris that ends up in the patio ponds...

On 7/4/2022 at 9:45 PM, Gigrantor said:

Has anyone ever messed with repashy in great lengths here? I want to try it out, but haven't pulled the trigger on the entire process yet. Pros/Cons?

@Guppysnail has some of the most innovative approaches for preparing (and storing) Repashy. When I can afford to buy some more, it's a hit with snails, shrimp, fish and Karma the turtle.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 8:45 PM, Gigrantor said:

Not sure I understand, but yes I have used it plenty of times.  There's nothing to be afraid of or intimidated by and it's an extremely useful food to have around.  It allows you to dose meds pretty easily if you need to as well, vitachem, and other additives you'd want to feed your fish (ex: turmeric).

I use it for the sake of specialized diets and mostly having omnivores. Coming to the forums and seeing other's methods for how they use the product has been pretty interesting.  I never would've considered it myself, but mixing blends is a great way to feed omnivores as well. (community blend + soilent green, as an example)

My fish never really were fans of flake food. Until they got a taste for Xtreme krill and spirulina. So I started trying others. The only other flakes I (my fish) really like that I think are good quality are seachem shrimp flakes and ocean nutrition brine shrimp plus. 
I find I get the best results health size etc by feeding variety rather than just “the best”. No one food has everything but a combination will cover most bases. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

The krill flake is a favorite in my tanks. They love it. I think the only think that beats it out is live baby brine shrimp. 
Repashy foods aren’t devoured with the same vigor but I generally am painting them onto surfaces for my plecos and the mollies come along and eventually pick it all off. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 2:31 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Not sure I understand, but yes I have used it plenty of times.  There's nothing to be afraid of or intimidated by and it's an extremely useful food to have around.  It allows you to dose meds pretty easily if you need to as well, vitachem, and other additives you'd want to feed your fish (ex: turmeric).

Just meant in the sense of how well is it liked across the board? Will fish frenzy over it or will it just sit around for awhile? Is it worth the minor expense and hassle of preparing it? Has anyone had it cloud or foul water? Things like that. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 8:26 AM, Gigrantor said:

Just meant in the sense of how well is it liked across the board? Will fish frenzy over it or will it just sit around for awhile? Is it worth the minor expense and hassle of preparing it? Has anyone had it cloud or foul water? Things like that. 

No water issues for me. Cory made a repashy thread, I'd recommend checking it out as well as vlog videos when he feeds it in the fish room.

My fish, panda corys, definitely enjoy the food and it's easy to eat for them. After a certain period it is either gone over time or slowly dissolves into the water column. The difference between it sitting there or not is down to how you mold it, what your fish like, and what the flow on the tank is like.

Essentially, think of it like a better version of sera o-nip tabs when feeding it. That's the type of interaction. I feed it late at night for most fish that eat after lights out. Works really well for that type of use as well as just normal feeding for very active fish that go after it.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:26 AM, Gigrantor said:

Is it worth the minor expense and hassle of preparing it?

I try to always have some around.

On 7/4/2022 at 11:45 PM, Gigrantor said:

Has anyone ever messed with repashy in great lengths here?

I recently made Repashy for my snails for the first time!  It was easy to work with, easy to slice into whatever size you need. You can store the prepared food in the fridge for 2 weeks or freeze it for 6 months. Took 20 minutes for it to set.  And yep, some people dip things into it when it is first mixed - ie: pleco caves, decorations, etc, and the aquatic life will graze on it.  I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds like fun and I plan to do it on my next batch.  My fish like it too. The only downside I have noticed so far is that it will become a goo pile if they don't eat it.  They like it, don't get me wrong, but I didn't know how much to give them at first.  But in my tank the food stayed where I placed it, and I just sucked up the uneaten goo with a turkey baster.  And my tank does have quite a bit of current.

As far as Xtreme krill flakes, I switched to them on Friday.  The fish love them!  I was using Aqueon flakes before, but with the Xtreme Krill flakes they were a lot more excited!  Also the flakes are red, and when my black neons eat it, I can see the red food through their clear jaw while they are chewing it, and then it disappears as they swallow it down.  Fun to watch!  LOL

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have the "semi-floating 1.5mm pellets". 

Fed them this morning to the tank without the HoB so I didn't really care how long they floated.  It's been 4+ hours and still floating. 

Just to give an idea on the flake vs. pellets for those who do have top feeding fish! Some will sink immediately, the other stuff might take a while.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 12:55 AM, Torrey said:

The Xtreme krill flkes, Xtreme Nano, most of the Bug Bite line (where soldier fly is first ingredient), and BBS result in cleaner water and better growth for me. Only fish that perform better are the fish outside eating mosquitoes and other live bugs. Their water parameters are always good, despite the debris that ends up in the patio ponds...

@Guppysnail has some of the most innovative approaches for preparing (and storing) Repashy. When I can afford to buy some more, it's a hit with snails, shrimp, fish and Karma the turtle.

What's BBS🤔

I like repashy but I don’t tend to used it a lot. I used it more when I have fry and just use it out of the bottle. A little on a chop stick goes a long way. I used a few foods. I’m home and feed a few times a day.

extreme krill flakes, bbs,”Blackworm & Plankton, Krill, Spirulina Flake Mix”, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, bug bites.

Then I add in extreme scrapers(algae/cellulos)for brittnose plecos, corys and the clown fish seem to indulge some to. 

last I feed HIKARI Sinking Wafers for many plecos that are more carnivorous. Like Leopard frog Pleco and king tiger pleco. They will eat the kill flakes that fall and so on. They will some times eat the scrappers. Wood is also a most even though they eat more meat. I thing iylt keeps there guys good. 

don’t look ata list like that and think I need that. You don’t krill flakes everyday might not be the way I would go with rephasy once a week or bug bites. They don’t foul the water and fish seem to like them. I use the small bite’s for all my fish you may want to look into them. 

one last thing coop has a lower price on extreme krill than Amazon