Ants invasion

Karen B.

Greetings!

I have been seeing more and more ants in my apartment - it’s an old building so I didn’t really panic as it’s not unusual but it’s getting to the point I will have to tell my landlord.

However, as I have 8 aquariums, I want to be aware of what is safe vs isn’t as I don’t want to harm my fish or let him use anything that could.

Any of you have experience in the matter?

Thank you

I get a lot of ants move in from outdoors (old house with lots of cracks and crevices to enter) and have pets and tanks. The best solution I have found for ants is stuff called "Terro". It is a thick, clear syrup inside a plastic tray and you tear the end off to expose the bait. The ants drink it (so it will attract a ton initially) and they take it back to the colony and the whole colony eats it. It usually drastically reduces the ants within 24-48 hours and then I will see occasional "scout" ants for a bit after. I buy it at the hardware store and it really is amazing. I like how it's not a spray in the air and there's no residue to worry about. Sometimes I will add a few crumbs of whatever they were going after into the container before placing it down flat.

image.png.8f194e070131d7a4eb07314ad3b7f5b2.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 6:19 PM, Pepere said:

Terro in essence is borax and sugar water in a dispenser.

Yes, this ^

I usually use the Terro for conveninece. When ants invaded the cat food bowl, I dumped a bunch of borax over the food and blocked it off so the cats couldn't get it (they wouldn't eat it with the borax, but I don't dare risk it). Ants carried the cat food and borax back and were gone within days. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, Pepere said:

Terro in essence is borax and sugar water in a dispenser.

I make my own.  The same mule team borax you use as a laundry booster. Toxic to ants and many other insects.

1/2 cup warm water

1/4 cup sugar

1 tbsp borax.

mix well till all dissolved

soak up with cotton balls.

put cotton balls on a smallbit of aluminum foil to protect whatever you place it on.

place where you see ants, esp near doors and windows.

watch the ants swarm to it and a few days later notice there are no more ants around.

Hey thanks. I spend a fortune every year to be rid o ants. My house is built on I believe one huge and world. During rainy times they flood inside but. Never see them otherwise. This will save me quite a bit of $

• Like 1

I use Terro stuff too. Be careful when you trim the spout/opening. I had some leak out on my counter and floor and the liquid set up like concrete and I could hardly chisel it off.  Or set it on something to protect surfaces. 

I’ve also heard cleaning off their scent trails works - you’ve seen how they March in lines. I’ve used Windex with vinegar this year (not spaying near a tank) and it helped. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have used Terro  liquid gel is very good    the liquid bottle last longer then the baits and cheaper Click Here  1-2 drops of the Terro liquid does it , sometimes here  Terro is hard to find at my location 

I also recommend I have a bug guy come in spray my house 1-2 times a year for everything   I have ants real  bad on a regular bases he left me some  Advion Ant Advion gel  Click her to Amazon for ants  it works very well  too 1 -2 drop does wonders  1 tube lasted me for 1 year i put on a little piece of wax paper  i have also used Terro  gel on wax paper too and i put where my dog can not reach ,,  The Advion Ant needs to  be in the fridge to keep longer i put in a plastic bag and in a bowl 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 2

I use the Terro, because after discussing with my vet ("I'm more worried about the damage the plastic will do to their gums than the borax in the Terro. Unless you are putting out 10 traps in reach of the dogs?") that seemed the safest option. Yes, litle dog managed to eat a trap. We had yellow foam to pick up for 2 days, and the dog had the cleanest intestinal track one can have without swallowing the GoLytely for a colonoscopy.

If an ant is squished, it smells like borax, they never stick around for more than a few days except the week the forest fire was less than 2 miles away. The turtle has opinions about the weird tasting ants, and asks for more worms to cleanse the pallete (result of ants coming in for water in 3% humidity and horrible air quality).

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2022 at 5:23 PM, AndreaW said:

I get a lot of ants move in from outdoors (old house with lots of cracks and crevices to enter) and have pets and tanks. The best solution I have found for ants is stuff called "Terro". It is a thick, clear syrup inside a plastic tray and you tear the end off to expose the bait. The ants drink it (so it will attract a ton initially) and they take it back to the colony and the whole colony eats it. It usually drastically reduces the ants within 24-48 hours and then I will see occasional "scout" ants for a bit after. I buy it at the hardware store and it really is amazing. I like how it's not a spray in the air and there's no residue to worry about. Sometimes I will add a few crumbs of whatever they were going after into the container before placing it down flat.

image.png.8f194e070131d7a4eb07314ad3b7f5b2.png

I must be doing it wrong!   I use the bottled Terro, and it seems to attract them. Multiple droplets in a line disappear over night.  This goes on for at least a week. Eventually they start to ignore it.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:29 PM, Karen B. said:

Greetings!

I have been seeing more and more ants in my apartment - it’s an old building so I didn’t really panic as it’s not unusual but it’s getting to the point I will have to tell my landlord.

However, as I have 8 aquariums, I want to be aware of what is safe vs isn’t as I don’t want to harm my fish or let him use anything that could.

Any of you have experience in the matter?

Thank you

I have the same issues.  This year they seem to be attracted to mouthwash and toothpaste in the bathroom.  They are everywhere!  Terro and Ortho Home Defense liquid bug spray knocks them back, but never seems to eradicate them.  There are still scouts in every room. 

On 7/1/2022 at 8:21 AM, Tanked said:

I use the bottled Terro, and it seems to attract them. Multiple droplets in a line disappear over night.

That's actually how it works. They drink it up and take it back to the colony and regurgitate it for the rest of the colony to eat. You do have an influx of ants at first as they discover it and send out the scent that brings other worker ants to gather it up. Spraying the ants you see kills them and never gets back to the colony, so you are only killing a small portion of what is actually there, while the colony is still growing, unseen.

When I first started using it, it must have been a HUGE colony because they kept coming for days and I kept having to put more out. Eventually, they faded away and I would only see a few scout ants here and there. Now, I put the bait out any time I find ants that have discovered a food source. I deal with the worker ants for a day or two and then we are back to a few scout ants again. 

Ants are annoying because of the colony. They are constantly growing and spreading and recolonizing, so to get rid of the colony, you have to be persistent and patient to allow the ants to take the food back to the colony to poison the ants you never see.

On 6/30/2022 at 3:58 PM, Stef said:

I had some leak out on my counter and floor and the liquid set up like concrete and I could hardly chisel it off.

Yes, it does harden. It's a sugar-based liquid. If any spills, wet a paper towel and let it sit on the spill to help soften it so you can wipe it up.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 10:57 AM, AndreaW said:

That's actually how it works. They drink it up and take it back to the colony and regurgitate it for the rest of the colony to eat. You do have an influx of ants at first as they discover it and send out the scent that brings other worker ants to gather it up.

That is actually good to know.  I had been wondering if they had changed the formula.  The first bottle I had purchased years earlier was a red liquid and I seemed to remember it working better.

Terro is borax mixed with a sugar solution. It’s about 6% borax. I don’t know if you could dyi it but it’s probably easier not to. If you know where they are coming from like a small hole in the window sill. You can put DE in the hole use a bottle and just shoot some in a hole. I works by cutting the exoskeleton. You need to wear a mask because it is a fine powder that is very sharp and can damage your lungs. There are other pesticides that are fish and pet safe but I am uncomfortable sharing as some peoples views on chemical pesticides. I think Teri is good it is not perfect but I will for sure. Do you know what type of ant you have?

i know when it is spring and fall they come out the most  for me I have to put everything in the fridge or air tight container with lid due to the ants ,, Yes the Terro will make all the ants comes out but that is a great thing like @AndreaW said they carry back to the nest and share   Around my kitchen sink there is a window and my bathroom they come up from my shower drain i get them bad I just put pieces of wax paper with the Ant solution  when i see them come out  and  put the paper  around in my kitchen and bathroom in different  spots