Raccons keep messing with ponds

Alex Stafrace

I have a couple stock tank ponds(45 and 110 gal) and raccons keep pulling out the plants and who knows what else . I saw one going at it and I chased it off . Any advice on trying to keep them away. 

Proof attached *16563498548383707930863379179682.jpg.ff9f9ab957cb8356e24610c8c02e9d29.jpg16563498348415463853311082767446.jpg.3e5679c44e5ddd48f4469bbb554af7ef.jpg

Edited by Alex Stafrace

• Administrators

I've built tops in the past. Whether you use something like chicken wire or greenhouse panels. Sometimes you can find a free window on craigslist or something that is a fit.  Just depends on how good it needs to appear.

In my area in Florida I will sometimes trap the racoons if a big pack of them becomes a problem.  I kept mostly small fish and shrimp in my tubs.  So far the only damage they have done is pulling out the sponge filters and they stole the feed drum off of the autofeeder and ran away with it.  Club members have had racoons or otters flip big fish like koi out of the ponds to eat them. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 9:47 AM, Alex Stafrace said:

Thanks for responses all . Not to worried about the fish but they keep getting to the plants. I will keep checking local classifieds to see If I can find something to cover them.

Poultry wire (chicken wire) comes in a vinyl coated variety.  Here's the link to the Home Depot.  You can search the internet for other sources, including fb marketplace near you or craigslist.  It's summer time so people may have extra after their projects.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-x-2-ft-x-25-ft-PVC-Coated-Poultry-Netting-308452EB/205960876

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, Alex Stafrace said:

I have a couple stock tank ponds(45 and 110 gal) and raccons keep pulling out the plants and who knows what else . I saw one going at it and I chased it off . Any advice on trying to keep them away. 

Proof attached *16563498548383707930863379179682.jpg.ff9f9ab957cb8356e24610c8c02e9d29.jpg16563498348415463853311082767446.jpg.3e5679c44e5ddd48f4469bbb554af7ef.jpg

We provided the 'coons there own pond (a kiddie pool) and threw leftovers (pruned aquarium plants, culled fish, etc) in there. Hardware cloth frames over the stock tanks, and get locks (can be as simple as a ratcheted strap that locking D rings attach the frame to) because the coons are smart. All they need is to watch you open a single pond once, and they will *all* know after one shows the rest of them.

We've moved into their environment, we found it was easier and less stressful to work with them than fight them. A double fence around chciken coops and ponds also works, as long as the roof is further away than the length of their arms ~18", and the space between the double fencing is the same. If any try to get friendly in daylight hours, call animal control.

@StevesFishTanks  What area are you in we don’t have many raccoons left here.Otters are the meanest animals there are and smart. 

@Alex Stafrace I would use a frame or screws with washers and hardware Cloth. I found chicken wire is not strong enough to stop raccoons from getting chickens, but the hardware cloth does. It you make a frame you can take if off in the day and add it at night. You can put a latch on two spots so they can’t lift it off. They are fairly smart and you might have to add a lock to the. I tried using a bolt and nut and the unscrewed them. There hands are very similar to ours. I’m in sure of your tools or ability but I(a friend) bend pipe with the pipe bender to go over it and I used 3-4latches with at least to locks. My kids tried to get get with there small hands and when the couldn’t I was happy and I know my kids are at t least as smart as a raccoon . 

Edited by Brandon p

We aren’t to far then I’m about 2 hours south. I don’t have many raccoons left in my area but things aren’t built up and there are lots of coyotes, there is a huge Nile monitor that hang around across the street, the tegu. I worked at Lakewood Ranch awhile back and the had issues. We used to raccoons a couple of years ago so that part of how I know how to make the tops I did. It would be hard to taller plants in that type cover. Maybe a cage type cover. My covers were also to stop the chickens from eating the plants in mine but I had short plants and floaters. Chickens are pretty good fishermen as long as they don’t fall in. They don’t swim great

One thing that's worked for my ponds really well is society garlic. You can have it around the edge or planted in your pond (as long as the leaves are above water). The raccoons hate the smell when they disturb it. It smells like garlic when you rustle it. More so if you damage it. They don't come to my ponds anymore. Comes in regular, variegated and variegated purplish.