What is the oldest aquarium equipment/decor you own?

Root

The other day I was at a thrift store and saw an old aquarium for sale that was stuffed with equipment from the 80s. Some of the equipment reminded me of my mom’s tank she had in the 90s and then I started to wonder if there's someone out there that still has that one piece of equipment that is still going strong or that old castle that's been in the family for years. If this is you, what is that one piece of equipment that is tried and true or that piece of decor that is the family staple? Or what is that one item that you remember growing up or would be unheard of to new hobbists today? 

Edited by Paul R
Typo

Over the years I have lost some of the items I had, but I remember my mom had this huge castle in her tank and it stayed with the family for many years. She eventually gave it to my uncle and I don't know whatever happened to it. It was definitely a conversation starter and I remember we had two Striped Raphael Catfish that lived in it. As a kid I would get so mad because they only came out at night when I had to go to bed and I thought they were the coolest fish ever.

I almost bought the tank at the thrift store to do a retro styled tank, but my wife gave me a big no. The old seals did look sketchy, but hey...lol

Probably the oldest stuff I have is some old pieces of rock that I've used forever. Next oldest would be a piece of coral (photo below) bought in the 70s-80s that now lives in the bottom of my TV cabinet as I don't have a saltwater tank up currently. It came from the old Mantua Tropical Fish and Pet Island. It had been on a shelf behind the checkout for as long as I could remember and I always wanted it, and I finally saved up the money to get it. It's a great piece of coral for a saltwater tank as it has a lot of caves, shelves and hiding places. I always thought it would make a great home for a ribbon eel, but I never bought one. If I ever do another saltwater tank, it'll be a central piece. It's a very impressive piece of coral.

IMG_20220126_204520929.jpg

I was the only one in the family with a long term interest in keeping fish, so heirlooms are almost nonexistent. Somewhere around 1969 I dragged home a discarded 10 gallon black steel aquarium stand. Now my brother and I had to talk mom into getting an aquarium to put on it. Years later the aquarium and stand were finally replaced with a 29 gallon tank that I think mom liked more than I did.   In mom's waning years, the 10 gallon aquarium and s/s trapezoidal lid became a tableau/nightlight on the bookshelf.  Instead of fish there were rocks, logs, a realistic looking deer family and a forest of repurposed aquarium plants. 

I don't remember what happened to the aquarium, but with the arrival of LEDs, I wish that I would have at least kept that light.  The original black steel aquarium stand is now a plant stand.

• Like 1

My dad had a tank in the 80’s one of those old 20gallon hexagon acrylic tanks. We sold everything from that setup except a 1987 Second Nature Challenger 1 which is used on my 5 gallon vintage aquarium. It fits the theme and was always the most reliable of air pumps I have ever owned. Quiet too.

I believe my python is from the 90’s. We have had it in my house for as long as I can remember. We had to replace an tank flow switch valve, but otherwise bulletproof.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:50 AM, gardenman said:

Probably the oldest stuff I have is some old pieces of rock that I've used forever. Next oldest would be a piece of coral (photo below) bought in the 70s-80s that now lives in the bottom of my TV cabinet as I don't have a saltwater tank up currently. It came from the old Mantua Tropical Fish and Pet Island. It had been on a shelf behind the checkout for as long as I could remember and I always wanted it, and I finally saved up the money to get it. It's a great piece of coral for a saltwater tank as it has a lot of caves, shelves and hiding places. I always thought it would make a great home for a ribbon eel, but I never bought one. If I ever do another saltwater tank, it'll be a central piece. It's a very impressive piece of coral.

IMG_20220126_204520929.jpg

Yeah, that is a beautiful piece. Please post if you do one. I'd love to see that with the ribbon eel 

On 6/20/2022 at 12:36 PM, Brandon p said:

I have a tank that is over 60 years but I’m in my 40’s. The oldest I have had running is 24 years. It’s changed and fish, new plants. The substrate has been there since day one.

That is awesome. That is nice to hear about substrate. I am sure that stuff is packed with bacteria and nutrients. Growing up it was a thing in our family to replace the substrate during the yearly aquarium deep clean or just wash it out with dawn  🤦‍♂️😑

I bought this clam shell in La Jolla in 1979. I used it in my 55 gallon salt water tank for decoration for a while. Now it's a reminder of the good times we had on that trip. I keep it on display in a cabinet with other trinkets. 

20220620_133039.jpg.47a28a9fe6e3d914abb2c1502c2decc9.jpg

Maybe a better photo.

20220620_133110.jpg.c03c31a7f3ab30d0231ba62ff10bb6f1.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 1:48 PM, DaveO said:

I bought this clam shell in La Jolla in 1979. I used it in my 55 gallon salt water tank for decoration for a while. Now it's a reminder of the good times we had on that trip. I keep it on display in a cabinet with other trinkets. 

Maybe a better photo.

I love it! I love that substrate in your tank too! What kind is that? 

On 6/20/2022 at 2:48 PM, DaveO said:

Maybe a better photo.

Yes--the giant clam! I have one of these and some large corals packed away--they came from a relative's late 1970's early1980's obsession with breeding oscars, I am told. Apparently this relative got MTS and way too many oscars, and part of the decor was the corals and these clams, which eventually found their way to me. Seeing yours makes me want to find mine and display it. So theme-y!

• Like 1